Favorite sport cliches?

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
This is showing my age but when Jeff Hullinger was a local sports caster he kept a running count on the number of cliches used by Chipper Jones in post game interviews. Every day he would show the latest and it really got comical as the number grew during the season.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I was the PA Announcer at my son's middle school game and called the following play. "Smith scampered around the right side for five yards. " All of the Moms looked up and asked what does "scamper" mean? When you think about it- what does scamper mean? All I can say is you know it when you see it.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
"Their going 'tempo' now." Or, "their offense is going with some tempo now." (where 'tempo' is intended to mean they are 'speeding' up the offense. But in fact, 'tempo' can certainly mean fast or slow. "going tempo' is like saying 'there is 'weather' in the area.' (there is always 'weather' of some kind but that phrase usually means 'bad' weather.

slugboy

Staff member
I was the PA Announcer at my son's middle school game and called the following play. "Smith scampered around the right side for five yards. " All of the Moms looked up and asked what does "scamper" mean? When you think about it- what does scamper mean? All I can say is you know it when you see it.
Merriam-Webster's definition of "scamper"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scamper

Definition (Entry 1 of 2)​

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That’s definitely old school. Anyone remember when smaller running backs were called “scat backs?”

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s definitely old school. Anyone remember when smaller running backs were called “scat backs?”
Yes, I remember. The Western Carolina Catamounts called this player, "THE CAT BACK." Under Coach Bud Carson, Tech's defense featured two defensive positions appropriately named ," THE WRECKER" and "THE STINGER." But my all time favorite was the featured defensive player in the 70s for the Michigan Wolverines who was called, "THE WOLFMAN."