B7VIYuQIUAA9H_g.png
B7VIYwXIcAI7prK.png
B7VIfl4IgAEuhTO.png
B7VIf0sIMAAC_GL.png
B7VIf2QIEAA-Slv.png
B7VIf59IIAAYZlV.png

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The thing amounts to a player safety issue and having that many 300# + guys shoving around in a pile is going to cause nothing but injuries.

There is not much evidence to support a QB in our system gets hit more than a traditional QB. The problem is a QB in our system is a runner by the rules and not protected by the normal QB rules which is fine. This allows players from the other team to take cheap shots, and I can't think of a better way to stop us offensively (no offense to Byerly.) JT played banged up for a lot of the year but he wasn't truly injured until the Duke game and after that it seemed to me that he lost a step. He was much more willing to pitch the ball on option plays (I believe CPJ told him he needed to be more selfish) but we didn't miss much of a beat.

My point is, after a month of rest and healing, our track star was back against Miss St. I will fully admit the stats show no trend. He got nearly as many yards against FSU as he did Miss St., but also an 80% healthy JT is still the fastest guy on the field. Just to me he didn't have that pep after that c***sucker from Duke rolled his ankle.

I get we won the game against UGA and the score shouldn't have been that close, but the history books will remember it as a thriller. The refs need to blow plays dead faster

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
As far as the refs go the controversy is not whether anyone could see if JT made a TD or how far forward he went but they could easily see that he went as far forward as he could and then was getting pushed and dragged back 3-4 yards but still had the ball when this is occurring. Hence, you blow the play dead and call forward progress. Even if you see Swann start to rip at and get the ball loose at the 4 yard line and haven't yet blown the whistle that should make the ref blow the whistle at that, already late, point in time. It would then have been like a zillion other plays where a defensive player is ripping the ball out while "playing to the whistle" and then tries to run with it but everyone else knows the play was dead and the refs rule that it was dead.

I will always think, however, that it should have been Byerly running it if you are just gonna call a QB draw or sneak up the gut on the goal line. No reason to suddenly change after a number of games of consistently using Byerly successfully in that situation. If you keep JT in then let an AB lead block for Days and have him power it in the middle or run the fleet-footed QB to the edge and the pylon, that is, play to JT's strengths.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't think we would ever see worse than the 2006 non whistle when the refs actually had their hands on our players in the fumble pile without blowing a whistle and allowed uga to 'recover' the ball and run it in for a TD. But this one is worse. The ref on the right side of the field was simply going to wait until uga pushed JT back to the 5 so he could blow the play dead there, but then he got a bonus and uga was able to strip the ball.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It was definitely a single bullet, I mean whistle that was not blown. The refs got reprimanded for the Jasper Sanks fumble, but with replay there was no excuse for this one.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I believe I saw photos from the other angle which showed Justin placing the football over the goal line before being pushed back (meaning a TD should have been called), then he was stood up and pushed back (meaning NO FORWARD PROGRESS OR A TD WOULD HAVE TO BE CALLED) for at least four seconds before the phantom fumble recovery that was returned for the UGA TD.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Let's just hope that the ref crew has seen this and had to explain to CPJ!! The only thing that'd save them from a arse chewing they wouldn't forget is that we won.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I can excuse the fact they missed the td, what's inexcusable is the non-whistle. 4 seconds after forward progress was stopped, the ball is pulled out of the pile. There's no way anyone can justify that one.

And then we get a fumble blown dead in the OB for stopped forward progress when ZERO seconds elapsed. That's rich!

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
If forward progress was not stopped, by definition they were moving forward. If they were moving forward, there was no way they did not cross the line, because there was no room left.

Basically, of all the options the refs had, they picked the most nonsensical, and obviously impossible one. That JT was moving forward, yet did not enter the EZ.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The thing amounts to a player safety issue and having that many 300# + guys shoving around in a pile is going to cause nothing but injuries.
----- The refs need to blow plays dead faster
I have thought all year that whistles were slow and am surprised that so few injuries seem to occur because of delayed whistle.
Long ago it was illegal to aid the the forward motion of a runner by pushing the pile or runner. From a safety standpoint it seems that was a good rule.