Faulty Foul Pole

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok. I have to believe a forum such as this with a significant percentage of engineering/technical/mathematical minded folks would lend itself to appreciating this sort of observation.

See photo below. The foul poles at the Louisville Bats minor league park have a design that, simply put, is NOT in compliance with the rules. The shape of the pole is like that of an extended telescope with the fat part at the bottom & it incrementally gets skinnier as you go up.

As you can see from the photo, it appears (with the naked eye) the bottom (widest) part of the pole is "ok". The outer edge of the pole it line up with the outer edge of the foul line. Moving up, the next section's outer edge is 1-1.5 inches "inside" fair territory.

The impact? Any ball that hits anywhere on the pole is still fair. That's good. However, at the top section of the pole... A ball that misses the pole "foul" by up to 4-5 inches (my estimation) would hit a "properly designed" pole and be a HR. Yes, that same ball at this park would miss this one & just be a strike. EGREGIOUS!!

IMG_3460.JPG

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok. I have to believe a forum such as this with a significant percentage of engineering/technical/mathematical minded folks would lend itself to appreciating this sort of observation.

See photo below. The foul poles at the Louisville Bats minor league park have a design that, simply put, is NOT in compliance with the rules. The shape of the pole is like that of an extended telescope with the fat part at the bottom & it incrementally gets skinnier as you go up.

As you can see from the photo, it appears (with the naked eye) the bottom (widest) part of the pole is "ok". The outer edge of the pole it line up with the outer edge of the foul line. Moving up, the next section's outer edge is 1-1.5 inches "inside" fair territory.

The impact? Any ball that hits anywhere on the pole is still fair. That's good. However, at the top section of the pole... A ball that misses the pole "foul" by up to 4-5 inches (my estimation) would hit a "properly designed" pole and be a HR. Yes, that same ball at this park would miss this one & just be a strike. EGREGIOUS!!

View attachment 2540

Pretty exciting day at the 'ole ball park, eh?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

View attachment 2540

Well, at least both teams use them! Besides baseball isn't always fair and you can't cry .......

Until we replace the umpires with robots, the game will always have more egregious problems ....... in the ACC tourney, some optometrists association sponsored the umpires I think .....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, at least both teams use them! Besides baseball isn't always fair and you can't cry .......

Until we replace the umpires with robots, the game will always have more egregious problems ....... in the ACC tourney, some optometrists association sponsored the umpires I think .....
Cannot tell... based on the way you worded your response.. if you agree with me.

But the "unfairness" you reference & more egregious problems (over my foul pole observations) that baseball may have are FEATURES rather than flaws as far as I'm concerned... when it comes to baseball.

#norobotsorcomputersinbaseball
#speedofgameisperfect