FSU @ GT 2015

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
The announcers made a thing about how flu came in on Thursday night. Perhaps we should provide this as a perk for our visitors. ..:happy:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We got manhandled by notre dame imo, It was only close because of the final part of the 4th when we made a little come back besides that we didn't look to good. But I do agree we should have a way better year this year.

They won comfortably in the end no doubt. But just a couple breaks might have changed that outcome. I feel your sentiment though. I was sitting in the stands amazed a 230+ lb linebacker was able to blanket cover our abacks. Literally just had to shake my head and say "damn". But other than that match up I never thought our guys were being manhandled. Just missed too many assignments and got behind the chains a little too much. Now ND lost a stud DT preseason...not sure how awesome their D could have been with him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They won comfortably in the end no doubt. But just a couple breaks might have changed that outcome. I feel your sentiment though. I was sitting in the stands amazed a 230+ lb linebacker was able to blanket cover our abacks. Literally just had to shake my head and say "damn". But other than that match up I never thought our guys were being manhandled. Just missed too many assignments and got behind the chains a little too much. Now ND lost a stud DT preseason...not sure how awesome their D could have been with him.

I thought safety Drue Tranquill was beast up until he hurt himself celebrating. Jaylon Smith, the LB, was everything they hyped him up to be. ND's defense that first half didn't give us any breathing room. Seemed like every gap was filled, and when we pitched it, they had atleast 2 guys on the ball immediately. A good portion of our offense came in the 4th quarter when they pretty much played soft defense.

ND's defensive performance (up until the 2 BB passes for TDs) ranked right up there with our nightmare performance against LSU in the Peach Bowl. We couldn't sustain any offensive momentum.

Give ND credit where credit is due...they were good on that day, and we didn't execute well enough to neutralize their speed and playmakers on defense. Our 2014 team would have run roughshod on ND though...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I thought safety Drue Tranquill was beast up until he hurt himself celebrating. Jaylon Smith, the LB, was everything they hyped him up to be. ND's defense that first half didn't give us any breathing room. Seemed like every gap was filled, and when we pitched it, they had atleast 2 guys on the ball immediately. A good portion of our offense came in the 4th quarter when they pretty much played soft defense.

ND's defensive performance (up until the 2 BB passes for TDs) ranked right up there with our nightmare performance against LSU in the Peach Bowl. We couldn't sustain any offensive momentum.

Give ND credit where credit is due...they were good on that day, and we didn't execute well enough to neutralize their speed and playmakers on defense. Our 2014 team would have run roughshod on ND though...
Same thoughts here, and even when we seemed to get something going it got shut down real quick.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Outside a handful of plays, ND's offense struggled to sustain drives, too. They made a few more plays than we did offensively, that was the difference. But give them credit, they made 'em and we didn't.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside a handful of plays, ND's offense struggled to sustain drives, too. They made a few more plays than we did offensively, that was the difference. But give them credit, they made 'em and we didn't.

Not saying we were a good team last year, but at the highest levels of football, it's more about containing your own mistakes than the other team. If you look at the Clemson / 'Bama national championship game, most of the scores were off of big plays because the other team made mistakes. Clemson, if not for f'ing up on defense a few times, should have beat 'Bama. But they couldn't contain their own mistakes and 'Bama took advantage and won.

Chan Gailey, for all of his bland play calling, was big on not beating ourselves. It got us a lot of 7 win seasons, but it made for some boring football at times. The NFL is a league full of coaches who play it safe. Outside of following the players, I hate watching the NFL.

That ND game last year was actually a good game by our defense...but they let big plays beat them. ND's offense was able to hit on plays, our offense was not able to hit on big plays (or much of any plays) except for the two BB passes at the end. That was the difference.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

They gave Clemson all they could handle a couple of weeks later on a soaked field. Clemson jumped out to an early lead on a couple of big plays, but ND outplayed them after that. ND handled Clemson's offense better than anybody else including Bama IMO. ND came close to putting that game into OT, and I think they would have won. Clemson didn't have much left.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They gave Clemson all they could handle a couple of weeks later on a soaked field. Clemson jumped out to an early lead on a couple of big plays, but ND outplayed them after that. ND handled Clemson's offense better than anybody else including Bama IMO. ND came close to putting that game into OT, and I think they would have won. Clemson didn't have much left.

That was a good ND team last year. There's a reason why they were ranked #9 when we played them, and ended the season at #11. That was a legit team...and we saw it when they beat us.