Fall Camp News

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Long is talking a good game. He is exactly right that you have to establish a physical presence and run the ball to be an effective offense. We are not that team and have not been since Collins took over. Much like the Falcons, we can not line up and get the tough yard when we absolutely have to have it. We are weak in the red zone and we must show improvement to hope to win more games. Our defense has for the most part been an embarrassment. One of the worst in college football over the past several years. Again a lack of physical play at the line of scrimmage and a total porous coverage scheme has led to getting humiliated in many games. At this point, I am not going to get excited until these coaches and players demonstrate they give a damn about Georgia Tech and start playing with some fire and a showing that indeed they do give a damn.

Go Jackets!

You missed special (sic) teams.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Long is talking a good game. He is exactly right that you have to establish a physical presence and run the ball to be an effective offense. We are not that team and have not been since Collins took over. Much like the Falcons, we can not line up and get the tough yard when we absolutely have to have it. We are weak in the red zone and we must show improvement to hope to win more games. Our defense has for the most part been an embarrassment. One of the worst in college football over the past several years. Again a lack of physical play at the line of scrimmage and a total porous coverage scheme has led to getting humiliated in many games. At this point, I am not going to get excited until these coaches and players demonstrate they give a damn about Georgia Tech and start playing with some fire and a showing that indeed they do give a damn.

Go Jackets!
I have wondered which OL personnel we will try to run behind when we need tough yards in third and short. We seemed to try to run behind Johnson quite a bit last year with Gibbs without much success. Where is Shaq Mason when we need him!!!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Admittedly, I don't watch these every day, but I thought Thursday's trio of Coach Long, Dylan Leonard and Luke Benson were very good.
IMO, Coach Long sounds like A HC. He talks in specifics more than generalities, and he is obviously also a detail and discipline type of coach
Dylan Leonard is impressive- well spoken, mature, intelligent and motivated. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in the NFL one day.
Luke Benson is similar to Dylan - mature well spoken- but with apparently "elite" speed( I know we don't use that word anymore, but.......)

Your thoughts ?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to me: How much time Long is spending with the OLs. Sounds like he's focusing on that part of the offense during individual and matchup drills. Interesting because of Brent Key and his reputation. Hopefully we'll see a drastic improvement there. OL is the foundation of the offense. If it improves, our offense will follow.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to me: How much time Long is spending with the OLs. Sounds like he's focusing on that part of the offense during individual and matchup drills. Interesting because of Brent Key and his reputation. Hopefully we'll see a drastic improvement there. OL is the foundation of the offense. If it improves, our offense will follow.
Yep, the OLine and DLine in football are by far the most important positions on the field. RB’s, WR’s, DB’s, LB’s and QB’s are a dime a dozen. High school ball is full of 6’1 to 6’4 guys who can run, catch, and tackle and they are all mostly interchangeable which is why we’ve had dozens of A-backs and now dozens of DB’s and WR’s. We should offer every fat kid in high school a preferred walk on and then let Lew get the dead weight off and see who turns into a monster rather than have 10 WR’s who will never see the field and transfer.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

CCL has said he likes to spend time there because the run game is crucial to his scheme (wants 60%run - 40%pass)

I gather it is also to send a message about the blue collar work the Line does.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

Day 6 - fg drill news (Jude Kelly 4/4 including from 51 yds), a mild update on the battle for center, praise for keion white,

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, the OLine and DLine in football are by far the most important positions on the field. RB’s, WR’s, DB’s, LB’s and QB’s are a dime a dozen. High school ball is full of 6’1 to 6’4 guys who can run, catch, and tackle and they are all mostly interchangeable which is why we’ve had dozens of A-backs and now dozens of DB’s and WR’s. We should offer every fat kid in high school a preferred walk on and then let Lew get the dead weight off and see who turns into a monster rather than have 10 WR’s who will never see the field and transfer.
Trust me, QBs are not a dime a dozen. At least not good QBs.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Chip Long focusing on the OL is the best news I've heard all day.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don’t disagree with you at all. I’m just tired of sugar coating what we’ve all seen. When I say laid down, I’m talking about not doing all the little things throughout the game. I watched a player wearing a number between 1 and 3 purposely get a 15 yard penalty late in a game simply because he was getting punked by smaller, faster, better wide recievers. It was shoving a WR out of bounds late (I think it was late in the Pitt game). Thats just total lack of respect for your team or coach. I absolutely think we will be better this year because we got rid of a bunch of me first attitudes and the QB play was non-existent outside of UNC and there is no way Long will let that happen again. But watch, as soon as Long yanks Sims we’ll see whiny posts about a split locker room, blah, blah, blah. We’ll know by the end of game 3 if this team is any different. And I don’t even care about wins. My expectations are so low I just want us to look like something that is salvageable. Heck, I’m worried that Kerwin Bell will put 40 on us and I don’t know if our offense can put up 41 without a bunch of turnovers, ala KSU/UNC.
already rooting for sims to get benched. agendas are crazy man

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer