Free Throw Shooting

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
This team deserves a lot of credit for the improved free throw shooting this year

2015-2016: 72.9%
2014-2015: 64.8%
2013-2014: 68.4%
2012-2013: 63.5%
2011-2012: 65.4%

Lots of other great notes in here
  • Forward Charles Mitchell is a particularly successful project of Gregory’s. He shot 54 percent as a freshman at Maryland and 32.9 percent as a sophomore before improving to 66.3 percent last season. He’s now at 70.6 percent.
  • In terms of percentage, it was the 15th best performance in school history (minimum 15 free throws) and the highest rate for Tech in Gregory’s tenure.
  • Three of Gregory’s first four teams were among the 10 poorest free-throw shooting teams in Tech history (all 65.4 percent or lower) :eek:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't understand much about basketball, but I do understand that when you can't make free throws at the end of the game you will lose. That was part of the formula for Duke winning all those close games for the past decade ......

Is the FT improvement due to the 4 transfer players we have? I would think so. Mitchell's improvement is typical of players as they mature isn't it?

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand much about basketball, but I do understand that when you can't make free throws at the end of the game you will lose. That was part of the formula for Duke winning all those close games for the past decade ......

Is the FT improvement due to the 4 transfer players we have? I would think so. Mitchell's improvement is typical of players as they mature isn't it?

Typically players will improve slightly, but the improvement guys like Marcus and Chuck have shown is due to lots of hours in the gym working hard. MGH credits his improvement to 100's of free throws each day this summer while he was recovering from his broken foot. I would guess most players wouldn't show as drastic improvement as these two have as their free throw shooting won't increase that much simply from maturing. The only way for big improvement is putting in time in the gym

BTW, Marcus has gone from 62.9 -> 67.4 -> 76.3 -> 83.9

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On one of the pre or post game pressers for VCU, I think Marcus made mention of their FT drills. Something to the effect of having to make 80% of 25 shots. If they don't, they have to make 10 more until they hit 80%.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i was pleased with the game. still have work to do but i was very happy. we looked decent against a decent team.

hopefully this carriest through for the entire season.

i for one would love coach to turn things around. he looks like he was born to be a yellow jacket. our version of coach krxtpyftski of duke.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He inherited a hot mess. That was extremely difficult to recruit to IMO. I think he deserves another year or two. Especially if they make the NIT this year.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone can agree we wish CBG would right the ship. A new coach means another minimum 2-3 years rebuilding, not to mention we're not the great destination we used to be. The only issue I've heard is the win loss record. It's a big gripe, but fix that (hell even just some progress) and we're happy. His problem is the ACC is only getting better. Even an improved team may not have improved results unfortunately

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i know this is a odd comment but that has never stopped me before. hehe.

could it be that cbg does a better job with tranfers than new recruits? maybe that is his niche. shw was really great at recruiting top talent and playing only 5-6-7 guys max.

with all the players transfering could it be that cbg has a nack for not only recruiting top quality 'tranfers' but getting the most out of them as well?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone can agree we wish CBG would right the ship. A new coach means another minimum 2-3 years rebuilding, not to mention we're not the great destination we used to be. The only issue I've heard is the win loss record. It's a big gripe, but fix that (hell even just some progress) and we're happy. His problem is the ACC is only getting better. Even an improved team may not have improved results unfortunately

My impression, fwiw, he's been like the bball anti-CPJ, where good coaches/teams can defend our O better than we can run it. I'm waiting till ACC play before I say things have changed.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My impression, fwiw, he's been like the bball anti-CPJ, where good coaches/teams can defend our O better than we can run it. I'm waiting till ACC play before I say things have changed.

This.

Seriously every single season I see this from our fan base and I have been guilty of it too. Get really wound up in the OOC only to be let down once ACC play starts. VCU, Ark and Tennesee are nice wins for us but last year we thought the URI UGA and Vandy wins were big.

Cautiously optimistic

conyersmike

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if someone could apply this years FT% to some of those close games last year, and see how many of those games we would have won. I bet we would have at least 3-4 more wins.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This.

Seriously every single season I see this from our fan base and I have been guilty of it too. Get really wound up in the OOC only to be let down once ACC play starts. VCU, Ark and Tennesee are nice wins for us but last year we thought the URI UGA and Vandy wins were big.

Cautiously optimistic

I certainly understand why some have a wait and see mentaility. Heck, I would even venture to say that many among us are so gun-shy that after the first bad TO or run by the other team, they start fearing the worse or saying here we go. I was guilty of that earlier this year, but I am beginning to believe in these guys. For the most part, we have played with purpose in each game, and the biggest difference that I've seen is that when this team has faced adversity, they have really responded well. Even against Nova, we fought back from double digits a couple of times.

Personally, I'm just trying to enjoy us playing some solid basketball and looking cohesive. If we play in the ACC like we have played as of late, we will win our fair share of games. Roles are beginning to take shape, and everyone seems to be playing them well. I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow. I'd love to see these guys duplicate their effort from Tuesday night and come out with a big win against UGA. Would be big on a number of fronts (post season aspirations, in-state bragging rights, etc.)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can win out before ACC play. Then going 8-10 in ACC play. That would be fine for me. The ACC is THE basketball conference.

Like @connell62 said, it's nice to watch competent basketball played by our team. Including the simplest things like making FTs. And getting the ball in bounds.

Unfortunately, I care about football, baseball and basketball in that order. So this is a nice diversion till Beesball. Hope we carry on in ACC play, but the other teams sort of want to win too.