First Time Plays signaled in from sidelines

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This was the first game that CPJ has not shuffled in a player with the play call. JT would go up to the line and then step back and look to sideline to have it signaled to him. I loved it and think it can be a game changer going forward.

Although knowing CPJ this might be the last time we ever see it.

Go Jackets!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Any chance this has something to do with CPJ not trusting the ABs with bringing in the calls? No evidence to support that, just curious.

Matt E

GT Athlete
In order to make the defense nervous we need to run plays without stepping up and then having JT look to the sideline. It doesn't have to be often but would make the defense really scramble. UNC was running all over the place trying to adjust the first couple series but we never did a quick snap. As a result I don't think they were concerned about us going up tempo. Maybe 1 out of 10 plays would be enough to keep them honest.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we do this last series in Charlotte?

I liked it also. I noticed a two or three coaches makes signs for calls and CPJ just observing. I'd guess he was telling them play to call using headphones. Which brings up another questions, when he sends in play with an A back, do the position coaches know what he has called? Does he have mic on when he tells A back the call?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We have signaled plays in several times. I think he did it because the D has been aligning and making JT check, then shifting again to get numbers to the opposite side after the check. When we go through our pre-snap motion JT checks with CPJ and the actual play is called. The D has to declare due to the pre-snap motion in case we quick snap it. JT may go into the play with a base call that he can quick snap if he sees something he really likes from the defensive alignment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We have signaled plays in several times. I think he did it because the D has been aligning and making JT check, then shifting again to get numbers to the opposite side after the check. When we go through our pre-snap motion JT checks with CPJ and the actual play is called. The D has to declare due to the pre-snap motion in case we quick snap it. JT may go into the play with a base call that he can quick snap if he sees something he really likes from the defensive alignment.

I think you're onto something. We've been hurt by the defense shifting, etc. This strategy appears to be a method of minimizing defense personnel changes and presnap movement.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I liked it. It seemed to work. Acknowledging there is a problem and taking steps to fix it is fine by me.

If we can vary our snap count/motion a little to throw off Clemson and VT's gap shooting LBs I will be happy.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I found this very interesting. My dad and I were at the game, and of course, we were trying to figure out why. My dad reminded me that if we don't substitute, refs won't hold the ball for defense to sub. I thought that was a pretty cool way to wear them down and not give defensive players time to get extra sideline coaching between subs, even if that wasn't the real reason!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We also lined up quickly. Didnt snap quickly but lined up quickly. This forces the d to align quickly. Reduces their subs so they can tire out. And may simplify their schemes. But. It worked. Then. We bogged down and sucked in the second half. So who knows. With an inexperienced perimeter i like it.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Coach Johnson said in this week's press conference that signaling in the plays allowed Justin to not need to make any checks but also half-joked that maybe we would've been better off if he'd let Justin make a check down at the goalline.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach spoke at length about this on the call in show. I think as was said above it was to make it easier for Justin. And as also noted, if he gets to the line and snaps it quickly, the defense can't keep jumping into different alignments. The downside is that he often adds some extra information when he sends things in by player. He gave an example something like: "Tell that ******* at right tackle to kick out on the safety instead of what he's been doing"