FSU game thread

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Camp is broken and game prep begins.

I think we catch FSU at a good time. One of the most difficult things to attain in sport is sustained excellence. More often there is some degree of let down. It takes incredible mental discipline not to get a little smug after a dominant season. It is common to lose the competitive edge.

We're picked 9th in conference. I don't think it is widely accepted yet that GT is on the rise. They have gone through their camp unafraid of their game against GT. I'm certain their coach is warning the players not to look past the GT game, but will the players do it?

Things are set-up nicely for them to be a little flat-footed, if not physically then mentally or in terms of motivation.

If FSU comes out sharp, then kudos to their staff.

We may not win. But I do think we catch them at as good of a time as we can.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Realistically, Tech is an underdog in this game. On paper, they should win. They have more talent, went undefeated last year until the bowl game, etc.

Gold Colored Glasses?

I'm not at all sold on F$U. They had half the team quit on the previous season, got drubbed 3-63 in the bowl game, sued their conference, lost their star Heisman-candidate QB (and RB and WRs and DTs and LBs and...), and brought in a bunch of NIL free agents to 'reload'. The offense was just 'ok' without Travis last year, and they lose him and the other key contributors. Uiagalelei was 43rd in QBR, 54th in passing yards, 75th in QB rushing yards (only 219 on the season) last season at OR St. (and there's reasons he's not at Clemson.) I'm not really buying the hype on him. They have enough talent (on paper) to win a lot of games. But it's a lot of question marks. I really question if all the new (pay to play) faces can gel, especially in game one and especially given the toxicity and distraction around the program.

On the other hand. I'm trying really hard to temper my enthusiasm about what Key and company are building. Key is an old school ball coach, he's not one to be satisfied or hand out idle praise. He's expressed a lot of appreciation for how this team has stepped up and pulled together. On offense, we return all the key players from a squad that got pretty good by the end of last season. Honestly, Haynes King was similar in passing stats to Uiagalelei. But, he was also a top 10 rushing QB, which adds a whole other dynamic to his game. The interceptions held him back in his stats and he really needs to improve there. But I hope he'll be in less situations where he needs to take risks to try to win. The defense is a big neon question mark. But all the indications are that the DL has made a big leap and that should help the whole unit. We brought in some key transfers, but we also have some returning leaders at pretty much every position. The tone around the program is really optimistic. We're setting fundraising records, putting together one of our best recruiting classes ever, a lot of enthusiasm and positivity.

I like what we're bringing to this game. I have confidence we'll be, at worst, competitive with F$U.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
So, let me get this straight. Tech is undefeated against FSU in season openers. Tech is undefeated in Ireland. And we're combining the two?!? I like our chances!

Pretty much. As I looked this up, I had to go all the way back to 2002 to find our last FBS win at Boddy Dodd as a season opener (ironically my first ever GT game). It made perfect sense that we seldom played FBS teams as a season opener under CPJ. And hopefully we end the stupid MBS thing in 2026.

Objectively FSU is better, but there’s more uncertainty there as well. I’m excited about our chances and typically hit peak delusion right as toe meets leather of week 1 (0 this season).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Realistically, Tech is an underdog in this game. On paper, they should win. They have more talent, went undefeated last year until the bowl game, etc.

Gold Colored Glasses?

I'm not at all sold on F$U. They had half the team quit on the previous season, got drubbed 3-63 in the bowl game, sued their conference, lost their star Heisman-candidate QB (and RB and WRs and DTs and LBs and...), and brought in a bunch of NIL free agents to 'reload'. The offense was just 'ok' without Travis last year, and they lose him and the other key contributors. Uiagalelei was 43rd in QBR, 54th in passing yards, 75th in QB rushing yards (only 219 on the season) last season at OR St. (and there's reasons he's not at Clemson.) I'm not really buying the hype on him. They have enough talent (on paper) to win a lot of games. But it's a lot of question marks. I really question if all the new (pay to play) faces can gel, especially in game one and especially given the toxicity and distraction around the program.

On the other hand. I'm trying really hard to temper my enthusiasm about what Key and company are building. Key is an old school ball coach, he's not one to be satisfied or hand out idle praise. He's expressed a lot of appreciation for how this team has stepped up and pulled together. On offense, we return all the key players from a squad that got pretty good by the end of last season. Honestly, Haynes King was similar in passing stats to Uiagalelei. But, he was also a top 10 rushing QB, which adds a whole other dynamic to his game. The interceptions held him back in his stats and he really needs to improve there. But I hope he'll be in less situations where he needs to take risks to try to win. The defense is a big neon question mark. But all the indications are that the DL has made a big leap and that should help the whole unit. We brought in some key transfers, but we also have some returning leaders at pretty much every position. The tone around the program is really optimistic. We're setting fundraising records, putting together one of our best recruiting classes ever, a lot of enthusiasm and positivity.

I like what we're bringing to this game. I have confidence we'll be, at worst, competitive with F$U.
Very well put.
Like to add:

Thru out year we seemed to score great in second quarter and then go quiet in the 3rd.
Any obervations on that??

At end of year against Clemson and Ga our ol and run game did not exceed their average yards given up. Also We did not do better than average against uva and but did much better at ucf. However at ucf the qb threw 13 passes and ran 12 times . This year we are without Dontae and we have a thin rb room ( damn freshman fumble) we cant plan on qb running so much.

It seems like from the start we need to lean on and hope for great improvement from the WR room. It looks loaded.
Dreaming= It would be so sweet if post ireland the headline is about blackburn and how gt stuck with him.

In 23 King threw for over 4 games 300 yds in games with 1 or fewer int. However in 3 games ( clem 4, bc 3, bg 2) he threw over half of his int.

Also we have a very good fg kicker.
Go Jackets

Just some points.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Very well put.
Like to add:

Thru out year we seemed to score great in second quarter and then go quiet in the 3rd.
Any obervations on that??

At end of year against Clemson and Ga our ol and run game did not exceed their average yards given up. Also We did not do better than average against uva and but did much better at ucf. However at ucf the qb threw 13 passes and ran 12 times . This year we are without Dontae and we have a thin rb room ( damn freshman fumble) we cant plan on qb running so much.

It seems like from the start we need to lean on and hope for great improvement from the WR room. It looks loaded.
Dreaming= It would be so sweet if post ireland the headline is about blackburn and how gt stuck with him.

In 23 King threw for over 4 games 300 yds in games with 1 or fewer int. However in 3 games ( clem 4, bc 3, bg 2) he threw over half of his int.

Also we have a very good fg kicker.
Go Jackets

Just some points.
I think the RB room is going to be okay. I think with 2 veteran runners (one who had to learn the hard way last year not to lose the football) and the young blood, we're going to be better than some think. Just my opinion.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We all know offenses start slow in the season to find their identities and rhythms, which does not bode well for us regarding last seasons performance. At min I hope the run defense has improved significantly as we struggled mightily there otherwise FSU has some good running backs that will shred us. FSU also has a heck of a secondary, so Haynes has to be accurate and smart with his decisions. Hopefully he’s worked on not panic chucking the ball downfield and just throw away to live another day. Think we need to win the run game on both sides of the ball to take this one, plus a positive turnover margin. Not sold on D.J. either, but I suspect FSU will try to ease him in with a strong run game and easy play action passing to reduce any mistakes. Think it’ll be a tall order, but I’ll be rooting for our boys to pull off the upset.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the RB room is going to be okay. I think with 2 veteran runners (one who had to learn the hard way last year not to lose the football) and the young blood, we're going to be better than some think. Just my opinion.
In general the rb room is what it is - ok if avoid injury bug.

In portal Louisville , second in acc last year brought in 30 plus players. We and FSU brought in 16. Our portal class is 65 and they are 5 iirc.

Lining up and running it down their throats will be no fun.

But between the 20's after we get their safties out of the box. Got to hit some 20 yd passes.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I cant remember but is the Band going to be in Ireland? I would certainly hope so
Last I saw, GT was not funding them so they were raising funds to go and bring a full band. The donation link is now dead so someone in the know can better answer whether some or all are going.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

Some areas look solid, like RBs, others not so much. But, what I think we can count on this year is a well coached team. That makes up for a lot. I think we will be competitive and punch above our weight against most teams. Only opponents oozing with talent, like uga, will have their way with us.