Favorite GT vs ND moment?

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Since I've been alive we've only beaten ND once (2007) and I was a infant so I have no recollection of it. BUT I do know that the series goes back a long time, and even though Tech is 6-30-1 vs the Irish, there's been some great wins, and many memorable losses, and of course that CRAZY tie in 1980.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Whipping their *** in South Bend for what at the time was the worst home loss in Notre Dame history (while I was in attendance, no less) is easily the highest of the highs. Watching Joe beat them in the Gator Bowl was the next best.

The 2006 game was probably one of the best football games I’ve ever ever attended. Atmosphere was incredible. Hard fought defensive game. Just didn’t pull through.

Let’s hope Saturday beats all these.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tech won the only ND/GT game I've been to, the '99 Gator bowl. Had a part-time receiver named Mike Sheridan, no speed but great hands and seemed always able get open for a clutch 1st down catch when the Jackets really needed it. Made his first and only TD catch of the season that New Year's Day, which was sunny and warm in Jacksonville. IIRC it was the first college game I went to where you could buy a beer. ND wore their green jerseys.

1728952555380.png

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
The tie in 1980 was incredible. That was my senior year, and in my mind the student section did not sit down for the entire game.

I was also at the 1999 Gator Bowl win which was also great.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
It was a loss, but the 2006 night game in BDS when Calvin Johnson really introduced himself to the country was something pretty special.
the crowd for that game was electric and I wish I was old enough to have gone but I was like 3 months old at the time.

I mean just look... 56,800 jammed into the place.

1728995969445.png

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Favorite GT-ND moment was the fish toss. I didn't want to carp about it because GT really floundered, but holy mackeral the whole ND sideline smelt like bass.
I was at the game on Nov 15, 1969 against #9 Notre Dame, possibly the first fish tossing. Tech QB's Jack Williams and Charlie Dudish, RB Brent Cuningham and All American DT Rock Perdoni vs ND QB Joe Theisman and All American DT Mike McCoy. A great game with ND over GT 38-20. I could not tell the type of fish that pelted Coach Ara Parseghian and the Notre Dame bench from the upper east stands, but that started a fish-throwing trend at Grant field that continued at least through 2015, according to the ND fan forum https://forum.uhnd.com/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=6&msgid=288251&archive=1 . One ND fan stated "They were throwing fish for the derogatory name calling of Catholics, "Mackrel Snappers"." Historically, there has been no love between ND and GT fans and athletes. The football team was in the stands when we beat Coach Digger Phelp's 1972 basketball team 82-62, but no fish were thrown on the court. But we did have fish thrown at us when we played at Pittsburgh. Can you imagine how a fan's hands smelled after bring a dead fish to the game?