Filled with excitement (and a little nervousness)

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
After a mixed 2014 of highs and lows, my wife and I have decided five years was long enough to live so far away from family and friends. It is now time to move home. Pending a job offer, we will most likely be making the long trek from Anchorage back to Lilburn early this summer.

Things I'm excited about:
1. The thought of getting my kids (3 year old and 7 month old) closer to their grandparents
2. Being able to go to more than one football game per year. Taking the camper to tailgate is going to be awesome!
3. The cheaper cost of living
4. Better schools
5. BIGGER CHEAPER HOUSES!!!
6. No more dark winters!
7. No more negative temps!
8. A/C!

Things I'm not so excited about:
1. Leaving the friends we have made in AK
2. Helping my wife find a job because she doesn't want to teach anymore. She has been a punching bag for faculty and parents for too long. The good teachers are punished for being good while mediocrity is encouraged.
3. Taking a pay cut associated with living at a lower market level
4. Leaving the AK summers with 20+ hours of daylight.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Good luck and when appropriate, welcome back to Georgia.

Don't forget not to be too excited about traffic. ;)
Yeah, people up here have no idea what real traffic is like... Someone was complaining the other day to me about it, just because you are at a red light for ten minutes doesn't mean your stuck in traffic. I'm going to have to get use to longer than 15 minute commutes.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good luck from me as well. Just a thought - maybe your wife would want to consider tutoring (both in person and online). At least she can pick her clients then!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Good luck! I know this is late - but I actually grew up in Lilburn - was back there a few weeks ago visiting my parents and it has actually changed a lot!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Just an update, I have had many phone interviews and have come up dry on a bunch (as expected). Even still, we have decided to put our house up on the market and get the ball rolling on that end. That will still give me about two months to land a job. If not, we will be moving back to Lilburn with no job. One issue that I have found is that my current location is a big deterrent for companies in GA. If I haven't found a job by the time we are back in GA, I might fare a little better being close to the hiring location.

Good luck from me as well. Just a thought - maybe your wife would want to consider tutoring (both in person and online). At least she can pick her clients then!
Thanks, she is actually considering that. She is a high school special education teacher, so she has a wide variety of experience in the education field. I don't think it will be too tough fore her to find something.

Good luck! I know this is late - but I actually grew up in Lilburn - was back there a few weeks ago visiting my parents and it has actually changed a lot!
I can believe it, every time we visit it looks completely different. And for my parent's neighborhood, that is not for the good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Best wishes!

Having moved all over the country I am extremely skeptical of those stories that rate the best places to live in America. The best place to live is the best place for you to live. Most objective comparisons simply reveal a series of trade offs between one place and another. It also tends to make a difference what one's income bracket is.

So if Georgia is where you want to be then it is absolutely the right place for you to be and you will love calling it home. Mazel tov!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
One other thing you can look forward to in GA is not having to walk outside when you have to answer the call at 4am. I watch that show where folks are trying to pick which home in Alaska they want to buy and they all have outdoor outhouses. Yikes!

Congrats on moving back east. I spent a couple years in the South Pacific and as much as I enjoyed it I could not get back to the Eastern Time Zone fast enough.

Things will work out for you and your family - faith and hard work will move continents.

ptjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Don't get to excited about the Lilburn area either. Don't know how long you have been gone but you may want to look at other areas. If you want more info send me a PM