Forget chaos: Coastal is between Duke, GT

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal has all seven teams still eligible for a bowl. Duke and Georgia Tech also seem to have the inside track at an Orange Bowl spot, too, if Florida State ends up in the College Football Playoff. These are all big developments for the Coastal, which has had a better season than many anticipated

No one symbolizes that more than Georgia Tech, picked to finish fifth in the preseason poll. The Jackets will end up in at least a tie for first. Maybe this is a lesson learned. In all seven seasons under Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech has either met or surpassed its preseason ACC pick, finishing nearly two spots better on average. According to the school, that's the best difference in the ACC.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...between-duke-gt

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
She should know that being bowl-eligible or "eligible for a bowl" has a technical meaning of having won 6 games, with no more than 1 against FCS. So all seven Coastal teams are not eligible. 3 are, and the remaining 4 have not been eliminated.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
She should know that being bowl-eligible or "eligible for a bowl" has a technical meaning of having won 6 games, with no more than 1 against FCS.

That's not true any more. You can count 2 FCS wins now.

We have so many bowl spots to fill, they needed to lax the rules some.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So that dim bulb that resides inside Andrea's head is finally flickering to life? In her defense she is just one more dim bulb among the masses in the media.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So that dim bulb that resides inside Andrea's head is finally flickering to life? In her defense she is just one more dim bulb among the masses in the media.

I thought the article was pretty good. I've written a lot of letters and other papers in my life. I work on them for a few edits and think they are ok. Then come back a few weeks later and see problems. I know I don't write very well, but I am paid to a large extent for my ability to communicate on paper/ computer. It's hard to get something like this out every day against a deadline; Andrea does a good job of getting her message across I think.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
#2 GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS

9-2 (6-2) Last week: Defeated Clemson Tigers 28-6

Last rank: 5

The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets proved once and for all to the world that they are not going anywhere under Paul Johnson. Not only has this team managed to stay relevant. It’s a great football team right in the thick of the ACC Championship race with Duke and Florida State.

The Yellow Jackets could easily be undefeated right now and would be if not for a turnover-prone game and one bad drive.

Justin Thomas has done an amazing job as quarterback for the Yellow Jackets, but what really sticks out is the defense. The group is very opportunistic, as showed by the multiple interceptions against Clemson, and it can be a dominant force that we might not have expected to see. It will be needed to close out the season strong.

All the Yellow Jackets have left on their schedule is an epic showdown with in-state rival Georgia. And this time, both teams are looking really impressive for the first time since 2008. So this will be worth keeping an eye on.

saturdayblitz.com/2014/11/18/a...lemson-fall/14/

You can dismiss Georgia Tech's wins all you want. You can talk about how bad their defense has been at times this season. Or that Clemson might have won without losing its quarterback.

But it wasn't even really close after Watson went out, and Clemson has beaten some good teams without him.
Georgia Tech's defense has become opportunistic and ball-hawking and keeps growing in confidence each week. The offense is a well-oiled machine of efficiency.

This is not a team that anyone should want any part of right now. The Yellow Jackets are a Duke loss away from winning the Coastal Division crown, too.

www.foxsports.com/carolinas/st...s-abound-111714

Last edited:

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Despite its loss Saturday, Duke remains the most likely ACC Coastal champion (69 percent) because of its schedule and the head-to-head win over Georgia Tech on Oct. 11, but FPI projects Georgia Tech, which is ranked 11 spots ahead of Duke in the FPI rankings, would give the Seminoles a tougher test.

Potential clinching scenarios this week: Georgia Tech clinches with a Duke loss.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...gaining-clarity

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
Despite its loss Saturday, Duke remains the most likely ACC Coastal champion (69 percent) because of its schedule and the head-to-head win over Georgia Tech on Oct. 11, but FPI projects Georgia Tech, which is ranked 11 spots ahead of Duke in the FPI rankings, would give the Seminoles a tougher test.

Potential clinching scenarios this week: Georgia Tech clinches with a Duke loss.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...gaining-clarity

in that article, it says dook has 15% and GT has 10% to win acc, which would mean dook has 60% chance to win coastal.
GT is done at 6-2. dook has to win the next two. even if a win over wake is 90%, that'd mean that dook has a 67% chance to beat UNC? that seems quite high.

either way, i'm guessing the entire GT nation is cheering for UNC this thursday. go heels!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
in that article, it says dook has 15% and GT has 10% to win acc, which would mean dook has 60% chance to win coastal.
GT is done at 6-2. dook has to win the next two. even if a win over wake is 90%, that'd mean that dook has a 67% chance to beat UNC? that seems quite high.

either way, i'm guessing the entire GT nation is cheering for UNC this thursday. go heels!

Atomic gives Duke 70% and 95% for the next two weeks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Atomic gives Duke 70% and 95% for the next two weeks.

I give Fluke 45% and 99.5%. But you're right about Atomic. And also the spread is 6 points for Duke which I think translates to a 65-70% likelihood of a win.

To hell with the spreads, the football gods have set Fluke up to fall.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I thought the article was pretty good. I've written a lot of letters and other papers in my life. I work on them for a few edits and think they are ok. Then come back a few weeks later and see problems. I know I don't write very well, but I am paid to a large extent for my ability to communicate on paper/ computer. It's hard to get something like this out every day against a deadline; Andrea does a good job of getting her message across I think.

Her writing is fine. No complaints on her literary skills. Her football IQ / evaluation / analysis.....that his horrid. Same for most of media though.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Florida State has played so many close games this season that it may seem silly to suggest it would have a cakewalk against any opponent in the ACC title game. But Georgia Tech, with its triple-option offense, would pose a greater threat to FSU than Duke would with only a week to prepare. And this UNC-Duke game will essentially decide the ACC Coastal. If Duke loses, Georgia Tech wins the division. If the Blue Devils win, they would need only a home victory over lowly Wake Forest next week to clinch a spot in the title game. In other words, Noles fans should be rooting for Duke. Fans of teams that would benefit from a Florida State loss should be rooting for North Carolina.

insider.espn.go.com/blog/acc/post?id=77383