Former Tech staff member Butch Brooks has died

Brooks followed a highly successful career as head coach of Washington-Wilkes HS with a stint as director of football operations at Tech under O'Leary and Gailey

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Brooks followed a highly successful career as head coach of Washington-Wilkes HS with a stint as director of football operations at Tech under O'Leary and Gailey
Sorry to hear that.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Sorry to hear that. He coached against us (Lincoln County). Those were some great games, and the biggest years of our rivalry.
Pinglet, I don’t know if you heard, but another coach with Lincolnton connections passed away this week. Dan Pitts at Mary Persons was from Lincolnton. He retired as the winningest coach in GA high school for football, but of course has since been passed by a few, including Larry Campbell.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Pinglet, I don’t know if you heard, but another coach with Lincolnton connections passed away this week. Dan Pitts at Mary Persons was from Lincolnton. He retired as the winningest coach in GA high school for football, but of course has since been passed by a few, including Larry Campbell.
Thanks Towaliga. I did not know that about Pitts. Fortunate to play for Coach Campbell from '88-'91.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This is indeed sad news. Coach Brooks was perpetually smiling any time I saw him or spoke with him and he never failed to tell a very funny story and never seemed to tell the same one twice. He'll be missed. Rest in Peace, Coach.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I met Coach Brooks in 1998 when he came to Georgia Tech and I have kept in touch with him ever since. One of the best people I have met, loved being around the guy, talking to him, hearing his stories, him making me laugh. Coach Brooks was the Director of High School Relations during my tenure at GT. In 1998, we were playing #6 Virginia at home, Coach Brooks gave the pre-game speech, I will never forget it. He drove a nail into a 2x4 with his bare hand. Needless to say, we ended up winning that game. I consider myself lucky to have called him my friend. I will miss him, love you Coach.

Brooks was so involved in recruiting and using his extensive high school contacts to help us put together loads of talent after he came to GT. One of GOL’s best and most underrated hires. Without Brooks, you might say there was no 2007 top signing class and all the guys who went pro who came before that class. Whether he was doing the recruiting in the first person or directing traffic behind the scenes (which means a lot), he had his fingerprints on most of our major recruits from the late GOL and Gailey era.

I’ve never spoke with someone who knew or met Coach Brooks and did not like the guy. I think his personality, which was a mix of a genuine, no B.S., straight shooter, combined with a guy who really cared about you and could make anyone laugh, proved to win over everyone that he came in contact with.

I feel so fortunate that I got to know him and kept in touch with him all these years.

Last edited:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I met Coach Brooks in 1998 when he came to Georgia Tech and I have kept in touch with him ever since. One of the best people I have met, loved being around the guy, talking to him, hearing his stories, him making me laugh. Coach Brooks was the Director of High School Relations during my tenure at GT. In 1998, we were playing #6 Virginia at home, Coach Brooks gave the pre-game speech, I will never forget it. He drove a nail into a 2x4 with his bare hand. Needless to say, we ended up winning that game. I consider myself lucky to have called him my friend. I will miss him, love you Coach.

Brooks was so involved in recruiting and using his extensive high school contacts to help us put together loads of talent after he came to GT. One of GOL’s best and most underrated hires. Without Brooks, you might say there was no 2007 top signing class and all the guys who went pro who came before that class. Whether he was doing the recruiting in the first person or directing traffic behind the scenes (which means a lot), he had his fingerprints on most of our major recruits from the late GOL and Gailey era.

I’ve never spoke with someone who knew or met Coach Brooks and did not like the guy. I think his personality, which was a mix of a genuine, no B.S., straight shooter, combined with a guy who really cared about you and could make anyone laugh, proved to win over everyone that he came in contact with.

I feel so fortunate that I got to know him and kept in touch with him all these years.
Thank you for sharing your memories of Coach Brooks. I feel lucky I got to meet and speak with him the few times I had and he always treated people with warmth and respect. A truly good man.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I remember when he was hired. We hadn't had a Director of High School Relations before. Homer Rice made lots of great moves. Hiring Coach Brooks was one of his best ones. As you say, his presence alone really boosted recruiting because of his HS coaching contacts.

Miss "seeing you" on this board, but I understand why you don't post as much.