FEI ratings

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Was glancing at the FEI ratings and noticed that they seem to have changed the way they calculate the numbers. Georgia Tech now second behind Oregon in 2014 offensive ratings. At the end of last year, we had the highest efficiency ratings in the history of their calculations. The new calculations only apply to 2014 and 2015 so no comparison can be made for the previous years. What gives?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff2014

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Still #1 in First Down Rate, the percentage of offensive drives that result in at least one first down or touchdown.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was glancing at the FEI ratings and noticed that they seem to have changed the way they calculate the numbers. Georgia Tech now second behind Oregon in 2014 offensive ratings. At the end of last year, we had the highest efficiency ratings in the history of their calculations. The new calculations only apply to 2014 and 2015 so no comparison can be made for the previous years. What gives?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff2014

I think Football Outsiders continually upgrades their methodologies. So they may have changed their methodology. I don't think they bring in previous years performance for the FEI ratings.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Football Outsiders continually upgrades their methodologies. So they may have changed their methodology. I don't think they bring in previous years performance for the FEI ratings.

Last year no longer contributes after week 7. However, his point was that last year's end of year ranking changed, if you missed it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The interesting about these rankings for me was to contrast 2014 and 2015 not just for Tech, but for other teams in the top 20 in 2014.

Here's how the top 10 from 2014 compared to their 2015 ranks:

Team 2014 2015

Oregon 1 8

Tech 2 84

OSU 3 26

Ugag 4 64

Awbun 5 40

W. Kentucky 6 1

Baylor 7 11

Bammer 8 29

Marshall 9 91

USCe 10 53

Or, to put it another way, Oregon, Directional Kentucky, and Baylor didn't have much a fall off and everyone else dropped like a stone. We are not alone, iow.
Update: Couldn't get the spacing on the table right. Again.

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I think we're the only one with a major drop off that didn't lose their QB. I guess OSU's was pretty big but still smaller than us, UGA, USCe, Marshall, and Auburn.

slugboy

Staff member
Just looking at S&P rankings at FootballOutsiders. We were 59th at 29.6 on Offense in 2015, and in 2014 we were 3rd at 45.5.
On defense, we were 69th at 27.8 in 2015, and 54th at 26.7 in 2015 (lower is better).

Last year, we were mediocre on defense and fantastic on offense. This year, we were mediocre at both. At UNC we lost Gostis, and then later we lost him for the year, and that could have made the difference on defense and won another game or two.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Sports analytics is becoming somewhat of "new industry", I think. My daughter's beau (an IE), who's graduating in the spring with her, is trying to get hired by one of these companies here in ATL. There are more than one of analytics companies are recruiting GT IE's, I understand. I think by changing their methodologies, they are trying to bring something "new and fresh" to the market.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Furman Bisher was the last Tech fan to work for a media outlet.
Don't know whether he was a Tech fan or a Dodd fan. But he sure did support the school in his opinion pieces which is okay. But it kind of slid over into some reporting, too, and that's not okay. Maybe Dodd had some effect on that. I'm told he could be charming.