Fall Camp News

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's hard to take alot from Ken's observations because they are just that - usually 4 or 5 observations.

For example, he hasn't said anything about the run game at all - is that due to there really being nothing to report, or just he didn't prioritize reporting on it? We don't know.
On offense most of his observations have centered on Sims and the WR's. He has said that Sims appears to be throwing the ball well. He also had said that the for at least 2 of the days the WR's seemed to be outperforming the secondary (though he also mentioned one day that WR's were having some issues hauling in passes.)
On defense, he has talked most about the secondary.
hasn't really talked much about the OL or the Dl to this point.

Our offense was better than our defense last season and imo I expect that to continue this year. I think our OC is better than our DC and while we are relatively inexperienced in alot of spots, it feels like we have more experience on O than D.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are you implying here that the players laid down and took a Loss? I am not sure I follow the logic behind your post.

The game certainly was disappointing, and the coaching staff owns their Losses the same way they own their Wins. Having said that, I don't think I have seen a game where the team gave up (save maybe the last two games of last season).

If anything, to my eye at least, the team has largely rallied around themselves - coaching staff included - despite the deserved noise and turmoil surrounding the program.
I’m implying everything we are seeing now from players and coaches is the exact same as we heard 1 year ago. And what did Collins team do for him in game 1? They freaking laid down. It’s no different than what Johnson’s players did for him in his last game. They laid down. I hope Collins goes undefeated this season. But that has nothing to do with the past. Us fans have zero input to the coaching or the results. So you guys trying to determine who “good fans” or “bad fans“ is a bunch of nothing. Actions are the only things that matter. Maybe Collins players will actually fight for him this year. But they sure haven’t done it yet and he sure hasn‘t pushed them to do it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m implying everything we are seeing now from players and coaches is the exact same as we heard 1 year ago. And what did Collins team do for him in game 1? They freaking laid down. It’s no different than what Johnson’s players did for him in his last game. They laid down. I hope Collins goes undefeated this season. But that has nothing to do with the past. Us fans have zero input to the coaching or the results. So you guys trying to determine who “good fans” or “bad fans“ is a bunch of nothing. Actions are the only things that matter. Maybe Collins players will actually fight for him this year. But they sure haven’t done it yet and he sure hasn‘t pushed them to do it.
This is all from the outside looking in. That being said, other than them laying down in the first game last year, I don't disagree with these optics. I think we were out-hustled, outworked, and outcoached, but our guys didn't lay down. I believe we are all fans of GT first, student-athletes second, and coaches last (with many maybe not even fans of the coaches;)).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is all from the outside looking in. That being said, other than them laying down in the first game last year, I don't disagree with these optics. I think we were out-hustled, outworked, and outcoached, but our guys didn't lay down. I believe we are all fans of GT first, student-athletes second, and coaches last (with many maybe not even fans of the coaches;)).
I don’t disagree with you at all. I’m just tired of sugar coating what we’ve all seen. When I say laid down, I’m talking about not doing all the little things throughout the game. I watched a player wearing a number between 1 and 3 purposely get a 15 yard penalty late in a game simply because he was getting punked by smaller, faster, better wide recievers. It was shoving a WR out of bounds late (I think it was late in the Pitt game). Thats just total lack of respect for your team or coach. I absolutely think we will be better this year because we got rid of a bunch of me first attitudes and the QB play was non-existent outside of UNC and there is no way Long will let that happen again. But watch, as soon as Long yanks Sims we’ll see whiny posts about a split locker room, blah, blah, blah. We’ll know by the end of game 3 if this team is any different. And I don’t even care about wins. My expectations are so low I just want us to look like something that is salvageable. Heck, I’m worried that Kerwin Bell will put 40 on us and I don’t know if our offense can put up 41 without a bunch of turnovers, ala KSU/UNC.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's hard to take alot from Ken's observations because they are just that - usually 4 or 5 observations.

For example, he hasn't said anything about the run game at all - is that due to there really being nothing to report, or just he didn't prioritize reporting on it? We don't know.
On offense most of his observations have centered on Sims and the WR's. He has said that Sims appears to be throwing the ball well. He also had said that the for at least 2 of the days the WR's seemed to be outperforming the secondary (though he also mentioned one day that WR's were having some issues hauling in passes.)
On defense, he has talked most about the secondary.
hasn't really talked much about the OL or the Dl to this point.

Our offense was better than our defense last season and imo I expect that to continue this year. I think our OC is better than our DC and while we are relatively inexperienced in alot of spots, it feels like we have more experience on O than D.

I am not 100% certain, but I don't think full contact tackling has started yet which means the run game prep isn't as telling as the QB/WR sessions.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck

Gibson's view on the Offense. He says the goal is for the O to put up an average of at least 40 points per game.
Truthfully I was watching college highlights and the way the offense is being described sounds like the vols so maybe

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Long is talking a good game. He is exactly right that you have to establish a physical presence and run the ball to be an effective offense. We are not that team and have not been since Collins took over. Much like the Falcons, we can not line up and get the tough yard when we absolutely have to have it. We are weak in the red zone and we must show improvement to hope to win more games. Our defense has for the most part been an embarrassment. One of the worst in college football over the past several years. Again a lack of physical play at the line of scrimmage and a total porous coverage scheme has led to getting humiliated in many games. At this point, I am not going to get excited until these coaches and players demonstrate they give a damn about Georgia Tech and start playing with some fire and a showing that indeed they do give a damn.

Go Jackets!

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
From what I’ve heard: Sims is far away the best QB, really took the leadership piece seriously starting in spring ball, has improved his knowledge a lot with pre snap reads and adjustments with looking at the sideline while lined up. EJ Jenkins has been a absolute physical freak and just needs to get the separation piece down. Expect the TE’s to have a big year under long, Pe’Je and Benson at the more downfield deep ball spot and Leonard and Ward at the bigger TE spot. Offensive line is taking shape with Williams dropping a bunch of fat this off season and taking the weight room to another level. Keion white has been a beast in spring ball so far, just recking havoc on a daily basis, first time he’s played/played healthy football in almost 2 years. The slot receivers look good so far with Rutherford taking a big leap since year 1. Malachi Carter is still having his normal drop issues but with all the wide outs now being on the same level with Del Alexander as the position coach, don’t expect the #1 WR spot to just be handed to Carter like it was under Dixon. Myles Sims and Derrick Allen are starting to show why they were highly touted recruits out of HS, Kenayatta Watson has had a great spring with finally being healthy and looks to be the #3 corner. Once again, Jeff Sims has taken off this off season. Added lots of muscle to avoid injuries like in the pass and has became a big leader and has such a better mental standpoint now with why they are doing certain things and a lot do the pre snap stuff. Having Long, Wienke and analyst Jim Chaney have been huge from Sims this off season and demand a lot out of him which in result has made him a mentally tough QB now instead of quite mouth CDP.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I’ve heard: Sims is far away the best QB, really took the leadership piece seriously starting in spring ball, has improved his knowledge a lot with pre snap reads and adjustments with looking at the sideline while lined up. EJ Jenkins has been a absolute physical freak and just needs to get the separation piece down. Expect the TE’s to have a big year under long, Pe’Je and Benson at the more downfield deep ball spot and Leonard and Ward at the bigger TE spot. Offensive line is taking shape with Williams dropping a bunch of fat this off season and taking the weight room to another level. Keion white has been a beast in spring ball so far, just recking havoc on a daily basis, first time he’s played/played healthy football in almost 2 years. The slot receivers look good so far with Rutherford taking a big leap since year 1. Malachi Carter is still having his normal drop issues but with all the wide outs now being on the same level with Del Alexander as the position coach, don’t expect the #1 WR spot to just be handed to Carter like it was under Dixon. Myles Sims and Derrick Allen are starting to show why they were highly touted recruits out of HS, Kenayatta Watson has had a great spring with finally being healthy and looks to be the #3 corner. Once again, Jeff Sims has taken off this off season. Added lots of muscle to avoid injuries like in the pass and has became a big leader and has such a better mental standpoint now with why they are doing certain things and a lot do the pre snap stuff. Having Long, Wienke and analyst Jim Chaney have been huge from Sims this off season and demand a lot out of him which in result has made him a mentally tough QB now instead of quite mouth CDP.
Sounds good I'll see more on saturday