"Football for Fun" 1952 philosophy returning to the Flats?

bobbydoddsghost

Georgia Tech Fan
Bobbydoddsghost has returned.

I've been asleep for quite awhile, but the hiring of Coach Collins has me rattling my chains again! I believe coach Collins will go down as a great hire by Ga. Tech. All the boxes have been checked for a new coach to be successful on the Flats in football....good football pedigree, understands the school, knows the region, energetic, natural recruiter, and one more very important quality....he's fun.
Coach Dodd was able to recruit quality players to Tech that wanted to play football for him as much as for Ga. Tech. He had a reputation of making practice fun while getting in the needed work. High school athletes bought into that philosophy and Dodd had quite a run at a tough academic school.
Here's a copy of a 1952 TIME magazine article on Dodd and his approach:

upload_2018-12-15_7-49-40.jpeg

Two quotes are notable:

Dodd said, "I coach just like I would want to be coached if I was back in college - and the way I'd like my son to be coached." At Ga. Tech, they come as close as any big league squad can to playing football for plain fun.
And though Tech does its best to lure good players, Dodd must constantly cope with the hard fact that the engineering school has no snap courses like those found in some of the football foundries. How does Dodd consistently stay on top of the collegiate heap? The former All-American QB from Tennessee has a twinkle in his grey eyes when he answers that one: "Don't forget, we get the smarter boys-and that helps."
Collins appears to have the same successful approach as Dodd did decades ago. Collin's excitement will be contagious for all involved. He even has awaken this once sleeping ghost.....

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

I've been asleep for quite awhile, but the hiring of Coach Collins has me rattling my chains again! I believe coach Collins will go down as a great hire by Ga. Tech. All the boxes have been checked for a new coach to be successful on the Flats in football....good football pedigree, understands the school, knows the region, energetic, natural recruiter, and one more very important quality....he's fun.
Coach Dodd was able to recruit quality players to Tech that wanted to play football for him as much as for Ga. Tech. He had a reputation of making practice fun while getting in the needed work. High school athletes bought into that philosophy and Dodd had quite a run at a tough academic school.

View attachment 4757

Two quotes are notable:

Dodd said, "I coach just like I would want to be coached if I was back in college - and the way I'd like my son to be coached." At Ga. Tech, they come as close as any big league squad can to playing football for plain fun.
And though Tech does its best to lure good players, Dodd must constantly cope with the hard fact that the engineering school has no snap courses like those found in some of the football foundries. How does Dodd consistently stay on top of the collegiate heap? The former All-American QB from Tennessee has a twinkle in his grey eyes when he answers that one: "Don't forget, we get the smarter boys-and that helps."
Collins appears to have the same successful approach as Dodd did decades ago. Collin's excitement will be contagious for all involved. He even has awaken this once sleeping ghost.....
Imo we could not have gotten better human being!

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
My first cfb live game was 1956 Gator Bowl with GT vs Pittsburgh. Dodd had the team at the beach preparing for the game playing volleyball. Pitt was scrimmaging. We won 21-14. Belly series option offense 2 way players. Collins like Dodd says a big fast smart player can beat the other guy. Best hire by an AD who knows Tech. Hired a flexible successful HC who will recruit all over the country and knows Tech. Timing is great the cubbard is not bare. Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My first cfb live game was 1956 Gator Bowl with GT vs Pittsburgh. Dodd had the team at the beach preparing for the game playing volleyball. Pitt was scrimmaging. We won 21-14. Belly series option offense 2 way players. Collins like Dodd says a big fast smart player can beat the other guy. Best hire by an AD who knows Tech. Hired a flexible successful HC who will recruit all over the country and knows Tech. Timing is great the cubbard is not bare. Go Jackets!
Nice post.
I liked keeping my work place a fun one

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 4757

Two quotes are notable:

That Bammer running back that was knocked head over heels was All American Bobby Marlow:)