FEI stats

Jmonty71

Banned
This about sums things up

Offense rank 50
Defense rank 45
ST rank 106

All that leads to an aggravating season. Where is the silver lining?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Looks about right. That is very similar to our recruiting rankings over the past few years. Special teams, however, is just an absolute nightmare (with exception to Harvin).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This about sums things up

Offense rank 50
Defense rank 45
ST rank 106

All that leads to an aggravating season. Where is the silver lining?

Defense is improving dramatically from the last several years. O is slipping dramatically from the last several years. ST is a straight up dumpster fire. It's what I've been trying to tell you every time you blame the D.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Defense is improving dramatically from the last several years. O is slipping dramatically from the last several years. ST is a straight up dumpster fire. It's what I've been trying to tell you every time you blame the D.
I think the O is unfortunately looking a lot like a navy year when they are between decent throwers. We all knew marshall was not the strongest passer, unfortunatley UVA was that one game a year that we needed to win with the arm of the qb and marshall missed many open receivers. ( can't protect either but we run a run and shoot several of marshall's sacks were things he had plenty of time to hit the primary read and he just didn't pull the trigger)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think the O is unfortunately looking a lot like a navy year when they are between decent throwers. We all knew marshall was not the strongest passer, unfortunatley UVA was that one game a year that we needed to win with the arm of the qb and marshall missed many open receivers. ( can't protect either but we run a run and shoot several of marshall's sacks were things he had plenty of time to hit the primary read and he just didn't pull the trigger)

Early in the season, Marshall was hitting on a lot of these throws. Through the first 4 games, he was greater than or equal to 50% every game in his passing, which is about where a successful GT QB generally is. He was 45.5% for the Wake game, which is low, but serviceable. His three bad games are Miami (37.5), Clemson, (23.1), and UVA (27.3). All three of these were on the road and in the rain.

I can excuse the Clemson result somewhat as our line was generally dominated and he rarely had time to progress past the first read. UVA and Miami are different stories altogether.

But all that being said, I'm not quite ready to throw him under the bus just yet. He's a first year starter at QB, and first year starters at QB, in any system, usually struggle. We just got spoiled with JeT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the announcers mentioned it during one of the recent rain games. Smaller QBs have smaller hands which makes it more difficult to get a good grip on the ball, especially in the rain.

That being said, I suspect that we also have OL playing hurt in addition to the OL who can't play because of injury.

For whatever reason, our team just isn't that good for the last few games. I think our D is much improved but then we allow a few drives where we look as soft as in years past and give up an easy score.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The D has been giving us what we've been BEGGING for since forever: Give our offense a few more possessions a game. Unfortunately, our offense hasn't been taking advantage of those possessions.

If you would have told me our defensive FEI 9 games into the season would be 45, I would have told you we're probably going to play for the ACC Championship. Our offense simply has not made the most of possessions like we have in the past. Our defense does have momentary lapses at the wrong moments (see: opponents last drives), but they are doing exactly what we wanted them to do all these years. Getting our offense more possesions.

BOTH sides need to do a better job, but our defense has definitely improved to the point where if our offense is performing like we expect it should, we're probably a 7-1 team right now.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just late in the game. We had chances to win. The D failed to hold all 3 times. There has to be some blame there. Now, the issue is.... We should not of had our D in that position. I get that. I get that lots of issues, lead up to that final possession. But, it sure would feel nice to see the D, be the heroes and just make that final stop, to win the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just late in the game. We had chances to win. The D failed to hold all 3 times. There has to be some blame there. Now, the issue is.... We should not of had our D in that position. I get that. I get that lots of issues, lead up to that final possession. But, it sure would feel nice to see the D, be the heroes and just make that final stop, to win the game.

Our current D has met every metric you griped about last year, so now you move the goal post and require that they make every late game stop, even when the O keeps putting them back on the field. I think if we lost to Duke 2-0, you would complain that the D didn't score a TD.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't go so far as saying that our D has given us everything we've asked for, but I agree that it's given enough that I'd figure we'd have won the d'oh U and Miami games.

I'm hoping that our problems on O stem from lingering hurts and the rain. Go Jackets

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wouldn't go so far as saying that our D has given us everything we've asked for, but I agree that it's given enough that I'd figure we'd have won the d'oh U and Miami games.

I'm hoping that our problems on O stem from lingering hurts and the rain. Go Jackets

We asked to be in the upper 3rd of Ds. We are there.
We asked for more 3rd down stops. We're top 10 in that stat.
We asked for more TOs. We're getting them.
We asked for more Three and Outs. We're getting them.
We asked for a pass rush. This one is the most debatable, but we're getting more pressure than in years past, and it's beginning to show.

Mainly, the argument is that if we just had a competent D, we'd be fine. If we could just get a couple of stops a game, Our O could win most games. My point all season has been CTR has this D trending in a very positive direction. Sure, there are metrics that still need work, but we asked for marked improvement this year on D, and we're getting it. Yet, we still blame the D. And mainly, it's the same people over and over who absolutely refuse to credit the job CTR is doing to make these improvements, in spite of the fact that our O keeps putting them in horrible positions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We asked to be in the upper 3rd of Ds. We are there.
We asked for more 3rd down stops. We're top 10 in that stat.
We asked for more TOs. We're getting them.
We asked for more Three and Outs. We're getting them.
We asked for a pass rush. This one is the most debatable, but we're getting more pressure than in years past, and it's beginning to show.

Mainly, the argument is that if we just had a competent D, we'd be fine. If we could just get a couple of stops a game, Our O could win most games. My point all season has been CTR has this D trending in a very positive direction. Sure, there are metrics that still need work, but we asked for marked improvement this year on D, and we're getting it. Yet, we still blame the D. And mainly, it's the same people over and over who absolutely refuse to credit the job CTR is doing to make these improvements, in spite of the fact that our O keeps putting them in horrible positions.

Wow. This post need not be directed at me. I agreed that we had improved on D and that I would've expected us to have won 2 of the 3 games we lost with the improvement we've seen on D.

Still, just because I agree that we can't just blame the D this year as in year's past, I don't think we should say that our D is playing as well as we should expect. Being good on 3rd down is great, except when we're giving up 70+ yd touchdown drives without getting the opponent to 3rd down.

We also need to recognize that our Offense is not as good as when we made those predictions. Apart from 2014, we have not had the efficiency on offense for the last few years that we had with Tevin and the first two years of Nesbitt. We looked like we were going to be okay this year, but the last few weeks have been not good.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Early in the season, Marshall was hitting on a lot of these throws. Through the first 4 games, he was greater than or equal to 50% every game in his passing, which is about where a successful GT QB generally is. He was 45.5% for the Wake game, which is low, but serviceable. His three bad games are Miami (37.5), Clemson, (23.1), and UVA (27.3). All three of these were on the road and in the rain.

I can excuse the Clemson result somewhat as our line was generally dominated and he rarely had time to progress past the first read. UVA and Miami are different stories altogether.

But all that being said, I'm not quite ready to throw him under the bus just yet. He's a first year starter at QB, and first year starters at QB, in any system, usually struggle. We just got spoiled with JeT.

Marshall was missing throws in those games too, we just weren't throwing it much or needing to throw. Marshall missed a wide open deep ball to juene in the JSU game, he missed a wide open searcy at the end of the tenn game, and again in the pitt game. He's had several missed reads on option routes even when completing passes. He just looks like a first year QB in this system. Honestly he looks a lot like Nesbitt did. The difference is Nesbitt had Bey Bey to bail him out on overthrows and underthrows.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wow. This post need not be directed at me. I agreed that we had improved on D and that I would've expected us to have won 2 of the 3 games we lost with the improvement we've seen on D.

Still, just because I agree that we can't just blame the D this year as in year's past, I don't think we should say that our D is playing as well as we should expect. Being good on 3rd down is great, except when we're giving up 70+ yd touchdown drives without getting the opponent to 3rd down.

We also need to recognize that our Offense is not as good as when we made those predictions. Apart from 2014, we have not had the efficiency on offense for the last few years that we had with Tevin and the first two years of Nesbitt. We looked like we were going to be okay this year, but the last few weeks have been not good.

Sorry if it came across as directed at you. I was simply replying to your post because I feel as if we keep moving the goal posts on this issue. When you say: "Being good on 3rd down is great, except when we're giving up 70+ yd touchdown drives without getting the opponent to 3rd down," that's an oversimplification. Sure, we've given up a few drives, but in many/most cases, those drives have been after our O has continuously failed to sustain a drive of their own and keep putting the D back on the field with short rests. On the whole, we are producing a lot of three and outs, or forcing punts/TOs as compared to years past. While we are not a great D, we are playing well on D. Well enough that we should be 7-1 right now. Even the UT loss hangs more on ST failures than D. I generally agree with you, as you rely on advanced stats and metrics to make your points, but on this, I think we need to focus on fixing what is killing us, and give a little grace to the ONE unit on our team that is showing marked improvement.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Marshall was missing throws in those games too, we just weren't throwing it much or needing to throw. Marshall missed a wide open deep ball to juene in the JSU game, he missed a wide open searcy at the end of the tenn game, and again in the pitt game. He's had several missed reads on option routes even when completing passes. He just looks like a first year QB in this system. Honestly he looks a lot like Nesbitt did. The difference is Nesbitt had Bey Bey to bail him out on overthrows and underthrows.

Interesting fact: If TQM had kept up his pace on completion % from his first 4 games, he'd be sitting on perhaps the best season a CPJ QB has had at GT. The Best was 2012 TW with 56.4% , while through the first 4 games TQM had 57.5%. For as much as we credit Nesbitt, his best season, 2009, was only 46.3% on completions. So while, yes, TQM has missed some throws, he hasn't been missing a ton more than in most GT seasons.

Only three times under CPJ has the starting QB finished over 50%, 2012, 2014, &2016. If we keep the pattern, we're in for an awesome 2018.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not this school year :whistle: Sure did lose in basketball, but that was just to make expectations easier to exceed. Baseball we did better till we got to the good teams :cautious:

My post was a bit tongue in cheek since I just hope we make the NCAAs in both those sports this year.

Pretty sure this was just few days ago...

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/102817aab.html

I can honestly say I haven't followed basketball much over the years. I'm kind of a fair weather fan with the sport. I'll follow loosely if GT gives me something to get excited about, but generally I'm just getting the scores on ESPN. Baseball is harder to follow here in the Augusta area. I'm almost entirely dependent on after the fact updates via the GT gameday app. But yeah, I got that your post was tongue-in-cheek, I was just prodding back. ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure this was just few days ago...

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/102817aab.html

I can honestly say I haven't followed basketball much over the years. I'm kind of a fair weather fan with the sport. I'll follow loosely if GT gives me something to get excited about, but generally I'm just getting the scores on ESPN. Baseball is harder to follow here in the Augusta area. I'm almost entirely dependent on after the fact updates via the GT gameday app. But yeah, I got that your post was tongue-in-cheek, I was just prodding back. ;)

This basketball team is fun to watch. You should tune in. We actually know how to inbound the ball, make more than 2 or 3 passes before someone takes a shot, our offensive sets look like they've been practiced, our players actually show fundamentals, and our coaches actually know how to develop players to their system and as individual players.

Caveat: 2 of our top 3 players will be suspended for a bit until the NCAA comes down with punishment. You'll have to read the thread in the basketball section about why they're suspended...a little bit of Fatal Attraction going on there...