Freshmen to report tomorrow

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My daughter goes to the same speed and agility trainer that Custis went to. He told me that he expects Custis to be back at Tech. Said he passed all of his classes, but didn't get enough progress hours due to taking a remedial English class. Can't say for sure, but it sounds like an advisor screwed up here. Said it's the second kid he's trained that got messed up on credit hours at Tech. Chris Jackson was the other.
I'd love for this to be true and for Custis to want to and then actually come back to Tech. Something doesn't jive for me though. I'm not a compliance guy, so I don't know the rules, but I would think if he passed all his classes that he could stay at Tech and take Summer classes to catch up on progress. Also, I'm pretty sure progress towards graduation isn't assessed after one semester.

Something doesn't add up here. Can someone educate me?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd love for this to be true and for Custis to want to and then actually come back to Tech. Something doesn't jive for me though. I'm not a compliance guy, so I don't know the rules, but I would think if he passed all his classes that he could stay at Tech and take Summer classes to catch up on progress. Also, I'm pretty sure progress towards graduation isn't assessed after one semester.

Something doesn't add up here. Can someone educate me?

I don't know the ins/outs of it but what was posted above does jive with what his parents were saying when he had to leave. They said that he passed all his classes. However, I know he was taking at least 1 remedial class. I don't know if that came into play in the eligibility thing or not but it wouldn't be the first time the academic advisors have screwed over the football team if there was a mistake made by them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the ins/outs of it but what was posted above does jive with what his parents were saying when he had to leave. They said that he passed all his classes. However, I know he was taking at least 1 remedial class. I don't know if that came into play in the eligibility thing or not but it wouldn't be the first time the academic advisors have screwed over the football team if there was a mistake made by them.
I agree about students getting screwed by advisors not knowing their jobs or being too lazy to make sure. I'm not saying it's wrong at all. I'm just trying to understand the academic progress question and why he couldn't catch up at Tech. I know I'd certainly want to keep him on campus instead of allowing him to potentially go somewhere else.

Please don't get me wrong. I'd love for Custis to be able to go to Tech and play ball. In my mind, I'll support his decision where ever he ends up playing because he's tried hard to make it work at Tech. Bottom line is his academics is none of my business since I'm not a season-ticket holder nor do I pay Georgia taxes any longer. But I would like to understand how the AP system works, though.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
@Eric has said repeatedly that he is friends with the Custis family and it ain't happening. Until he tells me different, I wish Travis nothing but good luck in his future endeavors. But I refuse to even entertain the thought we will see him in the White & Gold. I welcome anyone that wants to bump this post when it happens. Hope you get the chance. But until then stop messing with me by posting this kind of stuff.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
BqVNKuQIIAAYKD9.jpg

Leggett been eating his wheaties ...

The AJC spin is this is "woe-is-me" for Tech. It is not. Freshman orientation for a player whose brother is already a student, and already a football team member is no biggie. What Myles has already learned from his brother's experience is more than sufficient. Autry's situation is not comparable to Travis Custis'. Not even close.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am stoked about Roof.

I love what he brings to the table as a Coach and Recruiter. And, he's a GT guy. I like that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
FWIW when I was a graduating Senior at Tech, my Academic Adviser assured me one of the classes I was taking would count to my degree.. fast forward to the DAY before drop day and another teacher I knew was looking at my file and pointed out it wouldn't count, I ended up having to drop and pop into a MSE course that kicked my tail, but I made it through to graduate via the P/F option.

I wasn't a student athlete, so I hope they get additional eyes on their files- but it isn't hard for me to beileve the Academic Advisers dropped the ball.