Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

This Is Fine GIF

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
While not a surprise, Georgia Tech athletic director Todd Stansbury confirmed that coach Geoff Collins will return for a fourth season Wednesday night. Stansbury made the declaration on Collins' radio show on The Fan. ... He also made mention of the number of close losses that the Jackets have suffered this season.59 mins ago.

Jmonty71

Banned
I can't say I'm shocked that Collins is back next season. We can't afford to let him go. However; I'm not sure we can afford to keep him either. Will another non-bowl season, with 3, maybe 4 wins be better for us? I truly hope I'm wrong, but, I don't foresee Collins magically turning things around. If you do the same thing over and over, and fail over and over, at what point do have the common sense to realize that something needs to change? Now, the next question is, do we see the same coordinators? I hope not, but I have 0 confidence in Collins making a right move. Man, I wished I got paid a lot of money, to fail at my job. Is GT hiring??? I mean the bar seems set pretty low.....

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Can't say I'm shocked about what TStan said. He's been all for Collins in the last, likes the culture he is building and knows we can't afford his buyout.

Now I will say though, hopefully tstan told him he needs to change his approach and or change something on his staff

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
It sucks but we basically have a roster full of sophomores (freshman due to covid). There is no way you can judge Collins fairly right now. But the next two seasons will give us the answer. If we suck when Gibbs and Sims are juniors, with a junior/senior Oline, then we will know we have problems. Right now its just frustrating, but the teams that beat us have more talent and depth than we do.

Personally I do think we will need some new coordinators. But I am willing to give Collins two more seasons. We are not a football factory loaded with talent where you can just judge a new coach in 2-3 seasons. CPJ came in with a loaded roster and won big, but after that it took him from 2009---->2014 to show what he can do with his recruits. 2010-2013 was PAINFUL!
You and I have different definitions of painful. In those years were 6-7, 8-5, 7-7, 7-6. Mediocre but not 9-24

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t have the money you half to save face. If we was a powerhouse he would be gone but we’re not a powerhouse so he stays. That should tell you where gatech is on the totem poll of college football.
Not being capable of paying buyouts when things are going really bad seems like a fast track to complete irrelevance. We also now pay our head coach less than Liberty does. If we don't find a way to generate more revenue to afford buyouts and decent coaches then im not sure attempting to compete at this level is a fruitful endeavor.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not understand unproven coaches getting multi year contracts. Put winning incentives in place on a base that declines over time. Is not winning the ultimate measure of a coach? Alabama, UGA, OSU have all fallen into a. Copycat routine of huge bases with negligible incentives. ALL ADs run scared on innovation. I propose a reasonable base with increasing incentives starting at the 6 winning mark all the way to Natty. Additional incentives for academic performance. WINNING puts fans in the stands and branded merchandise on bodies. Isn’t GT the school whose foundation was built on innovation?

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not understand unproven coaches getting multi year contracts. Put winning incentives in place on a base that declines over time. Is not winning the ultimate measure of a coach? Alabama, UGA, OSU have all fallen into a. Copycat routine of huge bases with negligible incentives. ALL ADs run scared on innovation. I propose a reasonable base with increasing incentives starting at the 6 winning mark all the way to Natty. Additional incentives for academic performance. WINNING puts fans in the stands and branded merchandise on bodies. Isn’t GT the school whose foundation was built on innovation?
I think what happened was the coordinator gold mine of the 90's.

You had both NFL and Colleges start poaching a coordinator from a good team rather than the head coach. A few times, they got lucky and it really paid off, so ever since then people have been hurling money at coordinators and unproven coaches hoping to win that same lottery.

Unfortunately, the quality of those people has seriously declined over the years as they don't have to prove themselves anymore. Get on a winning team and by the end of the year you'll have people trying desperately to hire you.

Lane Kiffin is my case in point. That guy never stayed anywhere more than a year or two and never really had any success to speak of and yet people to this day fall all over themselves hurling money at him.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. There is so much money from TV and revenue sharing that change is discouraged. Go for the safety net so your family is safe. Revenue sharing blunts the sharp edge of change. Instead it should give a gutsycollege prez and his AD a base for gutsy change. The next month will tell us what 👿 lurks in the hearts of the front office or if it’s more mashed potatoes made with margarine and “saltiness” substitute…..no gravy

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

If we are going to innovate on anything, let's focus on improving the things that would improve the attractiveness of this job to the best possible candidates. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think we are perceived as a good place to coach. Collins was an exception due to his local roots. The pay is somewhat influenced by prevailing market forces. We may not like it but iiwii. But fix the other things that prevent the best of the best from coming here/

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand unproven coaches getting multi year contracts. Put winning incentives in place on a base that declines over time.

Because ADs don't make contracts unilaterally. They kind of need the coach to agree to it. And as it turns out, coaches like some measure of job security.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11682
I think this is probably the straw that broke the camel's back. I also think CCG was fine, but I honestly think he under performed by a large margin considering the teams he had. Maybe it was just variance, and he'd have improved. Will never know.
The last time Wake had a good year, the following year was the last year of the Tech coach's tenure.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He is still here I see guess my Thanksgiving wish didn't come true. Guess I'll have to go to the Mall tomorrow and tell Santa Claus what I want for Christmas. Don't unpack CGC I'm working hard to get you bad to Temple. ( remember you love those players also )