Following through 3O motion when giving the dive

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm wondering why JT doesn't do what Byerly was doing at the end of the Pitt game in flowing the 3O action out even if he doesn't have the ball. I know I was fooled most of the time keeping my eye on him instead of the B-Back, and I would have to assume some of the DBs had to be biting too. At the very least it would help keep defensive action from flowing to the middle to help clean up the dive tackle.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing this all the time? When we get Leggett (or any explosive BB in) I think that would help give extra room to run.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I saw that too. Probably would help at least cause some additional hesitation some of the time. That said, I think JT is already one of the best at hiding the mesh and confusing defenses as to whether he has handed the ball off or kept it. Could be something he could add though as he gets more experience.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw that too. Probably would help at least cause some additional hesitation some of the time. That said, I think JT is already one of the best at hiding the mesh and confusing defenses as to whether he has handed the ball off or kept it. Could be something he could add though as he gets more experience.
Would it confuse them more if JT only faked the keep some of the time vs all of the time? I.E. wait until they start keying on QB motion then insert the fake.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
It should happen every time. If it happens every time, then, whether you give or you keep, it always looks the same.

If you give then watch the BBack and don't carry out the fake, the defense knows it a give. Why waste the potential to possibly fool some defensive players? I really wish CPJ would get onto the QB's about doing that honestly.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Vad was probably the all-time worst at the mesh..especially on the give it basically looked like a handoff..

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It should happen every time. If it happens every time, then, whether you give or you keep, it always looks the same.

If you give then watch the BBack and don't carry out the fake, the defense knows it a give. Why waste the potential to possibly fool some defensive players? I really wish CPJ would get onto the QB's about doing that honestly.

Sometimes you may think it was supposed to be a 3O play, but it was really a called dive. So it's not a mistake everytime he doesn't carry out the fake, but I agree it looks good.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes you may think it was supposed to be a 3O play, but it was really a called dive. So it's not a mistake everytime he doesn't carry out the fake, but I agree it looks good.
I think the point they are trying to make that even on plain dive give if the QB would carry out the fake it would help the dive out because some of the defenders might follow the QB instead of going for the dive.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Auburn is good at going through the motions, they do a good job of making you guess where the ball is going.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Always carry out the fake. There's not as much difference between what JT and Byerly do as is being made out. They both follow through to the second read key which is the correct thing. JTs mesh is pretty good, Byerly did trick some folks during the Pitt game, though. That was always one of my favorite things when I played in hs was having a defender come off his dive assignment and then realize you don't have the ball. Just the moment of realization on their face and looking back at the guy running untouched through the secondary, pure gold.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Always carry out the fake. There's not as much difference between what JT and Byerly do as is being made out. They both follow through to the second read key which is the correct thing. JTs mesh is pretty good, Byerly did trick some folks during the Pitt game, though. That was always one of my favorite things when I played in hs was having a defender come off his dive assignment and then realize you don't have the ball. Just the moment of realization on their face and looking back at the guy running untouched through the secondary, pure gold.

What I noticed and was focused on when I saw this thread was Byerly actually faking a pitch after having handed to the b-back. I had not noticed that before by any other QB. I think they all do keep rolling out after the handoff.