Former GT coach Brian Jean-Mary is ...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'll say that any time I hear a coach talk about assignment football when it comes to us, its usually a bad sign for that team. We come way too fast with a lot of different looks. I get more worried when they talk about getting off blocks.
Yep. Doesn’t matter if you play your assignment right but end up on your butt from getting blocked. One of the main reasons we run different block schemes is to ensure “assignment football” doesn’t work. Shooting gaps and causing disruption has generally been the key indicator of success.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Until Marshall is able to hit enough deep throws to keep the safeties from cheating, we will have this problem. they will cheap up and seal the edge to take away the pitch and we have either dive or keeper. Those throws are part and parcel of Johnson's spread offensive planning.

On the other hand, the more they cheat the easier it becomes to hit the deep passes.

I think TM was pressing Saturday. If he can relax a little, let the game flow and just play, he will be fine.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Until Marshall is able to hit enough deep throws to keep the safeties from cheating, we will have this problem. they will cheap up and seal the edge to take away the pitch and we have either dive or keeper. Those throws are part and parcel of Johnson's spread offensive planning.

We can and do run the option successfully with the safeties walking up to the line. Personally I think the A backs are much more important to keeping the safeties from firing too hard. The WR on most downs are going to get single coverage with corners. If the other team can afford to do two high safeties against us on first downs regularly, then no amount of passing skill is going to get us moving the ball effectively. If we can pass pro effectively, TaQuon is good enough to overcome a hard crashing defense. Last year against JSU was that example, although we didn't open it up as much as we would if necessary against a better opponent.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We can and do run the option successfully with the safeties walking up to the line. Personally I think the A backs are much more important to keeping the safeties from firing too hard. The WR on most downs are going to get single coverage with corners. If the other team can afford to do two high safeties against us on first downs regularly, then no amount of passing skill is going to get us moving the ball effectively. If we can pass pro effectively, TaQuon is good enough to overcome a hard crashing defense. Last year against JSU was that example, although we didn't open it up as much as we would if necessary against a better opponent.
All bets are off with a better athlete. Lynch, for instance, has a real knack for turning the corner against a guy who beat him there. Early on Orwin Smith had that ability. Has to frustrate them.