For those wanting to know the new prices for season tickets ( football)

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I am thinking of buying season tickets this year. Being from out of town I would only be able to make it to 1-3 games a year max.

Would there be any issue if I gave the tickets to the games I can't make to someone else? I was thinking it might help build the fan base if a younger football player could get tickets to the game and go for free. I of course wouldn't want to cause any violations or anything though.
YES, do this - well, unless you give them to opposing team fans! When people experience a good time, they are more apt to try it again and again until they are season tix holders!

GRGT96

Georgia Tech Fan
Would there be any issue if I gave the tickets to the games I can't make to someone else? I was thinking it might help build the fan base if a younger football player could get tickets to the game and go for free. I of course wouldn't want to cause any violations or anything though.
There is no such violation and you should do it. I have to give away my seats to a couple games every season - kids sports often interfere with noon games. I'm careful to make sure I give them to somebody who will show up and cheer for the good guys.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It'll be my first season not as a student since I started being a fan in 2011. I'm tempted for the $240 New Alumni sideline tickets, but the Gold Stinger Mobile Pass also sounds appealing. Not sure if I want to commit to one section with the sideline tickets. Anyone have recommendations on section?
Take advantage of the new alumni discount but gets tickets other than the new alumni section (121 in past years). The section is just fraternity and sorority new grads who are still in town, so it's reminiscent of the above-walkway seats in the North endzone. People show up late, leave early, and spend the whole game turned away from the field chatting with their friends...pretty miserable environment to take in the game.

I haven't sat elsewhere on East but have found the West 100s to be the most engaged fans.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Whiskey_Clear due to the excitement of the program I have clearance from the lady to move to 104 this year. But I don't want to leave you guys haha. I'm conflicted.

Nooooooo!!!! We need more noise and can’t lose ya lol.

All kidding aside 104 will have a better view. And you can always swing by to visit and make noise with us when you get tired of the annoyed looks from our more genteel and sedate compatriots. :D

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
They should give a discount for old alumni too. LOL

They’re giving young alumni a break because they’re the generation that got walloped by tuition increases leading to heavy student debt load. It’s changed a whole lot just since I graduated in 2005. I think I was paying ~$15k/year out of state, now it would cost me $50k/year (in state is $30k). Damn

Animal02

Banned
They’re giving young alumni a break because they’re the generation that got walloped by tuition increases leading to heavy student debt load. It’s changed a whole lot just since I graduated in 2005. I think I was paying ~$15k/year out of state, now it would cost me $50k/year (in state is $30k). Damn
I was paying $700 a quarter out of state. Cost won't be an issue for my 10.y.o., but I saw that the average GPA is 4.02, while he is smart.......he is a tad bit lazy when it comes to studying.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

They have been doing it for a while. I think the young alumni pricing has been the same as the employee pricing. The GTAA has also given extra credit to students and young alumni who donate to the AT Fund for at least 30 years. I have thought it was to get them involved just like TV subscription services give discounts for the first year or two to get people to sign up. It is probably easier to get someone to keep season tickets after having them than to start getting season tickets 7-10 years after graduating.

I am thinking of buying season tickets this year. Being from out of town I would only be able to make it to 1-3 games a year max.

There's no problem at all with giving away your tickets, but you might consider getting print-at-home tickets instead of printed tickets mailed to you, because you can transfer the print-at-home ones online, but you have to hand deliver the printed ones.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Can anyone offer brief insight into the prominence of lowered prices for GT season ticket holders in this year's ticket availability announcement?

Many Gopher fans are still reeling from a 3-year, tiered implementation of price hikes from a former, disgraced AD (don't ask) that led many long term season tix fans to drop their seats.

The current UMn AD has indicated the need to be creative in getting butts back in the seats but lowering prices is not part of the mix yet.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Can anyone offer brief insight into the prominence of lowered prices for GT season ticket holders in this year's ticket availability announcement?

Many Gopher fans are still reeling from a 3-year, tiered implementation of price hikes from a former, disgraced AD (don't ask) that led many long term season tix fans to drop their seats.

The current UMn AD has indicated the need to be creative in getting butts back in the seats but lowering prices is not part of the mix yet.
I don't have any actual insight, but it makes a lot of logical sense to me! You make big changes; you come off a couple of mediocre years; you need make sure the first year has some positive changes to the fan base. Someone somewhere mentioned that when Blank bought the Falcons he did the same thing to get attendance up. Maybe this was TStan's idea; maybe it was CGC's. Who knows? I find it smart.
There were a lot of empty seats around me last year, so I think lowering the cost to go for more qty may or may not increase the overall revenue this year, but it affords people the opportunity to be there, making the experience better, and a result, a long-term uptick might occur. With HD TVs and 400 channels, people can watch at home - make them want to come out to the game - and more people there cheering makes for better experiences. And with the lower price, I'm even happier about buying my tickets early - and am trying to talk others into buying some, too because they are reasonable prices!

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
There's no problem at all with giving away your tickets, but you might consider getting print-at-home tickets instead of printed tickets mailed to you, because you can transfer the print-at-home ones online, but you have to hand deliver the printed ones.

You can actually transfer tickets online even if you have printed tickets. We opted for printed season tickets last year and transferred them online for two games.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

It all depends on whether you believe sports events to be subject to elastic demand. Because of the stability of the sth base, it’s probably closer to inelastic demand meaning a price reduction simply reduces overall revenue with no corresponding increase in ticket sales.

I’d rather see a reduction in the Fund contribution. One or two mega donors could cover all the Fund contributions. TStan could even raise prices for some sections.

You can actually transfer tickets online even if you have printed tickets. We opted for printed season tickets last year and transferred them online for two games.
Didn't know that. Certainly makes sense that they would do that. Still, if you know now that you would probably be transferring some, I think print-at-home tickets would be the way to go

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
It all depends on whether you believe sports events to be subject to elastic demand. Because of the stability of the sth base, it’s probably closer to inelastic demand meaning a price reduction simply reduces overall revenue with no corresponding increase in ticket sales.

I’d rather see a reduction in the Fund contribution. One or two mega donors could cover all the Fund contributions. TStan could even raise prices for some sections.

A lot of Gopher STH agree with you. It was the "seat donations" that put folks over the top. Right now, all the fundraising energy is tied into paying off a new $180 million Athletes Village to at least get somewhat competitive facilities. No one stepping up to reduce the everyday folks cost to attend.

I did see where GT raised prices over the last couple of years, so I can guess the data plus the coaching change indicated the pot needed to be sweetened.

Regardless a lot of folks say "Just Win Baby" and the seats will be taken. Hopefully both programs are setting up to test that theory...