FINALS & Kennesaw State Weekend Baseball Series

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
CDH said he is "fine" but "day to day" after game yesterday. I'm trying to read between lines... but almost sounded like it may not be injury related. ...but not something CDH would expound on either. Bless the folks asking questions, but they do not follow up or press him on ANYTHING.
Been out of the loop last few days, was Archer a day of change? I didn't see him in the recap?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Been out of the loop last few days, was Archer a day of change? I didn't see him in the recap?
Grissom was moved up to start yesterday. The only thing I have seen or heard from CDH is a matter of fact statement before & after yesterday's game saying he (Archer) was "fine" & "day to day"... for me, those 2 things don't actually align. But that's what he said.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I must confess that I badly overvalued my expectations for our team this year. Pitching is, well I just don't have the proper words, so I'll say disappointed. Same for the defense. Off. may not be all world, but 5 or more runs per game should keep you winning at a high level. Its not that we are a bad team, I just let my expectations get ahead of what the team was capable of. Next year I'm going to expect less, and hope for more.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I must confess that I badly overvalued my expectations for our team this year. Pitching is, well I just don't have the proper words, so I'll say disappointed. Same for the defense. Off. may not be all world, but 5 or more runs per game should keep you winning at a high level. Its not that we are a bad team, I just let my expectations get ahead of what the team was capable of. Next year I'm going to expect less, and hope for more.
Good luck. You just described me EVERY year. I quit trying to fix it. 😃

Deleted member 2897

You have to score to win. We scored 1 and 5 in our losses. There isn’t a phase of our game right now that is consistent and beyond improvement.

Deleted member 2897

5 runs should win a game in baseball though. We missed Archer this weekend and really need him to be healthy for Clemson next weekend.

Well but that feels like saying you should win a football game if you score 24 points. I mean it puts you in a position to win, but you don’t have really that much margin for error.

Dan the Chemist

Georgia Tech Fan
Good luck. You just described me EVERY year. I quit trying to fix it. 😃
This is a constant refrain with me at least…so close…so much potential…early season promise…soul crushing season of postseason! How could we (for example) gotten to the 1994 CWS final game- the championship game- and been shelled by Oklahoma???? How could we get to the championship basketball game in 2004, and then be destroyed by UConn????
Except for 1990 - pre Championship series football- when we finally snagged a NC…the life of a Tech fan is never for the faint of heart!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
This team ......... aye Chee carumba!! So much talent seemingly, yet so frequently disappointing.

Seems like we frequently fail in the fundamentals, but maybe it’s just me looking for something. The pitching’s inconsistency with control continues to baffle me. And on top of it all, it often seems like we are on the bad side of the “breaks”.

I made peace with my expectations for this team after the Notre Dame series. I continue to “hope” that they magically turn it around, but I don’t have any real expectations they will.

I think by sheer talent they will win enough of the remaining games to make the NCAAs. I could see us winning two or three games in the ACC tournament. However, making the regionals seems like the ceiling to me. Hope I am proven wrong.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
------I made peace with my expectations for this team after the Notre Dame series. I continue to “hope” that they magically turn it around, but I don’t have any real expectations they will.

I think by sheer talent they will win enough of the remaining games to make the NCAAs. I could see us winning two or three games in the ACC tournament. However, making the regionals seems like the ceiling to me. Hope I am proven wrong.

Yup, I don't know when I made peace with this team. But I have. I spent the weekend hiking out of cell range (not that I cared) and didn't even bother when I got cell service back but waited till I got home to check the stats. So I'm now in the show me mode and not expecting this team to any more than they have done in the last month.

We have a 162 non-conference rpi. Tell me rpi is bull**** after we lose a home series to KSU (rpi 129). The hack on rpi is the lack of non-conference games. Fortunately our NC games have been limited or our rpi would be worse and more believable. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/schedule/Georgia-Tech

The lowest rpi of any of our remaining opponents is 48. Unfortunately only 3 of the remaining 10 games are away. So we may not make the NCAAs. But I still think we will make the NCAAs with a good ACC Tourney since it's away.

Deleted member 2897

Yup, I don't know when I made peace with this team. But I have. I spent the weekend hiking out of cell range (not that I cared) and didn't even bother when I got cell service back but waited till I got home to check the stats. So I'm now in the show me mode and not expecting this team to any more than they have done in the last month.

We have a 162 non-conference rpi. Tell me rpi is bull**** after we lose a home series to KSU (rpi 129). The hack on rpi is the lack of non-conference games. Fortunately our NC games have been limited or our rpi would be worse and more believable. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/schedule/Georgia-Tech

The lowest rpi of any of our remaining opponents is 48. Unfortunately only 3 of the remaining 10 games are away. So we may not make the NCAAs. But I still think we will make the NCAAs with a good ACC Tourney since it's away.

Imagine not making the tournament after being ranked in the top 10. Incredible collapse.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Imagine not making the tournament after being ranked in the top 10. Incredible collapse.
Likewise, imagine if we wouldn’t have choked away 7+ run leads against Pitt & ND and we were sitting @ 17-10 in conf. We would be staring down the barrel of hosting, despite being super inconsistent. The only difference is a couple of pitches/coaching decisions/plays made/etc. woulda coulda shoulda

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Likewise, imagine if we wouldn’t have choked away 7+ run leads against Pitt & ND and we were sitting @ 17-10 in conf. We would be staring down the barrel of hosting, despite being super inconsistent. The only difference is a couple of pitches/coaching decisions/plays made/etc. woulda coulda shoulda
Lack of quality pitching every year it seems. I was more excited going into this season as it appeared we finally had the depth we've always missed on the mound. And then all the positive hype around the new pitching "lab" was exciting. Not sure what our coaches are teaching this group but that "lab" combined with coaching simply isn't producing acceptable results by any metrics. Worry top pitching prospects look at these results and question things... Gotta believe this is the low point of this season - getting beat by a local team we should throttle - no fluke either as KSU was clearly the better team in all facets of the game... Gotta start questioning coaching with these type results combined with top recruiting classes.

Deleted member 2897

Lack of quality pitching every year it seems. I was more excited going into this season as it appeared we finally had the depth we've always missed on the mound. And then all the positive hype around the new pitching "lab" was exciting. Not sure what our coaches are teaching this group but that "lab" combined with coaching simply isn't producing acceptable results by any metrics. Worry top pitching prospects look at these results and question things... Gotta believe this is the low point of this season - getting beat by a local team we should throttle - no fluke either as KSU was clearly the better team in all facets of the game... Gotta start questioning coaching with these type results combined with top recruiting classes.

I love CDH but he’s Bobby Bowdening himself.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
The 2020 class was high ranking and stacked, yes, but not for pitching.
The High rank was Parada, DeLeo and yes MGJr (who's doing quite well) as is Grenkoski.
Anderson is getting some reps which is good too.
Otherwise the only other one playing some on the mound is Dawson Brown.

Yes, the lab is new, but it takes time. Pitching is more about mechanical tweaks than overhauls (those take a lot longer and are harder to get to stick).
You gotta work with what you got and tweak from there and it just takes time. I'm not sure what they did prior to the Lab.
The tweaking takes time and confidence in the tweak, practice with said tweak and repetition....it just takes time.
Remember these guys are 18+ and have been pitching a certain way since 10U. So it takes time to tweak something they've done 1000s of throws with, the old way.
You don't open a lab and crank out updated pitching packages and confidence in days or weeks.

We're still one of the youngest teams in the country, which might not be fun this year, but will pay off with more time. We've got a Covid Clog like others, but not as bad, since we're not as heavy on the older classes. Multiple announcers have commented the same. 2019 didn't get much ACC experience and 2020 just got started....

1620044371635.png

Next year's class is HEAVY on pitching. And right on time it seems.
Losing Waddell and Wilhite is going to suck in the middle infield. That's a lot of Tenure and experience to lose up the middle.
So hopefully there is a plan and competition for those spots. Jayden and......

And like George Michael said... "You gotta have Faith" :)
Or is it "Karma is a 8itch, and sometimes she has puppies!"

1620044718255.png