Fanbase Size

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Came across this study that analyzed the size of the fanbase for all FBS teams. Lots of interesting data. Some really interesting takeaways that either support or refute some narratives.

GT is 8th in the ACC+ND in fanbase at 1.28 million. 39th in the nation.

We're the third highest in fans relative to our undergrad population, by their estimate, right behind Miami. (I question this, personally.) GT is also highly ranked for 'potential fans'. Though this is based on geography.

No surprise, the top 16 teams - the usual suspects (and somehow, Syracuse?) are on a different plane of existence. SEC and B1G are different animals. The ACC needs to find a way to get ND inside the house.

My takeaway is that GT is in a better position than I would've guessed. I believe we have a lot of opportunities to expand our footprint if the Institute, alumni and GTAA will engage and invest. In a potential mega conference realignment, Tech is in decent position. Some marginal gains and we could be in a really great position.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Came across this study that analyzed the size of the fanbase for all FBS teams. Lots of interesting data. Some really interesting takeaways that either support or refute some narratives.

We're the third highest in fans relative to our undergrad population, by their estimate, right behind Miami. (I question this, personally.) GT is also highly ranked for 'potential fans'. Though this is based on geography.

No surprise, the top 16 teams - the usual suspects (and somehow, Syracuse?) are on a different plane of existence. SEC and B1G are different animals. The ACC needs to find a way to get ND inside the house.

My takeaway is that GT is in a better position than I would've guessed. I believe we have a lot of opportunities to expand our footprint if the Institute, alumni and GTAA will engage and invest. In a potential mega conference realignment, Tech is in decent position. Some marginal gains and we could be in a really great position.
One thing that rings true to me is that GT is highly ranked for potential fans. I base that on an unscientific reading of a substantial rise in the number of GT bumper stickers that appeared in this town during Tech's three straight over the pups from '98 - '00. The town I'm talking about is Athens. Yeah, the potential is there. Just win and they will come.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I would love to see his underlying methodology but cannot find and links in the study that indicate that. My guess is there are some assumptions there which may not be accurate in GT's case.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
One thing that rings true to me is that GT is highly ranked for potential fans. I base that on an unscientific reading of a substantial rise in the number of GT bumper stickers that appeared in this town during Tech's three straight over the pups from '98 - '00. The town I'm talking about is Athens. Yeah, the potential is there. Just win and they will come.
I know we need them, and will welcome them when they come...but I really do dislike front-runners.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The only 2 things that really matter are game attendance and financial support. Financial support is probably more important. Fans that live too far away to attend games need to send a check. Just watching on TV and posting on message boards don’t help the program.

Edit: Financial support is more important. Now more than ever.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The only 2 things that really matter are game attendance and financial support. Financial support is probably more important. Fans that live too far away to attend games need to send a check. Just watching on TV and posting on message boards don’t help the program.

Edit: Financial support is more important. Now more than ever.
Yes! And don't forget the most important thing...Financial Support! Send them checks people!

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Yes! And don't forget the most important thing...Financial Support! Send them checks people!
I didn’t mean to accuse people here of not supporting the team. The “posting on message boards” comment came across as snarky. I like to think everyone on here either attends as many games as they can or sends the program a check. IMO you can still be a “fan” if you do neither, but you don’t have any room to talk about the GTAA being too cheap to hire better staff etc. Gameday attendance means the most to the student athletes. Both are important.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t mean to accuse people here of not supporting the team. The “posting on message boards” comment came across as snarky. I like to think everyone on here either attends as many games as they can or sends the program a check. IMO you can still be a “fan” if you do neither, but you don’t have any room to talk about the GTAA being too cheap to hire better staff etc. Gameday attendance means the most to the student athletes. Both are important.
I think most people on the board don't actually post much, if at all. I didn't read it as snarky...it's just a reality that a lot of people like to complain the problem but aren't willing to be part of the solution (or don't know how.)

It's easy to think "I can't give enough to matter." So encouraging people to send in gifts, even very small gifts is good. It adds up. If every Tech grad alive gave $50 more than they have, then I bet we'd be in pretty good shape. Not everyone can spare even that...and I understand that situations change.

But if you want to see Tech do better then give something if you can.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
1.28M sounds awfully inflated to me. I know social media isn’t everything, but if you look at our total followers on the GT football and primary GT Athletics accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram it doesn’t add up to 1.28M. Not even close

Twitter
GT Football - 106.6k
GT Athletics - 50.3k
Total - 156.9k

Facebook
GT Football - 84.7k
GT Athletics - 91.5k
Total - 176.2k

Instagram
GT Football - 79.3k
GT Athletics - 33.1k
Total - 112.4k

Combined total - 445.5k

Now obviously everybody who is a fan of Georgia Tech sports isn’t going to follow them on any kind of social media. But there are also a lot of people who follow more than one of those accounts, and get counted multiple times in the tallies. I personally follow both GT Football and GT Athletics on both IG and Twitter, so I’m getting counted 4 different times. I think the numbers would be close enough to cancel each other out, and say that we have pretty close to 450k fans total.

I do think we have a very large of extremely casual and cautious fans, especially around the state of Georgia. People who don’t give money, don’t go to games, and might not even watch games on TV. But they keep up with the outcomes and watch from a very safe distance, never really revealing they’re a GT fan unless we’re really good. If you added up all of those people we might get close to 1M, but the state of GT athletics right now is holding most of those back from their fandom. The only way to get those folks on board is to win, and continue to win.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I personally follow both GT Football and GT Athletics on both IG and Twitter, so I’m getting counted 4 different times. I think the numbers would be close enough to cancel each other out, and say that we have pretty close to 450k fans total.
And I don't follow either on anything. So we average out. :) There are a lot of people who are fans but don't need push notices about GT news. I, for one, am perfectly happy instigating my information searches on GT without having it pushed to me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And I don't follow either on anything. So we average out. :) There are a lot of people who are fans but don't need push notices about GT news. I, for one, am perfectly happy instigating my information searches on GT without having it pushed to me.
One of the best features of this board is that I use other posters to filter and link material that I might find of value. It saves me from sifting through too much information. I am lazy. That is how I justify the expense of a GT Swarm membership. ;)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
But if you want to see Tech do better then give something if you can.
^^^ this

I’ve always felt that the “1 in 6 millionaire” line creates the perception that GT football is flush with cash. I know I have friends who support other schools that think that. And so it’s possible that some of our own fans believe that too and have no problem thinking someone else’s money will fix our issues.

It’s definitely not something I learned while attending Tech. I went for years not realizing the difference between the AA and the GTAA. Yeah, I admit that. I can’t be the only one.

Btw, I know of sidewalk fans that support the program financially. Those fans are solid gold IMO.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always felt that the “1 in 6 millionaire” line creates the perception that GT football is flush with cash.
Well, to be honest one the surest ways to become a millionaire is to not let your money out of your accounts.

So I'm not sure it's that big of a stretch to say that GT Alums are very prudent spenders on average.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer

Fascinating--thanks for posting!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
My dad grew up in Athens but is a big GT fan, so am I. Those 3 years were magical, but I think what happened was you saw already existing fans willing to advertise it a little more then cause the dwag fans had to stfu for once. I usually make a conscious decision not to wear GT gear just cause I don’t want to deal with the obnoxious attention.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
My dad grew up in Athens but is a big GT fan, so am I. Those 3 years were magical, but I think what happened was you saw already existing fans willing to advertise it a little more then cause the dwag fans had to stfu for once. I usually make a conscious decision not to wear GT gear just cause I don’t want to deal with the obnoxious attention.
To each their own, but I've never hesitated to wear GT clothing because of any setting, and I wear GT stuff quite often--and I'm by no means always surrounded by Tech fans. At some point, you gotta represent the "brand" and say **** 'em if someone doesn't like it. I get FAR more "Go Jackets" responses than I do anything negative. I don't remember (outside of a football gameday) ever having even gotten any grief from folks in Athens when I'm there and wearing GT stuff. Not saying this to be macho or whatever, I just figure I like what I like and don't care what some dwag thinks.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
To each their own, but I've never hesitated to wear GT clothing because of any setting, and I wear GT stuff quite often--and I'm by no means always surrounded by Tech fans. At some point, you gotta represent the "brand" and say **** 'em if someone doesn't like it. I get FAR more "Go Jackets" responses than I do anything negative. I don't remember (outside of a football gameday) ever having even gotten any grief from folks in Athens when I'm there and wearing GT stuff. Not saying this to be macho or whatever, I just figure I like what I like and don't care what some dwag thinks.
Yeah, down here where I moved in SE Georgia I'm in the total minority. But I wear GT stuff all the time and give as good as I take :) And I've found way more GT fans than was obvious if I hadn't represented!