For the love of god

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson gives Sewak 3* linemen and some fans expect them to perform like 5* linemen.

SEe UGA vs Mizzou today.
I know they're not gonna play like 5* star lineman, but there is a problem somewhere when you have had as many false start penalties among the OL as we have had the last few games

gtdrew

Banned
I know they're not gonna play like 5* star lineman, but there is a problem somewhere when you have had as many false start penalties among the OL as we have had the last few games
Going over BYU's last few recruiting classes, our guys should have been more than adequate. Sewak's gotta go...

Last edited by a moderator:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Going over BYU's last few recruiting classes, our guys should have been more than adequate. Sewak's gotta go...

I agree with this in principle, however I'm not sure the recruiting rankings validate expectations. BYU appeared bigger and more athletic on both lines.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of BYU's players are a lot more developed simply because of the fact that they are just older. The 2 years of morman missions can really give some players the advantage. But there is no excuse for what went on Saturday night. Just awful all around

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would agree with the general feeling that the false starts indicate a problem. And it has not been just this season. But bottom line is that the GT OL was unable to consistently block VT, UM and BYU.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
The OL just looks consistently confused. They may not be 5* guys, but they are plenty talented enough to get the job done. What we've seen the last few weeks is about a lot more than just talent.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The OL play is just atrocious. The talent is there (Will Jackson was a 4-star recruit, and amongst the back-up are 3 4-star players in O'Reilly, Devine, and Brigham) and the experience SHOULD be there as well. WTF is going on???? Sure, we've got injuries, but still our back-ups have game-experience too. Did the fact that Uzzi graduated have a bigger impact than what people expected?

If Coach Sewak is a liability in recruiting and he's a liability at coaching the group he's responsible for sooooooo........ What is he good at? I'm assuming the answer would be kissing up or he makes a damn good pot of coffee.

perhaps has something to blackmail CPJ? Maybe CPJ has a tattoo of his wife in a Vad Lee jersey that Sewak knows about??? (a.l.a. Rex Ryan)

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I just hate the way we deal with injuries on the OL. We scramble everyone around to positions they haven't practiced consistently and wonder why they don't have cohesion as a unit. Every year we do this. It's madness.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just hate the way we deal with injuries on the OL. We scramble everyone around to positions they haven't practiced consistently and wonder why they don't have cohesion as a unit. Every year we do this. It's madness.
We moved one guy and he has a lot of experience at that position. We do it to put our best available 5 on the field together. Makes sense to me. Again, one guy played outside his normal position.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
We moved one guy and he has a lot of experience at that position. We do it to put our best available 5 on the field together. Makes sense to me. Again, one guy played outside his normal position.

My comment was not made in a vacuum. My comment was in regards to why our offensive line play has been abysmal. Our strategy of shuffling causes players to lose practice time at their best position, plain and simple. This problem was seeded with all of the shuffling that happened on the line in spring and fall camps. I don't have the time or patience to look it up, but I can't recall a single starter on our current line who practiced all of both camps this year at the position they're currently playing. Maybe Chamberlain?!? We've been doing this for years. Our guys know other positions so well because they're used to shuffling. It makes them versatile, but does nothing for consistency and cohesion.

It would be the equivalent of asking Sims or days to move back to qb for a few snaps. It should be a last resort. I'm not sure how I feel about the jemea shuffle yet...I'm not sure it was last resort time, but darned close and he should've been playing that position all along. He's better there than at corner and DJ has been playing pretty well in my opinion.