Football factories in the playoff

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A recent discussion I had got me thinking what exactly is a "football factory." I looked all over the web and couldn't find a definition, not even urban slang. I guess it depends on each individual, but I define it as a school that has completely sold out for football. To these programs, academics is nothing but a complete charade. They are basically a semi-pro football program loosely affiliated with a university.

But how do you quantify it so as to categorically determine if your favorite team is a factory. I have no idea. Instead, lets look at how many NFL players your team puts in da League. This is not the same thing, but at least it gives us a way to quantify. A more comprehensive definition would account for things like arrests, drug busts, domestic violence and/or sexual assault cases brought against, and above all.... down and out and/or illiterate former players. Unfortunately, there are no stats on the latter.

I've arbitrarily determined the cut off point to be 30 current NFL players from a given school is required for full membership in the American College Football Factory Association of America. By this definition, GT falls well short with its 15 former players occupying pro rosters. How about the 4 teams that made the playoff? Lets take a look at each.

1. Alabama. I doubt anybody in the land, including Alabama fans would deny them a membership.
42 NFLers

2. the Ohio State.
32 NFLers

2. Florida State.
38 NFLers

4. Oregon.
barely makes the cut with 30 NFLers

To drive the point home, the celebrated Ohio State 3rd string qb turned starter is most famous, or should I say infamous, for the following tweet:

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS"

Where does our favorite team to hate land on this map, you guessed it 38 NFLers.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
A recent discussion I had got me thinking what exactly is a "football factory." I looked all over the web and couldn't find a definition, not even urban slang. I guess it depends on each individual, but I define it as a school that has completely sold out for football. To these programs, academics is nothing but a complete charade. They are basically a semi-pro football program loosely affiliated with a university.

But how do you quantify it so as to categorically determine if your favorite team is a factory. I have no idea. Instead, lets look at how many NFL players your team puts in da League. This is not the same thing, but at least it gives us a way to quantify. A more comprehensive definition would account for things like arrests, drug busts, domestic violence and/or sexual assault cases brought against, and above all.... down and out and/or illiterate former players. Unfortunately, there are no stats on the latter.

I've arbitrarily determined the cut off point to be 30 current NFL players from a given school is required for full membership in the American College Football Factory Association of America. By this definition, GT falls well short with its 15 former players occupying pro rosters. How about the 4 teams that made the playoff? Lets take a look at each.

1. Alabama. I doubt anybody in the land, including Alabama fans would deny them a membership.
42 NFLers

2. the Ohio State.
32 NFLers

2. Florida State.
38 NFLers

4. Oregon.

To drive the point home, the celebrated Ohio State 3rd string qb turned starter is most famous, or should I say infamous, for the following tweet:

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS"

Where does our favorite team to hate land on this map, you guessed it 38 NFLers.

Not to defend Ohio st. but i thought it was well known that he tweeted that joking

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Factory - where the tail wags the dog , a school that will do anything to win.

Covers most of the SEC, Big 12, and several from the rest of the conferences.

Reminds me of the truism from former Ohio st president. Jim Tressell could fire me.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Not to defend Ohio st. but i thought it was well known that he tweeted that joking

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/113177/infamous-cardale-jones-tweet-a-stepping-stone

"I remember I was in class, and I think I got, like, a B on a [sociology] exam," Jones said. "It was just something so stupid; of course I didn't feel that way about academics, and I don't. Nobody in this program feels that way, we actually take that stuff very serious around here.

"It was just a dumbass thing to do. I definitely didn't think that would happen. It was just a stupid thing to do at that time. It was something where I just got pissed because I studied my *** off."

Doesn't sound like it was a joke to me. He came out with an excuse for the tweet, but the tweet was definitely his current feelings at the time

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nice post and nice discussion starter. I too do not know how to find all the hard data to tighten this definition but I know generically the characteristics I look for in a football factory.

1. How many former players actually graduated?
2. How many former players are earning a salary that is, on average, equivalent to the average salaries of all graduates from their school?
3. How many former players can speak rudimentary English or solve basic problems of logic?
4. How many former players live past the age of 50 or finish their lives without committing a felony?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer

42 NFLers

2. the Ohio State.
32 NFLers

2. Florida State.
38 NFLers

4. Oregon.

well if ya wanna make a big deal about what a tosu athlete said and qualify the school as being a fb factory .... shouldnt you include some of the stuff reggie ball did? and said? how about kenny anderson ? didnt joe hamilton get arrested for a dui/weed? dont we have a player in jail waiting trial on murder charges? didnt we have a player selling pounds of weed?

wasnt reggie the guy who was tossed out of class for listening to a radio? having discussions with other fb players about nothing related to that class? didnt somebody say he loved to toss spitballs?

didnt we get put on academic probation over oleary stuff? what about phewitt? not only did we finish last in the conference wrt bb didnt we also go on academic probation and finish last academically in the acc a number of years under phewitt.

if we are going to qualify as a bb factory shouldnt we at least win a few titles?

wrt the tosu scandal.... that i remember wasnt it over a few tatoos? didnt we have similar issues over a tshirt? so we are not factory but tosu is?

point being... kids are kids they do stupid stuff. they say stupid things. it happens everywhere. didnt gt players support the football for pay law suit? does that mean that we are a factory?

i look at the school not the kids. imo it doesnt take a rocket scientist to take one issue and immediately put 14 schools at the top of the list of "football'' factories.

last time i looked only the SEC over signs. starting with bama lsu on down the list most of the 14 sec members over sign.

the big ten does not. so at the worst i would put tosu at no 15. i went to tosu and to gt. tosu is a great school..... but even great schools mess up. of the buckeye fans i have talked to.... they are as ashamed of the scandals they have as we are. for the most part buckeyes do want to do it the right way. just like most jackets.

how many bama players are there on espn doing broadcast duties? i cant think of a single one. tosu has herbsteit and robert smith in prominent places on the broadcast teams. robert smith at one point was in med school. they are both very articulate and smart. they both have great things to say about GT.

imo the top football factories start with ALL THE SEC SCHOOLS. after that the discussion opens up a bit more.

just my opinion and i can be wrong ;)

go jackets
go buckeyes

i was kinda hoping we got into the play offs an played tosu in the championship game. i would have pulled for gt as gt is less of a factory than tosu.

this has been a pretty great season for me and my two teams. win win.

Last edited:

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/113177/infamous-cardale-jones-tweet-a-stepping-stone

"I remember I was in class, and I think I got, like, a B on a [sociology] exam," Jones said. "It was just something so stupid; of course I didn't feel that way about academics, and I don't. Nobody in this program feels that way, we actually take that stuff very serious around here.

"It was just a dumbass thing to do. I definitely didn't think that would happen. It was just a stupid thing to do at that time. It was something where I just got pissed because I studied my *** off."

Doesn't sound like it was a joke to me. He came out with an excuse for the tweet, but the tweet was definitely his current feelings at the time

If you have ever heard him talk that tweet does not personify him at all. Not just some kid that doesn't care about academics. Also heard the the tweet was a joke and was written terribly on purpose

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
well if ya wanna make a big deal about what a tosu athlete said and qualify the school as being a fb factory .... shouldnt you include some of the stuff reggie ball did? and said? how about kenny anderson ? didnt joe hamilton get arrested for a dui/weed? dont we have a player in jail waiting trial on murder charges? didnt we have a player selling pounds of weed?

wasnt reggie the guy who was tossed out of class for listening to a radio? having discussions with other fb players about nothing related to that class? didnt somebody say he loved to toss spitballs?

didnt we get put on academic probation over oleary stuff? what about phewitt? not only did we finish last in the conference wrt bb didnt we also go on academic probation and finish last academically in the acc a number of years under phewitt.

if we are going to qualify as a bb factory shouldnt we at least win a few titles?

wrt the tosu scandal.... that i remember wasnt it over a few tatoos? didnt we have similar issues over a tshirt? so we are not factory but tosu is?

point being... kids are kids they do stupid stuff. they say stupid things. it happens everywhere. didnt gt players support the football for pay law suit? does that mean that we are a factory?

i look at the school not the kids. imo it doesnt take a rocket scientist to take one issue and immediately put 14 schools at the top of the list of "football'' factories.

last time i looked only the SEC over signs. starting with bama lsu on down the list most of the 14 sec members over sign.

the big ten does not. so at the worst i would put tosu at no 15. i went to tosu and to gt. tosu is a great school..... but even great schools mess up. of the buckeye fans i have talked to.... they are as ashamed of the scandals they have as we are. for the most part buckeyes do want to do it the right way. just like most jackets.

how many bama players are there on espn doing broadcast duties? i cant think of a single one. tosu has herbsteit and robert smith in prominent places on the broadcast teams. robert smith at one point was in med school. they are both very articulate and smart. they both have great things to say about GT.

imo the top football factories start with ALL THE SEC SCHOOLS. after that the discussion opens up a bit more.

just my opinion and i can be wrong ;)

go jackets
go buckeyes

i was kinda hoping we got into the play offs an played tosu in the championship game. i would have pulled for gt as gt is less of a factory than tosu.

this has been a pretty great season for me and my two teams. win win.
The factory moniker doesn't come down to scandals as much as it does the white washing of academics. You can dig up scandalous anecdotes everywhere including every denomination of church.

What really signifies a "factory" is a school that only pretends to educate and prepare for life their athletes, and is solely in the football or other money generating sport business. It's hard to quantify or qualify it, but there are clues. Jock majors is a big red flag.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

42 NFLers

2. the Ohio State.
32 NFLers

2. Florida State.
38 NFLers

4. Oregon.

"A school that has COMPLETELY sold out for football...."

Are you saying, you truly believe, there are universities where 40,000 or so students have no academic requirements?

We are so close to becoming dookies it is now scary.

Animal02

Banned
Nice post and nice discussion starter. I too do not know how to find all the hard data to tighten this definition but I know generically the characteristics I look for in a football factory.

1. How many former players actually graduated?
2. How many former players are earning a salary that is, on average, equivalent to the average salaries of all graduates from their school?
3. How many former players can speak rudimentary English or solve basic problems of logic?
4. How many former players live past the age of 50 or finish their lives without committing a felony?

It is also how they treat players while they are at school.

How many players not seeing game time lose their scholarships, take a medical scholly, transfer, quit etc.?
How many commits have offers pulled or are gray shirted because a "better player at the same position commits?