Fan Day

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The entire team looks bigger. Some of these guys should be almost unstoppable, I dont know who was who but the defense blew up the OL several times ( I’d rather think that’s good rather than bad o line play ). Also it looks like they are working on player subs, every play they were running 2-3 defensive subs in. I don’t know if that’s just a result of this scrimmage or if they are actually trying to get people and plays in faster. Either way it’s needed.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I went and the practice ended at 10:40 even though the invitation said 9:00 to 11:30. That was disappointing since I arrived a little late.

Also, given the strict rules on how the NCAA limits practice time, I hope our coaches did not give away 50 minutes of practice time that they cannot get back.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
based on those videos Our offense just still doesn’t seem to have a polished passing game. Every completion still feels like a miracle in year 3.
I agree. I know it might me too much to ask but I won’t be optimistic until I see constant zip and completion throws. I hate the chucking throws because I’m not sure we are able to just dive against good corners. At least throw the seam and try against the safety’s. I feel like the deep fade against corners is always risky and low conversion.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree. I know it might me too much to ask but I won’t be optimistic until I see constant zip and completion throws. I hate the chucking throws because I’m not sure we are able to just dive against good corners. At least throw the seam and try against the safety’s. I feel like the deep fade against corners is always risky and low conversion.
Pro:
  1. we need to practice everything.
  2. Our QBs and receivers need to get solid with that part of the game
  3. our DBs need practice too
Con:
  1. Slants are that route where a good safety or LB can flat out destroy a receiver. (We do have more depth, now, though)
ETA: oh, yeah, we need to do it. We might get a bell rung or two, so be ready for that

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This kinda thing often has the d playing vanilla normally and the QBs throwing hero balls regularly.
Was that the case yesterday?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The entire team looks bigger. Some of these guys should be almost unstoppable, I dont know who was who but the defense blew up the OL several times ( I’d rather think that’s good rather than bad o line play ). Also it looks like they are working on player subs, every play they were running 2-3 defensive subs in. I don’t know if that’s just a result of this scrimmage or if they are actually trying to get people and plays in faster. Either way it’s needed.
Someone on here several mos. back mentioned that we might play a lot of players this year because we have a lot of depth and try and win in 4th QT., Fly around and out hustle opponents for some late wins makes sense to me. We shall have an idea in about 1.5 mos.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
based on those videos Our offense just still doesn’t seem to have a polished passing game. Every completion still feels like a miracle in year 3.
My views from a good seat: QBs did not have much time. Many passes were long and mostly incomplete or short for very small gains. Not much success in the mid range. The D covered the RB receivers well. RB runs looked good as usual but you cannot tell much with playing touch. . Yates's series reflected our O problems. First down run for 3 or 4 yards. Second down long pass incomplete or a pre-snap penalty for second and 11. Third down scramble from pressure and not enough yards to sustain the drive. D backs seemed to have close coverage and were catching up (mostly) on the underthrown (or late thrown) long balls. Aggressive pass defense. Several flags for D holding/hooking/grabbing shirt tails. Pre-snap alignments (slot backs up on the line) giving away the run but it is early in practice to correct that. I saw lots of sideline corrective coaching immediately after the play, especially with the D backs and receivers. Snaps from center were improved. Player physique looks really good. You can easily tell the first team from the size. Lots of good effort from players and coaches. We need to purposely run the QB more, especially if our pass completion % remains so low. Those plays seemed to work especially well as there is a lot of focus on Gibbs/Mason/Smith (as there should be).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of new faces on the roster, especially the walk-ons. We are finally getting some TE size (Billy Ward is impressive). Depth at LB seems to be a concern but we have filled other positions well.