Favorite GT ACC Tournament memory? Let's reminisce before this week goes down.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Tech has been in the ACC for over 40 years now. We've won four ACC titles (85, 90, 93, 21)

What's your favorite ACC Tourney memory? It DOES NOT have to be us winning it all, although our win in 2021 is definitely my favorite. However, if you have a certain game or moment that you love in particular, share it here as well!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The only ACCT game I've attended was the 18 point comeback win over Clemson in 2016 in DC, so that's memorable. Unfortunately partially for the wrong reasons as I found out while circling the ramps of the Verizon Center that my grandmother passed towards the end of the game. The thing I remember the most from this game was all the fans of different ACC teams pulling for GT to make/finish the comeback. The overwhelming support gave us a huge boost in energy.

Other favorite memory is our win over Duke on March 16, 2024 ;)

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the 90 tournament so that one :). That was one of the last perfect tournaments. 3 days with 8 teams as god intended. First final to every have 2 non-NC teams and good guys win.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
The only ACCT game I've attended was the 18 point comeback win over Clemson in 2016 in DC, so that's memorable. Unfortunately partially for the wrong reasons as I found out while circling the ramps of the Verizon Center that my grandmother passed towards the end of the game. The thing I remember the most from this game was all the fans of different ACC teams pulling for GT to make/finish the comeback. The overwhelming support gave us a huge boost in energy.

Other favorite memory is our win over Duke on March 16, 2024 ;)
I remember that game. We also had a 14 point comeback over Clemson at McCamish earlier in the year which I was at.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The 1985 team with Price, Sally, Ferrell, etc in Atlanta. We were down to 7 players total in the championship game. I think Joseph may have also been on that team along with Dalrymple(sp?). Bench player Pettus ? had to contribute as a sub and he did. I will never forget that tournament. Smith (UNC) Valvano (NCSU) K (Duke) were in their prime. Price was ACCT MVP.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
The 1985 team with Price, Sally, Ferrell, etc in Atlanta. We were down to 7 players total in the championship game. I think Joseph may have also been on that team along with Dalrymple(sp?). Bench player Pettus ? had to contribute as a sub and he did. I will never forget that tournament. Smith (UNC) Valvano (NCSU) K (Duke) were in their prime. Price was ACCT MVP.
Ditto! Scott Pettway. Saw this in person at the Omni as a kid with my dad.
Tech tied for 1st place in regular season with NC & State. Tech seeded #1 in tourney.Think Ferrell was injured & only played a little in the 1st game vs UVA. After Ferrell was out, Price, Salley, Dalrymple, Joseph, Petway played almost 40 min each game.Think Antoine Ford, Jack Mansell, John Martinson all played maybe a couple minutes each game. Think Martinson was a walking?

Beat Unc for the 3rd time that year to take the ship. Very close game & crowd was wild. Remember the Bruuuuce cheers for Dalrymple. That was an amazing GT team & tourney! Had no voice after that UNC game.

Still have the thin gold line tee with all their signatures.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Scott Petway. Saw this in person at the Omni as a kid with my dad.
Tech tied for 1st place in regular season with NC & State. Tech seeded #1 in tourney.Think Ferrell was injured & only played a little in the 1st game vs UVA. After Ferrell was out, Price, Salley, Dalrymple, Joseph, Petway played almost 40 min each game.Think Antoine Ford, Jack Mansell, John Martinson all played maybe a couple minutes each game. Think Martinson was a walking?

Beat Unc for the 3rd time that year to take the ship. Very close game & crowd was wild. Remember the Bruuuuce cheers for Dalrymple. That was an amazing GT team & tourney! Had no voice after that UNC game.
I went to every tournament game that year at the Omni. All of them. I forgot Petway name but was close. Bobby said some time after that game he told Petway it was time for him to earn his scholarship and he came through. He played very well. Ferrell was a freshman and if I member correctly he took a fall that caused his injury. That team may have been the most talented overall of any Tech team in history.
One thing I remember is that Dean Smith kept his team on the bench to watch the championship award ceremony. Motivation??

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, this was #2 for me behind James Forrest's takeover.
That was an insane individual domination. It's not talked about much because Childress went nuts a couple years later to take the scoring title away.

Even more crazy is that same tech team managed to lose to 13 seed Southern in the first round.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
IMG_0891.jpg

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching on TV - The first ACC title in 85

In person - I was at the 21 Championship in Greensboro - and I will never forget the look of happiness on Jose Alvarado's face as he lay on the floor celebrating.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta agree with the the '85 tournament championship. Just wish they had a 3 point line back then. Price would have been even more dominant. Always loved Yvon Joseph. He had a nice little midrange jumper and was a dominant force under the basket. We could sure use someone like him on our team this year.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
1985 title game in the Omni! Beat UNC three times that year. Sat in the upper deck with my brother, my Dad gave one of us his seat and watched at the Varsity!