Freshmen Arrive on Campus

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If 21's not gonna be retired, it should be reserved for whoever is expected to be a playmaker a la Smith or Mega.

Would've been cool seeing JT wearing 21 at qb.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest, who do you want on your team? Johnson or Dwyer? It's no offense to Dwyer, but Calvin was better. Retiring the number just means that noone will wear it from now on. And since Dwyer isn't coming back to play, it's gonna be ok. Clint needs some friends. Maybe even 14 from Hamilton? And if ugag retires a guys number just because of one touchdown, how about the 9 of Sisson?

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
They just keep looking younger and younger. I feel old
giphy.gif

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Castleberry set a precedent I don’t wish anyone to match or exceed. Keep all numbers but 19 open.
Read Jackrabbit for a biography of Castleberry. I like your post and understand where the reverence comes from, but he only played 1 year, an amazing year, but I feel that 14 (Hamilton) and 21 (Johnson) should be retired also. Outstanding young men all 3. But, lets not make the requirement for retiring a number based off of giving your life during service. No one wants that honor. 19 is retired because of the greatness that was Clint Castleberry. Same can be said of Johnson and Hamilton.
(I know I know, Joe had the arrest in 2008ish but he owned up to it and paid his dues to society and he was welcomed back into the Georgia Tech community with open arms.)

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Read Jackrabbit for a biography of Castleberry. I like your post and understand where the reverence comes from, but he only played 1 year, an amazing year, but I feel that 14 (Hamilton) and 21 (Johnson) should be retired also. Outstanding young men all 3. But, lets not make the requirement for retiring a number based off of giving your life during service. No one wants that honor. 19 is retired because of the greatness that was Clint Castleberry. Same can be said of Johnson and Hamilton.
(I know I know, Joe had the arrest in 2008ish but he owned up to it and paid his dues to society and he was welcomed back into the Georgia Tech community with open arms.)

I agree with @Whiskey_Clear. Pat Tillman, the Cardinals player who turned down a huge NFL contract to defend our country and was killed during service, sounds like a similar story to Castleberry. These guys are in a separate league to me and are remembered posthumously by having their numbers retired for being great on and off the field.

While Joe and Calvin were greats in my book, I just don’t think they can be talked about in the same sentence as Tillman and Castleberry, though they may deserve to have their jersey’s retired for other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I agree with @Whiskey_Clear. Pat Tillman, the Cardinals player who turned down a huge NFL contract to defend our country and was killed during service, sounds like a similar story to Castleberry. These guys are in a separate league to me and are remembered posthumously by having their numbers retired for being great on and off the field.

While Joe and Calvin were greats in my book, I just don’t think they can be talked about in the same sentence as Tillman and Castleberry, though they may deserve to have their jersey’s retired for other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My intention was not to compare the 3 and saying that they are the same. Any parent would be proud to have any of them as their son was my point and I didn’t make that as clear as I should.
But I do believe that by their play on the field, all 3 numbers should be retired.