Football Budget - Yes, it absolutely matters

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Before you complain about the state of our football program, this has to be on the table. GT is 61st out of 65 Power 5 teams in football budget. Below is how our spending compares to the rest of the ACC. When the top 4 are spending basically double or more than we are, it's no wonder we are falling behind. If you want things to change, take it to the GTAA, not the football office.

Florida State (No.2): $42.46 million
Notre Dame* (No. 4): $38.97 million
Clemson (No. 10): $34.67 million
Virginia Tech (No. 16): $31.15 million
Miami (No. 25): $28.47 million
Duke (No. 36): $23.47 million
North Carolina (No. 37): $23.46 million
Louisville (No. 38): $23.43 million
Syracuse (No. 39): $23.22 million
Pittsburgh (No. 40): $23.13 million
Boston College (No. 48): $21.35 million
Virginia (No. 51): $20.33 million
NC State (No. 54): $19.19 million
Georgia Tech (No. 61): $17.38 million
Wake Forest (No. 63): $16.61 million

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Before you complain about the state of our football program, this has to be on the table. GT is 61st out of 65 Power 5 teams in football budget. Below is how our spending compares to the rest of the ACC. When the top 4 are spending basically double or more than we are, it's no wonder we are falling behind. If you want things to change, take it to the GTAA, not the football office.

Florida State (No.2): $42.46 million
Notre Dame* (No. 4): $38.97 million
Clemson (No. 10): $34.67 million
Virginia Tech (No. 16): $31.15 million
Miami (No. 25): $28.47 million
Duke (No. 36): $23.47 million
North Carolina (No. 37): $23.46 million
Louisville (No. 38): $23.43 million
Syracuse (No. 39): $23.22 million
Pittsburgh (No. 40): $23.13 million
Boston College (No. 48): $21.35 million
Virginia (No. 51): $20.33 million
NC State (No. 54): $19.19 million
Georgia Tech (No. 61): $17.38 million
Wake Forest (No. 63): $16.61 million

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html
Said this is another thread, but I am not sure these figures are representative. It appears that:
(1) this data does not include facilities spending at all.
(2) this data is driven by notational spending on tuition...so schools with high tuitions will look like they are spending much more than GT when in reality the costs should be much lower
(3) travel expenses can vary by $1.5 million if a team doesn’t go to a bowl....doesn’t mean the school wouldn’t spend that money if they could
(4) GT will look like it spends less because we don’t have an Offsensive Coordinator
Still interesting, but it is really hard to compare

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I would believe this if it was total Athletic Department spending, but what exactly is Duke spending this money on? And Syracuse? Either they have giant shadow staffs that they are paying out the butt or they are awful at managing their money.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, let it sink in that DUKE spends $6 million more than GT on football. What does that say about the school's commitment to winning?
Not necessarily much. If Duke “charges” $65,000 per player for tuition, room, board etc and GT charges $25,000 per player....that’s a notional $4MM difference that isn’t really any difference.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't even know where we would spend $6million a year in just football. Teddy gets $750,000. Even if we added $500,000 in our budget and made our DC the highest paid in the nation where does the rest go? Another million for the other 3 defensive coaches? 2 for the offensive coaches? We'd have the highest paid staff in the nation and we still have about half left. There is definitely something fishy about this list

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I'm going to go with the tuition difference is making this list seem like it is something it really isn't. That being said, we should invest more in our program but this isn't really good evidence that we're destitute or anything.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
Said this is another thread, but I am not sure these figures are representative. It appears that:
(2) this data is driven by notational spending on tuition...so schools with high tuitions will look like they are spending much more than GT when in reality the costs should be much lower
(3) travel expenses can vary by $1.5 million if a team doesn’t go to a bowl....doesn’t mean the school wouldn’t spend that money if they could
(4) GT will look like it spends less because we don’t have an Offsensive Coordinator
Where does the article say that the data is driven by notational spending on tuition?? All I can see is a mention of "academic aid" which doesn't necessarily mean tuition. It could just as easily mean academic support staff, tutors, advisors etc.

Also, the article also states that $$ spent towards facilities is also not included in the budgets. That just means GT is probably even further behind the other schools.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't even know where we would spend $6million a year in just football. Teddy gets $750,000. Even if we added $500,000 in our budget and made our DC the highest paid in the nation where does the rest go? Another million for the other 3 defensive coaches? 2 for the offensive coaches? We'd have the highest paid staff in the nation and we still have about half left. There is definitely something fishy about this list
Recruiting staff, support staff, travel costs to recruit, $ spent on visits; there is A LOT more imvolved than coaches salaries.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't care if we spend half of that. We should not walk onto a field on the road with no emotion and get manhandled by Duke. Even against Clemson, our team at least looked like they wanted to play. We had zero emotion and fight out there. We looked flat and played flat all have. It was the most disgusting attempt at taking the field I've seen under CPJ's tenure. That was awful.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care if we spend half of that. We should not walk onto a field on the road with no emotion and get manhandled by Duke. Even against Clemson, our team at least looked like they wanted to play. We had zero emotion and fight out there. We looked flat and played flat all have. It was the most disgusting attempt at taking the field I've seen under CPJ's tenure. That was awful.

We go into every game high on emotion. But after a few turnovers and touchdowns from opponents, it's enough to sap the emotion. Moreso when you have 3 heartbreakers in one season. You go out there and see how energetic you can be when you're down by 3 touchdowns.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ng-top-recruiting-spenders-usc-much/22603511/

From '09-'13 we spent the 4th most on recruiting (in FBS) and spent more than UGA. Even if we added another $500,000 to recruiting staff and travel budget we still wouldn't be close to the $6million figure. And that's after having the highest paid DC and some of the highest paid position coaches in football in this hypothetical universe. Put the other $2million in shadow staff? I'm sorry, I'm just not buying that $6million a year difference as anything but tuition at least for us vs. Duke

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I am betting facilities spending by an institution is generally in line with their place on this list.

FSU, Clemson, and VT are all similarly priced to GT. May make a bit of difference with BC/Duke, but Wake is below us and they are much more expensive.

Correct, but we went to a bowl and are below teams that didn't.

Maybe an $800,000 difference, which is chump change considering the millions behind we already are.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Would anyone want Chad Glasgow? Not saying we are or should fire Roof, im just asking a question. We would/should be able to afford him and I think he could make more money at GT. He would already have the players here to run his scheme as well and he has probably learned a good bit from Garry Patterson.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I am betting facilities spending by an institution is generally in line with their place on this list.

FSU, Clemson, and VT are all similarly priced to GT. May make a bit of difference with BC/Duke, but Wake is below us and they are much more expensive.

Correct, but we went to a bowl and are below teams that didn't.

Maybe an $800,000 difference, which is chump change considering the millions behind we already are.

I have to think the travel expenses are also impacted by our location in a hub city with some of the cheapest airfare in the nation?