Former Jacket, Travares Tillman is our next DB coach

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Trust me, I know the numbers look bad but watch a few games. It’s not as bad as it looked. A lot of YAC from crossing routes over the middle and quick hits off the LOS.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
literally 130th/130

we were 121st

Their pass defense was better than ours. They just had way more attempts against them than we did.

Mich State allowed: 364/556 (65%) for 4052 yards and 9 INTs. 11.1 yards per completion

We allowed: 219/335 (65%) for 3276 and 3 INTs (none by our CBs) 14.9 yards per completion

bos

Helluva Engineer
Michigan State had the worst pass defense, meaning more yards allowed passing than anyone in the country. It wasn't even close. They allowed 338 yards per game.

However, when you dissect the number, it's because they had such a good season that their opponents had to throw the ball a lot more to catch up.

They are now 10-2, and #11 in the country.

The team that had the best pass defense is Washington, who is 4-8 this year. (allowed 143 per game).

Furthermore, passing defense is much more than just the DBs.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Their pass defense was better than ours. They just had way more attempts against them than we did.

Mich State allowed: 364/556 (65%) for 4052 yards and 9 INTs. 11.1 yards per completion

We allowed: 219/335 (65%) for 3276 and 3 INTs (none by our CBs) 14.9 yards per completion
I mean this is a race to the bottom so it doesn't really matter that much haha. tldr they were both bad

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

More stats

Mich St
Opposing Passer rating: 142.6 (87)
Yards per attempt: 7.5 (72)

GT
Opposing Passer Rating: 179 (130)
Yards per attempt: 10 (128)

Mich St has some inflated totals due to who they played, but they were far from good. Anything will be better than GT 2021.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
He wasn’t fired either. He wanted to eventually come home. He told me this when I ran into him this past summer on East Lansing. I told him we needed him. He said he likes Tuck and EL but one day he’d consider coming “home”. Looks like today is that day.

And yes I’m plugged into Michigan States football program with former players.
Can you tell us who "Tuck and EL" are, I really get frustrated with some of the initials, nicknames etc that are not everyday common on here? Guess it's part of getting to be an old fart.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if Malik Spencer decides to stay home bring a Buford guy and TT his primary recruiter.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
More stats

Mich St
Opposing Passer rating: 142.6 (87)
Yards per attempt: 7.5 (72)

GT
Opposing Passer Rating: 179 (130)
Yards per attempt: 10 (128)

Mich St has some inflated totals due to who they played, but they were far from good. Anything will be better than GT 2021.
Glad to see something other than the aggregate stats. I figured someone will post some analysis from Football Outsiders or some source like that eventually to give us a better idea how they really measure up. They did play in the Big 10, not the mighty ACC Coastal after all so the talent level of the opposition is relevant.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea whether this is a good hire. Guess we'll find out...

From the article:
"Opponents have thrown 556 passes against MSU, 47 more than any other team in the country."

"Teams progressively attacked the secondary throughout the season, and MSU’s issues at cornerback grew beyond coverage and tackling problems early on. Kalon Gervin entered the transfer portal after four games, freshman Chuck Brantley hurt his shoulder and has not played since the loss at Purdue, and transfers Ronald Williams II and Marqui Lowery have been playing hurt the final half of the season."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea whether this is a good hire. Guess we'll find out...

From the article:
"Opponents have thrown 556 passes against MSU, 47 more than any other team in the country."

"Teams progressively attacked the secondary throughout the season, and MSU’s issues at cornerback grew beyond coverage and tackling problems early on. Kalon Gervin entered the transfer portal after four games, freshman Chuck Brantley hurt his shoulder and has not played since the loss at Purdue, and transfers Ronald Williams II and Marqui Lowery have been playing hurt the final half of the season."
Oh, cover my ears!
They are discusing injuries.