Film Study - Defense vs UVA

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This was a pretty fun game to review for me because we tried a lot of different stuff during the game. It was refreshing to see us pressing a lot more in coverage and blitzing more too. Our back field guys showed they could indeed cover a little bit, especially when the guys up front disrupted the QB rhythm a little. I feel like we executed our blitz packages better this game than we had all year. We did it more often, but more importantly, we did it better. The timing of the delays and the stunts was really effective. We still have trouble getting pressure with 4 across, but at least with Gamble at DE we got a little push and at least gave the impression the pocket was evaporating.

In obvious passing situations we gave a different look to the front, pushing Gotsis out to DE ( in a 3 man front) with Freeman on the other side. Then we came with a variety of LB blitz packages that mixed things up a good bit. Sometimes we would come with 6, sometimes with 5, and on occasion, only 3. Gotsis is ineffective on the interior as a pass rusher, but on the edge he really looks the part. Freeman has a knack for getting angles on people and using his hands to get free. He is quick and he understands leverage. I just wish he was bigger and stronger. He makes a lot of plays and he influences a lot of plays. If he was big enough to bull rush, he would be the entire package.

On the interior, Green was getting the most doubles. He just battles and battles. Gamble made us better against the run with his size. He is 50 pounds bigger than the guys who have been playing. It is a noticeable difference.

We definitely played our best game, IMO, but we were lucky too. There were a lot of drops that could have sustained drives for them or even scored TDs. Maybe I am spoiled because our WRs tend to block with a lot of effort, but when I watched the UVA wideouts, they just went through the motions in that regard. They didn't deserve to run the ball any better, or get YACs with that kind of blocking effort outside. It is pretty safe to say UVA wasn't feeling it Saturday. They had the look of a disinterested or defeated offense. I have no idea what is going on in the huddle or the locker room with that team but I guarantee you it can't be good. So to summarize, we should be encouraged, but also not overly optimistic that we have made a quantum leap. In reality, we took some baby steps forward and we got some help too, from UVA and mother nature (wind). Still, this performance is something to build on. We simply will not have a dominating defense this year, but at least we gave the impression we are creating some cohesion and putting guys in positions that they have a chance to be more effective.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump Who do think is our best corner? From watching the game live it looks like we have a lot of speed at the corner spots, but we seem to fail to read the receiver routes and get ourselves out of position.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How much of a "fall off" would you expect from not being able to rotate Gamble in this week?

Sounds like Gotsis is a more natural DE than DT (I know we have no choice putting him at DT, but we will next year ;) ). Where do you think Gotsis should be next year?

Also, NCState looks like they may try to short pass us to death. Do you think we may have the answer in staying with a largely 3 man front? http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/490/passing/offense/gamelog.html

Finally as always, thanks.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Nice write up...kinda like my impression live....improvement is incremental. I do feel like we were more physical and aggressive overall though.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
How much of a "fall off" would you expect from not being able to rotate Gamble in this week?

Sounds like Gotsis is a more natural DE than DT (I know we have no choice putting him at DT, but we will next year ;) ). Where do you think Gotsis should be next year?

Also, NCState looks like they may try to short pass us to death. Do you think we may have the answer in staying with a largely 3 man front? http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/490/passing/offense/gamelog.html

Finally as always, thanks.
I wish we would have a choice with Gotsis, but I think our situation at DT next year will be no better than this year, and could be worse. We lose a starter in Greene who is obviously better than the backups (Gamble and Kallon) and maybe better than Gotsis. So we're down one guy, and our best one. For Gotsis to move, it would take not only replacing the depth lost from Greene but gaining another viable player at the position. Will we gain those viable players? It's possible but not likely - the 2 or 3 freshman DT's we'll hopefully have coming in are great pickups, but not even our best DT's in recent memory were able to even sniff the field as freshmen (Anoai, Richard, Walker, etc). Can Days play DT? Will Days even make the academic progress needed to get elligible? Huge questions that nobody can say they know the answer to. If you move Gotsis, you go from losing half your starters at that position to losing both your starters at a position that wasn't even a point of strength with them. What would it be without them?

I think the DE situation looks better next year without Gotsis having to move. We'll have Freeman back and better, Merriweather and Simmons with another year to be ready to contribute more, Whitehead will be a big addition, JHD could be another big addition, and of course you've got Stargel and Rook as well. And, there is a possibility we could add another impact DE in this year's recruiting class (hopefully Saint-Amour) ala Freeman last year. Next year that position looks pretty strong on paper, while DT still looks weak. But, as we saw last year, a lot can change in 9 months.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What jumped out at me was the observation about Virginia's mental state. One wonders if they were just hung over from their last defeat or if the team has given up for the season. I continually am struck by how volatile the Coastal is, not just because there are no dominant teams, but because teams seem to ride emotional roller coasters from week to week depending on who they played when in the schedule and how much emotional capital they have left.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would have a choice with Gotsis, but I think our situation at DT next year will be no better than this year, and could be worse. We lose a starter in Greene who is obviously better than the backups (Gamble and Kallon) and maybe better than Gotsis. So we're down one guy, and our best one. For Gotsis to move, it would take not only replacing the depth lost from Greene but gaining another viable player at the position. Will we gain those viable players? It's possible but not likely - the 2 or 3 freshman DT's we'll hopefully have coming in are great pickups, but not even our best DT's in recent memory were able to even sniff the field as freshmen (Anoai, Richard, Walker, etc). Can Days play DT? Will Days even make the academic progress needed to get elligible? Huge questions that nobody can say they know the answer to. If you move Gotsis, you go from losing half your starters at that position to losing both your starters at a position that wasn't even a point of strength with them. What would it be without them?

I think the DE situation looks better next year without Gotsis having to move. We'll have Freeman back and better, Merriweather and Simmons with another year to be ready to contribute more, Whitehead will be a big addition, JHD could be another big addition, and of course you've got Stargel and Rook as well. And, there is a possibility we could add another impact DE in this year's recruiting class (hopefully Saint-Amour) ala Freeman last year. Next year that position looks pretty strong on paper, while DT still looks weak. But, as we saw last year, a lot can change in 9 months.

Rumor is days will play dt. If he is good and kallon or gamble can make a jump; we may walk gotsis out but we have depth issues then and we all know freshman dts are not good depth. So then gotsis stays in imo and de is deeper so that makes sense.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the writeup, Boomer. I have been waiting for it. To me, the big story from last Saturday was we finally played a good defensive game. I don't care if Virginia was a great offensive team or not. We have been making every offense look good for the whole year. And we finally play a good game on defense. I thought there would be threads galore on all GT boards discussing that, and was amazed it was so muted.

I know we benefited from some drops of easy catches, but I think in a few instances we might have hurried the play just enough to at least partially cause the drop. Whatever we did, if we could put together a second one against N C State, my confidence level going into the two big ones would move way up.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they need to get Gary Brown to cross over and replace Green. Maybe Klock, too.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
@Boomergump How much of the defensive success against UVA came from our changes being a surprise to them? Will one game be enough tape for NCState to react/adjust to our changes and successfully scheme against what was working last week? Or will we dial up something a little different for the Wolfpack?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I know we benefited from some drops of easy catches, but I think in a few instances we might have hurried the play just enough to at least partially cause the drop. Whatever we did, if we could put together a second one against N C State, my confidence level going into the two big ones would move way up.

I liked the way our backs were making hits on receivers very soon after the arrival of the ball. I suspect that's part of the reason UVA's receivers were dropping easy catches—they were already thinking about the hit and how to evade it, rather than focusing on catching the ball first. I know good receivers are drilled not to let that happen, but if your bell gets rung a couple times in a row, sometimes survival instinct will trump the training.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think improvement at DE, especially in the pass rush, will make us remember how good Gotsis can be at DT. There are just no real answers for us this year on the DL. We can move guys all over the place, but "it is what it is." Next year will be better, and it better be, because that schedule... whew.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think improvement at DE, especially in the pass rush, will make us remember how good Gotsis can be at DT. There are just no real answers for us this year on the DL. We can move guys all over the place, but "it is what it is." Next year will be better, and it better be, because that schedule... whew.

I think one answer was putting Gamble at DE....i think had he not been injured (unreal isn't it?) that front 4 woulda looked better and better and by UGA we may be balling a bit. Not top 30 ballin, but consistently better top 45 stuff. There is some talent on that front 4. Gotsis had he been in the USA would have been a 3-4 star talent. Green was 4 star. Gamble 3 star. Freeman 3star. If you believe in rankings (BTW I don't) then it suggests these are talents. I look at their offer sheet then on field, and both of those say...solid talents...so we had somethign to work with. Youth and depth the biggest detractors, but that starting first 4 is ok. Not horrible.

It sucks this happened to GT and Gamble in game one ARGH.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JHDays, Gamble, Kallon, Gotsis, Whitehead, Freeman, Simmons, and Merriweather are your key DL players. What is your starting lineup next year giving a year of weight gain.

Put your best 4 on the field at one time? JHDays, Gotsis, Gamble, Freeman? I think coaches would play around with moving around JHDays, Gotsis, and gamble at SDE/DT to see what works the best.

Gotsis would make a great DE. The question is does he help more at DE or at DT given our current roster.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Do yall think we will use Freeman or Whitehead any at outside linebacker to try to get them both on the field in obvious passing situations?

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I liked the way our backs were making hits on receivers very soon after the arrival of the ball. I suspect that's part of the reason UVA's receivers were dropping easy catches—they were already thinking about the hit and how to evade it, rather than focusing on catching the ball first. I know good receivers are drilled not to let that happen, but if your bell gets rung a couple times in a row, sometimes survival instinct will trump the training.

Exactly!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The defense:
  • Was better at being more subtle in their intentions both in blitz and coverage
  • The random rush of 3, 4, 5, and 6 was excellent
  • The random coverage by DE and rush by LB was excellent
  • The QB was harried and hit a few times. This gets into the QB's mind even when not rushed
  • CB moved in and out to keep the QB guessing on press or cushion
  • The WR were hit or in close coverage most times. There were few wide open receptions in the flats.
  • Gamble was a big key and I wonder how we will do without him at DE.
This defense was not bend but don't break. This defense kept the offense guessing, which is what you need to do if you don't have the players to power through games.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
JHDays, Gamble, Kallon, Gotsis, Whitehead, Freeman, Simmons, and Merriweather are your key DL players. What is your starting lineup next year giving a year of weight gain.

Put your best 4 on the field at one time? JHDays, Gotsis, Gamble, Freeman? I think coaches would play around with moving around JHDays, Gotsis, and gamble at SDE/DT to see what works the best.

Gotsis would make a great DE. The question is does he help more at DE or at DT given our current roster.

The x factor is whether we've found a DL in this year's class to be able to contribute next year. I like the size we've got committed, and if another one or more pop then even better. We really need to sell out on Dline this recruiting cycle, we have the open ships to take some borderline kids. Your four best look pretty good to me, but I agree you've got to want Gotsis on the end.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
These kid's are not static. They grow, they learn, they mature and they can get better from one year to the next. That's why I flinch a little when I hear this year's performance being projected to next year's expectations. There are too many variables to do that. There's not a mathematical equation that can predict the future from one year to the next that applies to 18-20 year old's. It's where the coaches earn their money. How many freshmen do we have playing this year? There's more talent in the pipeline, and many of the players we have will be bigger, better and wiser.

It's not necessarily 'what it is'.