Fire CJP

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Paster really much of an upgrade over Gregory?

2011-12 11-20 overall 4-12 conference Played all home games in gwinnett center
2012-13 16-15 6-12
2013-14 16-17 6-12
2014-15 12-19 3-15
2015-16 21-15 8-10 NIT
78-86 27-61

Recruits drafted by NBA = 1

Major accomplishment: got us out of APR trouble left by Hewitt.

2016-17 21-16 8-10 Gregory’s players
2017-18 13-19 6-12
2018-19 14-18 6-12
2019-20 17-14 11-9 Banned from postseason
2020-21 17-9 11-6 NCAA
2021-22 6-7 0-3
88-82 42-52

Recruits drafted by NBA = 0

Major accomplishment: won ACC championship in COVID shortened tournament.

I see two bad coaches in a row. The only difference is one was much better at self-preservation with the “this is a major rebuild” and “wait until we get old and stay old” slogans.
Yes. Iv20gt has already explained why. I would just like to add that those Gregory teams were nearly unwatchable most of the time, and I don’t mean the games were buried on the Bally network. I am proud of Gregory’s players for their efforts and for being Tech Men, but some of those teams lacked scoring talent at nearly every position. Bless Marcus Georges-Hunt for giving us anything at all to root for for during those dark days.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
This is laughable. Pastner is a good coach, period. The only blemish I see is the recruiting this year. After winning the ACC, I was hopeful that we would take a step forward in our recruiting, it doesn't look like we have.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Don’t we have the second lowest budget in the ACC? And 5th and 4th place finishes the last 2 seasons after no tournament appearances since 2010? Pastner may be doing more with less than any coach in P6 right now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If y'all are happy with bottom dwellers yes keep him, he won the acc tournament on some luck with covid, but we are watching his ceiling.
We are not watching his ceiling. Without luck he finished #4 in the ACC and got us to the tournament last year.

In five years he's won ACC COY and in a separate season was an ACC champion coach.

Pastner earns a pass this year given how last year ended, but if this year and next year are bad I’m not sure how long he can stick around
If they struggle to get into double digit wins two straight years, he absolutely should be on the hot seat. Sadly we know how much the finances suck for GT though. Getting a 9 seed in the tournament shouldn’t be the ceiling for a coach at this level.
These are interesting hypothetical points. If something bad happens in the future, we should be upset and consider getting rid of him. Not an unreasonable hypothetical outcome for something that hasn't happened.

Conversely, if something good happens in the future, maybe we should extend him. Also if he decides to bring Ron Bell back, we should fire him. But if he decides to save baby seals from clubbing, I think we should praise him but also question his priorities.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
This is laughable. Pastner is a good coach, period. The only blemish I see is the recruiting this year. After winning the ACC, I was hopeful that we would take a step forward in our recruiting, it doesn't look like we have.
His recruiting misstep of not taking anybody this year is very comparable to the year that CGC took no offensive linemen. Gonna bite us in the *** for a few seasons to come.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But if he decides to save baby seals from clubbing, I think we should praise him but also question his priorities.

Have you seen what seals do to penguins?!! Have you seen what killer whales do to seals?!!

Vicious cycle this thing called nature...also apply it to sports and messageboards.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To be competitive in February our bigs have to really improve significantly. Duke pulled Saba out of the paint when we were in man and then would drive past him. He got a couple of blocks from behind when it did happen. Lots of missed shots from close range last night. He needs to stronger to the hoop and at least draw fouls. Meka is pretty good defensively and decent at rebounding but not a scorer. He played well at times last night. Howard didn't play last night against Duke but he has not been much on offense so far either. The center position is our biggest liability right now. If we can develop that position in January this team will show improvement. Still trying to understand how we didn't recruit better at that position.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

2012-13 16-15 6-12
2013-14 16-17 6-12
2014-15 12-19 3-15
2015-16 21-15 8-10 NIT
78-86 27-61

2017-18 13-19 6-12
2018-19 14-18 6-12
2020-21 17-9 11-6 NCAA
2021-22 6-7 0-3
88-82 42-52

I see two bad coaches in a row. The only difference is one was much better at self-preservation with the “this is a major rebuild” and “wait until we get old and stay old” slogans.
Your numbers don’t make any sense at all. They prove that CJP is much better than CBG. Way more wins over all and especially in the conference.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

2012-13 16-15 6-12
2013-14 16-17 6-12
2014-15 12-19 3-15
2015-16 21-15 8-10 NIT
78-86 27-61

2017-18 13-19 6-12
2018-19 14-18 6-12
2020-21 17-9 11-6 NCAA
2021-22 6-7 0-3
88-82 42-52

Is this a serious post? What exactly did Gregory accomplish while here? Also, remember that Pastner's first year we were picked last in the conference with many predicting we would not win a single conference game. We lost basically all the production from the previous year. How many top 5 conference finishes did Gregory have? What trophy did he bring home? How many NCAA appearances? How many ACC POY or DPOY? How many ACC COY?
I know we are struggling this year but we also need to look at who we have played and who we lost to. The only game we can say we should have won that we lost was Miami OH the first game of the season. 4 of our loses are to top 25 teams (Duke, USC, LSU, Wisconsin). 2 more are to teams more talented and experienced (UNC, Louisville). We did not get to play Alabama State and Syracuse, which in my mind we should win. Talking about firing the coach at this point is just stupid.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have you seen what seals do to penguins?!! Have you seen what killer whales do to seals?!!

Vicious cycle this thing called nature...also apply it to sports and messageboards.
I follow that same dude on TikTok.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this a serious post? What exactly did Gregory accomplish while here? Also, remember that Pastner's first year we were picked last in the conference with many predicting we would not win a single conference game. We lost basically all the production from the previous year. How many top 5 conference finishes did Gregory have? What trophy did he bring home? How many NCAA appearances? How many ACC POY or DPOY? How many ACC COY?
I know we are struggling this year but we also need to look at who we have played and who we lost to. The only game we can say we should have won that we lost was Miami OH the first game of the season. 4 of our loses are to top 25 teams (Duke, USC, LSU, Wisconsin). 2 more are to teams more talented and experienced (UNC, Louisville). We did not get to play Alabama State and Syracuse, which in my mind we should win. Talking about firing the coach at this point is just stupid.
I think that Gregory was not a good coach. I also think that Pastner is not much better. You argue that we lost players to graduation and that we lose games because all of the teams we play are better than we are. I agree with these points. That is what good recruiting and good coaching are supposed to overcome.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention that we just won the ACC championship and had back to back winning conference seasons for the first time in like 25 years. Sure - let’s fire him before we let this continue!

This season is disappointing and doesn’t really look like it’s going to produce much in the way of wins. We need more out of the 5 spot, as I truly think that’s the root of our issues. We miss way too many shots down low that should be gimmes. PG play is spotty, but it’s been good enough to win more than we have.

Right now I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff hit the portal for a big after the season.
Pastner appears to have gone back to a more Princeton offense with backdoor cuts. He doesn't have the PG quickness this year to go to a dribble drive like we had with Jose. That change in O last year was very successful with our personnel. Looked like he tried to run an isolation with court spread a couple of times but didn't work. Called Devoe's number a lot in second half. Ended up taking a couple of low percentage shots but beat his man a few times for layups. Had a nice night against what a lot of Dukies say may be their best defensive team. Duke is interesting this year in that they don't seem to have great PG play as they usually do. We hung with them pretty well for most of the night until that little spurt at the end. They beat us with FT's and RB's which is typical when a game is played in Cameron. Got to like Ush's game. He goes full out and is fearless.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Before opening this I figured that someone was embarrassed by the face shield.

That's not what this is? Admittedly, I did not read the OP. Once a thread gets to 2+ pages, it takes on a life of it's own.

You can either be disciplined and read the OP or you can read the LP (last post) and pretend like you know what the thread is about.

I imagine about 97.5% of posters are LPers.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Pastner is a solid coach. We have had good schemes during his 5 1/2 seasons. His #1 issue is he is a very poor recruiter. In his six classes he has signed 3 top 150 players (Devoe, Coleman and Kelly). You simply can't win regularly in the ACC without top shelf talent. Signing one top 150 player the equivalent of ever other year won't get the job done. He has been solid in the Transfer business but the guys we get there are mostly complementary players, not players that can lead/carry a team. Unless he really steps up his recruting we will be almost always a mid to lower tier ACC team. Guys like Moses, no stars recruit that become Conference Player of the Year, don't come along but once every few decades at best.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

2012-13 16-15 6-12
2013-14 16-17 6-12
2014-15 12-19 3-15
2015-16 21-15 8-10 NIT
78-86 27-61

2017-18 13-19 6-12
2018-19 14-18 6-12
2020-21 17-9 11-6 NCAA
2021-22 6-7 0-3
88-82 42-52

Gregory’s players lmfao you act like he was given a stacked roster when in reality he had next to no returning production