Four minute mode?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Why did Key say we went 4 minute when we had 6:30, three timeouts, plus the two minute warning? Is the goal to get in FG range in four minutes and then try to run the clock down?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Key also said “I knew we wouldn’t get the ball back.” So I think I’m guessing correctly. Get to FG range in 4 minutes and bleed clock after you’re there.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
TBF, I'd probably wait a few games at least to endorse the new defense to hold off our opponent with time left on the clock. It's not like our previous defense would have gotten the job done.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I assumed he was just making a reference to "four minute offense" phrase used which is akin to "two minute offense" we hear more often at the end of the game.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Every team implements a four min offense nowadays. Offenses have become so efficient and dynamic that scoring too early can be an issue. Unfortunately with GT’s poor defenses over the past 15 years, we are all too familiar with it… hopefully this year changes that trend!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Given their timeouts plus the 2-minute timeout, if we ran an actual four-minute offense we would have given FSU the ball back with too much time left.
So, I think he was describing how they wanted to run the last series like their standard 4-minute offense, with allowance for pacing it to run out more clock. It’s easier to do that than to speed it up. Whatever it was, it worked.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen a few people write that FSU should have let us score quickly so that they would have a shot. I wouldn’t go that far.

In real time, sports journalists were questioning “why is Key going for a field goal here”? He did get the guaranteed last word in the game. I think we could have scored a TD if we wanted to.

By the way, both teams had 7 possessions. We scored more with the same number of shots.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen a few people write that FSU should have let us score quickly so that they would have a shot. I wouldn’t go that far.

In real time, sports journalists were questioning “why is Key going for a field goal here”? He did get the guaranteed last word in the game. I think we could have scored a TD if we wanted to.

By the way, both teams had 7 possessions. We scored more with the same number of shots.
Isn't point per possession the same as points when everyone gets, the same number of possessions.

. TFP went for turnovers to make up for crappy coaching and never improved.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

CPJ let the mutts score in a game (2010?) in order to get the last possession with some time left. At the time, we had been mostly unsuccessful in stopping them anyway. The strategy was risky, and it failed.

Was questioning the field goal attempt occurring on an earlier down? Because it was fourth and 5 with no time left when we kicked. Before our fumble, I suppose we may have had a chance for a TD but there was less than a minute left and would likely have required some passing, which is much riskier.

slugboy

Staff member
CPJ let the mutts score in a game (2010?) in order to get the last possession with some time left. At the time, we had been mostly unsuccessful in stopping them anyway. The strategy was risky, and it failed.

Was questioning the field goal attempt occurring on an earlier down? Because it was fourth and 5 with no time left when we kicked. Before our fumble, I suppose we may have had a chance for a TD but there was less than a minute left and would likely have required some passing, which is much riskier.
It was on the drive—the criticism was for “playing for a field goal”, it was not for taking a field goal as time expired.

It worked out perfectly, though.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I would’ve considered the “let them score move”, and would’ve taken them up on it if I was Key.

But I think that would be a hard decision due to the game specifics:

* the low number of possessions means you’d given up 21 points so far, not like 40, so it “feels” less reasonable

* there was a missed FG earlier

* you held to a couple three and outs earlier

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

That was a different situation. They were ahead in the game and could run the clock out. The only way for us to get the ball back and even have a chance to win the game was to let them score. While we were not able to score, it was a brilliant piece of coaching . Even Richt admitted that he had been out coached there

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Given their timeouts plus the 2-minute timeout, if we ran an actual four-minute offense we would have given FSU the ball back with too much time left.
So, I think he was describing how they wanted to run the last series like their standard 4-minute offense, with allowance for pacing it to run out more clock. It’s easier to do that than to speed it up. Whatever it was, it worked.
This is where I landed too.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
That was a different situation. They were ahead in the game and could run the clock out. The only way for us to get the ball back and even have a chance to win the game was to let them score. While we were not able to score, it was a brilliant piece of coaching . Even Richt admitted that he had been out coached there
You are correct - I was not able to remember the exact situation (even though I was at the game), but do remember Richt admitting he was outfoxed there towards the end.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Agree that Key was thinking FG all along, and never give the ball back to FSU. The “four minute” terminology is unfamiliar to me, as opposed to the two minute drill, which I’ve heard a million times.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Every team implements a four min offense nowadays. Offenses have become so efficient and dynamic that scoring too early can be an issue. Unfortunately with GT’s poor defenses over the past 15 years, we are all too familiar with it… hopefully this year changes that trend!