Film Study - Defense vs UVA

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on what you ask the DT to do. Even TJ Barnes at 350 wasn't able to do Groh's two-gap nonsense. A decisive one-gap scheme can be run by DT's at 275+ if they are quick enough.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish we had more details about what exactly JHD is doing on the scout team. We know from PJ he is playing great, but at what? Is he an inside guy? Is he a rush end? Maybe someone could pose the question on the radio show.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Neither of our starting DT's this year are as big as you're saying. Gotsis is 282 this year, was in the 270 range last year. Greene is 276 this year. There have been many a year when we've had a starting DT in the 270 range.

I'm not saying he should play DT, just saying that it isn't his size that would make it impossible at this point.
Agree been long time since we had hefty and strong defensive tackles.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
From what I heard, third hand from someone who knows a trainer (take it for what its worth) JHD is killing it at DT in practice. Our best Dlineman according to that 3rd hand opinion. I'd love to get some further info / clarification on this. CPJ probably isnt too inclined to provide lots of info on someone not currently playing. Wanted to bring this up again also. JHD should be eligible for our bowl. It will be a new semester by then.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Of course this is my personal opinion but I woudl draft at least seven to ten dl next year.We are palying well with what we have but the big teams are 20 lbs heavier on the OL and after a while it gets tuff to fight thru; them. Just give me the second team from lSU............

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
JHD already had a redshirt year. There's nothing left to burn. He's basically wasting a year of eligibility this season by being academically ineligible.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
@Eric,

Explain to me how this works for early enrollees? If they enroll in the spring semester, and then redshirt, how are they eligible for the bowl game in their senior years?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE, but if we're saying that JHD would be eligible because it's a new semester, wouldn't that mean they do?
Sorry, I screwed up my edit and didn't realize that my correction wasn't just a repost (hence my "nm")

The bowl games still belong to the the previous season, i.e. post season. The Spring Practice is part of the pre-season so the season being counted or not is the following one, whether or not they redshirt.

So, this post season is the post season of JHD's RS Jr year. He was not eligible to play in the fall of this season, but should be after the Fall; however, it's not a change in the year of eligibility. It's a change in the semester of academic eligibility.

Does that make sense?