Fiscal Year 2016 FBS Revenue & Expenses

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Quick perusal-

Tenn & Texas look pretty strong.

Little surprised at Clemson #

Dear heaven, poor Tulane! I honestly hate to see that.

Interesting find.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is pretty impressive but do we know if some of these numbers might be skewed based on how things are categorized? Like maybe something that isn't considered an expense by that data is actually an expense for us? Otherwise that's pretty awesome and they should have lowered our season ticket prices this year bc of it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know it's not news for most, but they call football and men's basketball revenue sports for a reason. Other sports largely are not.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There has to be something in there that I don't get, because it is hard for me to believe that Tech made a $28 million profit in football and Clemson roughly a third of that with a NC. What numbers are not included?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
At least this, as noted on the reporting tab: "Per EADA guidelines, GTAA's annual debt service funding totaling $13,361,358 is not included in this report. "

Total GTAA Profit was $107,489 on the year, not including that debt service.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Debt service for a public school in the AA is not necessarily a bad thing. Remember these are largely non profit filings with exemptions. Each school has tricks.

Gt fiscal health is not nearly as poor as the cry me a river stuff in the papers. However we dont have a ton of room either for endeavors because we have a very weak consistent donor base.

We can get big donations as one offs. But I am referring to the health of the many consistent donations. Roll Call takes most of peoples donations and the AA is left with whoever didnt tap out in roll call....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Debt service for a public school in the AA is not necessarily a bad thing. Remember these are largely non profit filings with exemptions. Each school has tricks.

Gt fiscal health is not nearly as poor as the cry me a river stuff in the papers. However we dont have a ton of room either for endeavors because we have a very weak consistent donor base.

We can get big donations as one offs. But I am referring to the health of the many consistent donations. Roll Call takes most of peoples donations and the AA is left with whoever didnt tap out in roll call....
Okay, so I have a question, and believe me I am not trying to throw gasoline on fires or be smarmy. But it seems a fairly typical, or let us say not unusual, theme on the board when recruiting comes up, that GT graduates make so much money, and one of six (I think, though how people are supposed to know baffles me) GT graduates "is a millionaire". So if one buys that proposition -- I don't have a clue -- then what is the inference to draw if there is a bad donor base for the old white and gold? That GT graduates are cheap? Self-centered and selfish? The got their money so good luck getting your money? I know a couple of graduates who are not like that, but ... what explains the lack of institutional pride and ownership that graduates of (in my experience) UNC-Chapel Hill or Duke have? It's a serious question that perplexes me. Anybody?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so I have a question, and believe me I am not trying to throw gasoline on fires or be smarmy. But it seems a fairly typical, or let us say not unusual, theme on the board when recruiting comes up, that GT graduates make so much money, and one of six (I think, though how people are supposed to know baffles me) GT graduates "is a millionaire". So if one buys that proposition -- I don't have a clue -- then what is the inference to draw if there is a bad donor base for the old white and gold? That GT graduates are cheap? Self-centered and selfish? The got their money so good luck getting your money? I know a couple of graduates who are not like that, but ... what explains the lack of institutional pride and ownership that graduates of (in my experience) UNC-Chapel Hill or Duke have? It's a serious question that perplexes me. Anybody?

Nothing. You are missing my point. Our donation to Roll Call is off the charts good. Last year we landed 130 million in donations and 250 million in total pledges. For one YEAR!!!!! That is outstanding.

So, Roll Call dries up the donation money. The AA is left with the scraps afterward....its really THAT simple. GT taps its donor base really well for school pledges and almost blocks the AA from participating in tandem. The AA has to launch its own effort and its often fruitless since Roll call has cornered the market so to speak.

So what you are saying or asking has nothing to do with it. Its just simply GT internally competes for donor funds moreso than other schools, which coordinate and share a little better...

But this goes back to also have 2/3 of the athletic board being professors. In whole, GT the school views GT the athletics as a necessary evil vs a flower to grow. The school supports athletics, but in the realm of the AA supporting the AA

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Nothing. You are missing my point. Our donation to Roll Call is off the charts good. Last year we landed 130 million in donations and 250 million in total pledges. For one YEAR!!!!! That is outstanding.

So, Roll Call dries up the donation money. The AA is left with the scraps afterward....its really THAT simple. GT taps its donor base really well for school pledges and almost blocks the AA from participating in tandem. The AA has to launch its own effort and its often fruitless since Roll call has cornered the market so to speak.

So what you are saying or asking has nothing to do with it. Its just simply GT internally competes for donor funds moreso than other schools, which coordinate and share a little better...

But this goes back to also have 2/3 of the athletic board being professors. In whole, GT the school views GT the athletics as a necessary evil vs a flower to grow. The school supports athletics, but in the realm of the AA supporting the AA

A lot of this.

Compare the make up of our AA board vs schools in the ACC and ugag. In several ways we are stuck in the Middle Ages.

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
To further what 33jacket said, Tech has been in the top five among public universities for alumni donations for decades. Overall, including private schools like the Ivies that get off-the-chart donations, we're in or near the top 25 every year. Our alumni are not selfish or cheap. Giving to athletics is apparently a low priority for most donors, but that's not surprising. Tech's rep is centered on academic excellence, not football, so that's the kind of people who Tech tends to attract.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe the report on the Syracuse site includes all revenue. It probably leaves out donations

From GT:
Georgia Tech Athletic Association

For 2013, 14 and 15, in millions: 65.7 80.9 74.4

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

OK. Point taken. My only frame of reference for such as this is Clemson, the only other college team I have any interest in at all, though I have never even looked at a message board there. But from what I have read and heard, maybe they go to the other end of the scale; But clearly the school president and A.D. and the people in IPTAY -- still about the coolest acronym I've ever heard -- are all in all the time, with money, staffing, travel, a new football building that I gather has some on the faculty really aggrieved since budget cuts have eliminated land line telephones in many offices ... but enrollment is booming and the school is growing. It helps maybe that the school president has publicly said, when Alabama was supposedly about to come calling, that Clemson would beat any offer to keep Swinney. Anyway, thanks.