Favorite COFH win/moment?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
As a youngin, I happily say that our three wins in 08, 14, and 16 are the three greatest days I’ve ever lived. However to choose a favorite I’ve gotta say 2014 because we overcame so much adversity in that game.

I know there’s plenty of old timers on this forum with some crazy stories of this rivalry, so… let’s hear them!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
2008 with Roddy running insane might be my favorite. 2014 is certainly up there but I'm still pissed at that game because we were by far the better team and it shouldn't have even been that close. 14 point swing on the refs ridiculous refusal to call forward progress stopped after 3+ seconds of going nowhere still pisses me off to this day even though we won

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
As a youngin, I happily say that our three wins in 08, 14, and 16 are the three greatest days I’ve ever lived. However to choose a favorite I’ve gotta say 2014 because we overcame so much adversity in that game.

I know there’s plenty of old timers on this forum with some crazy stories of this rivalry, so… let’s hear them!
The 6-0 game in '69 was a classic. Bud Carson was the HC, not a good one, but a defensive guru, the one who went on from Tech to craft the "Steel Curtain" defense that helped win 4 Super Bowls with the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970's.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t follow football until my freshman year at Tech (2002) so I missed the 1998-2000 run…

It’s 2008 for me. Down 16 at half time and going 26-0 in the 3rd quarter and then hanging on for the win in the cesspool.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
2000 with Goose was my first ever GT game. My uncle and cousins (all dawgs) took me and I sat in white/gold amongst a see of red/black. They all told me I’d be a dawg fan by the end of the day. I was 13.

Anyway we were up 21-3 at half. My uncle left late in the 2nd quarter to go cuss at Donnan as he came to the the tunnel. I sat with my cousins the rest of that game and had a glorious walk back to our tailgate. When we got back my uncle was drunken then cooter brown and my 15 year old cousin drove us home.

2008 was a great win, and greater because I was 21 and prime partying age. To say we burnt the city of Athens down that night would be an understatement.

14 and 16 were great as well. I think 16 is the only GT game my wife has ever been to that we won. (She’s like 1-10; thanks Geoff).

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow

1974 in Athens with miserable weather. Pepper Rodgers first year as head coach and we dominated them with the wishbone. Very little red in the stands at the end of the game.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
I've just been a fan since 2015 when I stepped on campus so our only win since then (😒) is my answer by default. It was a great game, and the image of Searcy's leap over the goal line will always be seared into my mind.

I remember at the time the sentiment in our fanbase and amongst local journalists that there had been a shift in the rivalry and perhaps our programs' respective trajectories. For us, the 2016 win in a way validated the 2014 win and solidified that the 2015 season was a fluke. Even with the upcoming departure of Justin Thomas, we could feel good that we were heading in the right direction and 8 wins was a reasonable expectation year in and year out. For uga, Kirby had disappointed year 1 and there were already people asking whether he was the right guy for the job. Maybe they made a mistake running Richt out of town and would slip into a period of mediocrity like 2000s Michigan or 2010s Tennessee.

Of course now that's all ancient history....

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
2014. Most nerve wracking game ever

2006 and 2007 we were absolutely robbed
We blew it ourselves in 2007, IIRC, but there were two bad calls that had a direct effect on the outcome. One was that PI call on Morgan Burnett that set up one TD. It was garbage. Also, (Mikey?) Henderson's punt fumble into the EZ that was called a muff was highly questionable. It went through his arms, then bounced back and hit his leg before caroming into the EZ with GT recovering. I was in the upper west then and it happened right in front of us. IMPO, the through the arms thing was a muff, but the subsequent bounce off the leg did not qualify as a muff. Then Burnett had the pick-6 and was stripped as he approached the EZ. That's 3 TD on questionable calls/circumstances in a 2 TD win by the mutts. Deep sigh.

2006 was the worst of the two though. I had at one time a photo of the linesman signaling 4th down before the mutt LB wrestled the ball free and ran for the TD. The knucklehead then didn't speak up and tell the truth in the following confab over what had happened. Our guys didn't even chase him they were so sure it was called down. But we shot ourselves in the foot there, too, with the false start on the 2-yard line on 3rd and goal. Just infuriating.

However, does anyone remember 2005? A 7-7 game when we punted late and a clear block in the back was missed allowing about a 40-yard punt return setting up their winning TD. Then we ran it the length of the field to their 10 as time was expiring. They were gassed on D, but CCG called a quick out and Ball delivered the ball right into the mutt DB's numbers. Deep sigh again.

In 2008 we won. In 2009 DT drops the potential game winner on their 10-yard-line. In 2010 we were winning but the fumble was recovered by their LB whose foot was OOB. 2011 and 12 were not close, but 2013 was the OT loss when we had a 20-point lead. 2014 we won in OT. 2015 was a 1 TD game where we couldn't move the ball. 2016 we won at the end. Those years - 2004 through 2016 were mostly all very competitive games.

We need to get back to that.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
1984,,, In Athens,,,, 35-18 victory! Dwags were 18th ranked,,, A Ga buddy of mine convinced me to go with him to witness a “for sure” victory for his team! I was among the few dressed in white & gold among a sea of red & black! It was one of those rare games where every bounce went our way!!! We went to some Ga bar afterwards & I celebrated with the few Tech fans that were there!
Unforgettable good time, with a depressed buddy!!