Film Study - Offense vs UGA

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry. I know this is way late. I have just been way too busy lately to watch replays enough to make a decent report. Even though it is being served up cold, I figure it is still worth doing.

The UGA game for me illustrated just how important establishing the dive is to this offense. They couldn't stop it consistently, so we stuck with it, but more importantly, it made every other play in our arsenal better, because they really had to commit to the middle to survive.

The Humpers basically picked their poison from the beginning with an illadvised strategy if you ask me. Obviously, they were VERY concerned about the cut blocks and how to handle them on the interior. Although their defensive alignments were remeniscient of VTs( and many others )with the deep MLB and the OLBs jumping the A gap once in a while, their defensive front lined up a full yard off the LOS for all plays not on their goal line. This essentially made it 1st and 7 at the beginning of every series of downs instead of first and 10. Not only were they a yard back, but they appeared to be taking a more "read and react" type of posture, rather than firing off aggressively. To me, this showed how important the mere threat of the cut block can be, whether they were actually used that much or not. The net result was essentially a gain of 2 or 3, even on the plays where their guy defeated a block rather handily, which happened fairly often. Obviously, they would only use this tactic if they considered themselves to be physically superior and able to win battles despite conceding a yard per play. Either that or the thought we would just self destruct with mistakes before driving the field. Whatever the case, they got more than they bargained for from our guys up front. I don't want to say we flat out dominated them, because their guys won some of the battles. They are generally hard to block. But we did frustrate and confuse the crap out of them and wore them down with an extended series of body shots. I thought our execution was brilliant. I thought we threw a really good mix of blocking variations at them and kept them guessing. The biggest thing in my mind was we NEVER LET UP, we just kept coming and we broke their will. It was as simple as that. When it was goal line, we got lower than they did. We were obviously more powerful up front than they expected. That was plain to see. Additionally, they never really adjusted to the speed with which we hit the dive. They were always a bit slow to react. We ran dives to every gap and we ran a plethora of blast plays, unbalanced line dives, and plain old TO give reads. When they stacked a single side because we had run behind Mason 6 plays in a row, JT just called an audible to the opposite gap and we gashed them. Then, when they were all playing keying on the BB we hit them with the AB dive to great effect.

In summary, I don't think I have ever seen us execute a plan that well between the tackles EVER. Kudos to the whole group. The only player that I thought missed some assignments was Griffin. He blocked air a few times on plays that went nowhere, earning a spot on the bench for his efforts.

We blocked the perimeter very well, too. We have to give it up for the ABs, as they played one of their best games ever. They were just the counter punches on this day, carrying the ball, but they were relentless blocking too.

Despite intending to watch only the offensive series, I just had to watch "the kick" again and our OT series on defense. PRICELESS!!

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Boom, of all games this year, which game did we execute the cleanest? I know it may not be our highest output, but I have to feel Miami was up there.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boom, of all games this year, which game did we execute the cleanest? I know it may not be our highest output, but I have to feel Miami was up there.
Good question. One that I don't really have an answer for. At this point they are kind of all blending together. If you take away the fumbles, the UGA game was really really good, especially half 2. We dominated the most at NCST I would say. I haven't reviewed FSU yet though either.

What is really cool about the UGA game in particular, is the variety that we saw, all between the tackles. The casual fan may say our offense looks boring and we do the same thing repeatedly. That couldn't be further from the truth. I love watching the plays over and over because, when your are not following the ball, you can see all the neat stuff that is going on.

My favorite part of the UGA game is that, when the kick - OT happened, you could see they KNEW they weren't going to be stopping us. It was apparent in every player's body language out there. They had been beaten, got lucky and bailed out by their offense, relaxed, and then got the sad news they had to go back out on the field again. Just like in boxing, you can see whan a guy has had enough. The Leg Humpers had had enough. We stuck a fork in them and it was wonderful to see it happen that way, especially after how the series has gone for the last several years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for this. I love reading your analysis.

Something that worked well for us in Athens was the BB off tackle. I would be curious as to your thoughts as how this got set up so effectively. To this layman it appeared uga would become overly concerned about plays up the middle, our offensive line would then seal the defensive lineman off, sometimes even taking linebackers out of the play as a side benefit, and the secondary was too spread out, especially covering the pitch man, to fill the hole. Laskey, especially, had some runs where no one touched him for the first five or six yards or until he hit pay dirt.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Miami no interceptions or fumbles?

I loved how we played FSU. Not a perfect game, but a great offensive run against a good defense.
Yep, still hurts that we lost but not one thing that I think we could have done better. No team ever plays perfectly and we played with more than enough excellence to win that game. Unfortunately for us, FSU played this best game they have played since last season. No shame for us in that.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Before the season I picked GT to win 7, lose 2 with 3 tossups. (Hey, this is the way I do it.) This season will result in me picking for next season 8 wins 0 losses with 4 tossups. There is no one on the schedule GT cannot beat next season. Recall Ken Swilling, just before the 1990 season, declaring that there was no one on the schedule they could not beat. Same same next season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, by the middle of the third quarter they were beginning to look like they did when they played Florida: whipped enough that they were actually avoiding hits. This is extremely unusual for the Dwags; I was surprised, at first, to see an actual reluctance to be hit showing up again. So I watched the OL at work more closely and then I saw why.

Thanks again for these posts. You can learn a lot from them and I know they take a lot of effort.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank you for this. I love reading your analysis.

Something that worked well for us in Athens was the BB off tackle. I would be curious as to your thoughts as how this got set up so effectively. To this layman it appeared uga would become overly concerned about plays up the middle, our offensive line would then seal the defensive lineman off, sometimes even taking linebackers out of the play as a side benefit, and the secondary was too spread out, especially covering the pitch man, to fill the hole. Laskey, especially, had some runs where no one touched him for the first five or six yards or until he hit pay dirt.

I loved that play. After being left unblocked several plays in a row, suddenly the DE gets surprise hooked inside by our OT and the play side AB whacks the inside shoulder of the OLB who would have been the pitch key on a TO. It was set up perfectly.

I loved the unbalanced line BB blast dives we were running too. They look soo confused the first couple times they saw that alignment. Players were looking all over the place trying to figure out where to line up.

UGA was jumping around shifting pre snap hoping to mess our OLs assignments up and trick JT into running a play to the wrong side. We were solid making the adjustments. It is good film to watch.

I'll bet 3 out of 5 running plays on the day were right off Shaq's rear end. That guy carried us. It was no secret either. They just couldn't stop it.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any real X's or O's insights to add to Boomer's usual awesome write up but I did notice something interesting during the OT coin flip. Shaq Went out there by himself - JT was at the opening coin toss but not the OT coin toss. Anyone have an explanation for this? I thought it was fairly unusual for a captain not to be there.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any real X's or O's insights to add to Boomer's usual awesome write up but I did notice something interesting during the OT coin flip. Shaq Went out there by himself - JT was at the opening coin toss but not the OT coin toss. Anyone have an explanation for this? I thought it was fairly unusual for a captain not to be there.
Likely being talked to about the next series of plays by CPJ.