FEI is now Updated at Football Outsiders

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes UNC has a good offense but when I have seen VT their offense is not bad. And we always have a problem with their defense (VT)

VTs O is inconsistent. Against our current D, it should be fairly efficient. UNCs O is really good. UVAs O is a work in progress. ugas O is a dumpster fire right now.

VTs D philosophy and style will always give us trouble. They consistently have some of the best, most physical CBs in the nation. It allows them to play on an island. They trust their CBs to go one on one with our WRs and bring the extra help into the box. It's similar to what Duke played last week. The difference is that we were consistently able to beat the Duke CBs.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC and VT on average have the same effectiveness on offense. The difference in D is very large. Both may score a lot, but how much can we score on them.

GT kept the bad offenses at bay (BC, Vandy, and Miami) with the expectations being GSU and Duke. Mobile QBs kills us. Pitt has a great offense and scored except when they made a mistake.

UNC we have to get pressure, mix up short and deep coverage, and hide them well...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Currently #73. Not sure that's on pace to be worse than 100 considering UNC is the last really good offense we will face this year.
ypp=#73
FEI=#109

The FEI is on pace to be the worst in CPJ's era. I suppose it is a matter of which stat you find most convincing (or which one supports your preconceived notions...for or against...Roof).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think there's a correlation here. We are not doing as well on D because the O is not taking as much time to score.

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, we are big-playing opponents to death this year, largely because we are passing the ball better. That means fewer death marches - we haven't had one since the Pitt game - and more time on the field for the D. We are still in a "close, but no cigar" mode over there. I was pleased at the Puke game at how often we hurried their QB and we even got 2 sacks. But … we were so close to a sack so many times in that game that I was one frustrated camper by the end. This has been a recurrent and depressing theme all year; there's nothing much wrong with the schemes, we just don't the horses to pull them off.

Result = bad D ratings that could be better if we held the ball on O more effectively. Problem = a) our O rating would probably go down with fewer big plays and b) I wouldn't get to watch us striking the other side with regularity (I love that).

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
VTs D philosophy and style will always give us trouble. They consistently have some of the best, most physical CBs in the nation. It allows them to play on an island. They trust their CBs to go one on one with our WRs and bring the extra help into the box. It's similar to what Duke played last week. The difference is that we were consistently able to beat the Duke CBs.

I like this post. Hadn't thought of that before but it does make sense. Usually VT has the better pass rush than Duke also, but not this year. Duke is 17th in team sacks and VT is 41st. For reference UNC is 60th. (BTW, GT is 122nd in sacks. Note that ND, Michigan St, and Cal are all ranked over 100th in team sacks and are having down years).

I like how Jeune and Stewart are competing for the ball in the air....using their bodies and flashing strong hands. We may be able to hit a big pass or two vs the Hokies. But let's hit a few against the Heels first!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For those who consider this metric a good way to gauge team's offensive performance, related to our discussion about Navy's offense in another thread, I noticed an interesting trend with them. How good of a job is Coach Ken doing at Navy? Let's take a look at their OFEI since 2008 (when he took over for CPJ):

2008 - 27
2009 - 28
2010 - 10
2011 - 9
2012 - 50
2013 - 17
2014 - 20
2015 - 1
2016* - 18

The average OFEI during that span (not including 2016 as the season is still in progress) is 20.25. GT's average during that time span is 30.88. Now if you take out the two extreme years (best & worst) out (which in statistical terms are "outliers"...Navy's #1 in 2015 and #50 in 2012), Navy's average is 18.5. GT's (#2 in 2009, #88 in 2015) is 26.17.

FYI...OFEI rankings go back only to 2007. In CPJ's last year at Navy in 2007, their OFEI was #2.

So what's the point? The point is, this is a VERY good offense.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
2011 and 2012 were the Tevin Washington years. CPJ said it in the last radio show, but it really is true. TW was a really good QB who doesn't get the credit he deserves (BTW, the record JeT broke last Saturday was held by TW). Had TW had a good defense he wins 9-10+ games those years.

2015...considering what happened, the D actually turned out to be CPJ's best according to those rankings.
Yep. Tevin got blamed for things that weren't his fault. He didn't have the natural talent of Justin Thomas, or Vad Lee, but he was far more talented than many (including me) gave him credit for at the time. If you go back and look, he probably should have had wins in 2010 against UGA, 2011 against Virginia Tech and Utah (which would have gotten us to 10 wins), 2012 against Virginia Tech, Miami, MTSU, and arguably Clemson (which would have given him 11 wins).

I am really happy Johnson found a place for him on his staff.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
ypp=#73
FEI=#109

The FEI is on pace to be the worst in CPJ's era. I suppose it is a matter of which stat you find most convincing (or which one supports your preconceived notions...for or against...Roof).

Yeah. The post right above the one Wast talking about us being #73 in YPP. I mistakenly thought that's what the poster was referring to as the post he replied to didn't contain 2016 stats.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Tevin got blamed for things that weren't his fault. He didn't have the natural talent of Justin Thomas, or Vad Lee, but he was far more talented than many (including me) gave him credit for at the time. If you go back and look, he probably should have had wins in 2010 against UGA, 2011 against Virginia Tech and Utah (which would have gotten us to 10 wins), 2012 against Virginia Tech, Miami, MTSU, and arguably Clemson (which would have given him 11 wins).

I am really happy Johnson found a place for him on his staff.

yep, the "give-up" at vt by Def at the end really screwed TW.He had such a good game in that ,even passing.