Fall Camp News

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Thatā€™s a 40 yard time, and is just a calculation of average speed across the 40 yards. It doesnā€™t take into account the fact that he started at 0 and probably reached speeds over 20 MPH within that timeframe. Collins didnā€™t say, ā€œWhite ran 20 MPH for 3 minutes straight.ā€ He said he got up to 20 MPH, which couldā€™ve been for 3 minutes, but was most likely only for a second or 2. That in no way negates the statement, ā€œKeion White ran 20 MPH.ā€
I read an article on FB Nation-Detroit. It discussed some of the faster NFL players such as Chris Johnson at 4.26 sec 40, which averages 19.3 mph. For the last 20 yards, though, he went 22.35 mph. Mario Fannin went 24.06 over the last 20 yards.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Thatā€™s a 40 yard time, and is just a calculation of average speed across the 40 yards. It doesnā€™t take into account the fact that he started at 0 and probably reached speeds over 20 MPH within that timeframe. Collins didnā€™t say, ā€œWhite ran 20 MPH for 3 minutes straight.ā€ He said he got up to 20 MPH, which couldā€™ve been for 3 minutes, but was most likely only for a second or 2. That in no way negates the statement, ā€œKeion White ran 20 MPH.ā€
This is true. Next gen stats clocks the peak speed of players on individual plays every week in the NFL though and only a handful are ever over 20 mph. The highest they recorded in the 2021 season was 22.13. That was live action so that's obviously different than if they were clocking white in a normal dash. I still think its really really unlikely for a near 300 lb guy to be running that fast at any point.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
This is true. Next gen stats clocks the peak speed of players on individual plays every week in the NFL though and only a handful are ever over 20 mph. The highest they recorded in the 2021 season was 22.13. That was live action so that's obviously different than if they were clocking white in a normal dash. I still think its really really unlikely for a near 300 lb guy to be running that fast at any point.
I hate to say this because it makes me want to throw up, but Davis from the cesspool had to be right at if not above 20 mph and he was ~340 when he ran at the combine. His first 10 yard were 1.6 and finished the final 30 in 3.1 seconds. Looking at data if you run a 40 under a 4.8 then you probabaly hit 20mph. Letā€™s hope White ran that fast because that explosive fast for that size.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Where did you see the average athlete runs at 10 MPH? Thatā€™s a 6 minute mile pace, which certainly wouldnā€™t be a sprint. The average person may sprint at 10 MPH, definitely not the average athlete.

20 MPH is elite level speed. There are only a couple dozen Major League Baseball players who have eclipsed 20 MPH this year out of around 500.

In a small burst 20 MPH is definitely achievable. But he absolutely wasnā€™t holding that pace for much more than 10 yards, if that.
Average athlete vs a track star. A weight lifter, for instance, or any sport that requires bulk, is not going to hit 20 mph. If you are talking about the average athlete.

The idea of a burst for a couple of seconds is how you get the higher measurements, such as Bolt hitting 27 mph for a few seconds. But clearly track athletes are on a different level.

Iā€™m willing to be convinced that a 300 lb football player could hit 20 mph but my brief internet search did not turn up any results like that.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the full version of CGCā€™s presser

Whether you like him or not, you have to appreciate his accountability that he acknowledges during the conference. I think, in the past, he may have deflected/side-stepped some of these questions and he did some here, but he was more direct. Was he as blunt or straightforward as CPJ, no. Was he a little more direct than he usually is, yes. Also, the reporter laid up the transition from the option question and he didn't take the bait. I don't think he has avoided that talking point before. Good on CGC

For the sake of GT, I hope we have a good year. I don't care who our coach is, I just want to win. That being said, we need to do a better job scheduling our OOC opponents. Other schools load up on easy wins to practice (look at Miami's 3 of their first 4 games). Our AD or whoever agrees to scheduling has to take into account that we play Clemson and uGA every year and save us the murderer's row after that. In an ideal world, we would not have to worry about things like this.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Better to play a team early that is breaking in a new OC and DC and has superior depth than later in the season. I suspect their playbook will be much simpler the first game than the last. They also don't know what our tendencies are on offense and we should have fewer guys out with injuries but that is always a big question mark after fall camp.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Thought I'd drop this here. CGC was on a podcast with K.J. Wallace and Kyle Hamilton (both formerly of Notre Dame, Wallace is now with us). He seems a little more relaxed and has a different vibe than what we get in the press conferences. A lot of this (his back story, philosophy, etc) are things that we have heard before, but I appreciate the different tone.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This is not an endorsement for our Coach (put the pitchforks down please) but I have always had the similar fault...I always trust data.

Reminds me of the guy who was the Maintenance Manager and Plant Engineer at a place I was responsible for. Dave always said "In God I trust...everyone else must bring data". Dave was a smart guy.
My data is the scoreboard and the win-loss column. :)

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Day 3 notes
It would be nice to be able to read this stuff. But behind a paywall....so useless to me.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Itā€™s a short article.
Heat is a factor in practices, so we practiced later.

Suguira gave an example of line coaching

Offense is ahead of the defense
It's weird that O is ahead of D this early in the practice session. Hopefully Collins can get them respectable (top half FBS) by the time TML.

Other topic is that practices for the rest of the session will be at 830 am

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's weird that O is ahead of D this early in the practice session. Hopefully Collins can get them respectable (top half FBS) by the time TML.

Other topic is that practices for the rest of the session will be at 830 am
I'd settle for our defense just getting anywhere close to the median. GT's defense hasn't been in the top 2/3 of the FBS in defensive efficiency under Collins and has been really bad in terms of P5 defenses.
In 2019 only 6 P5 schools had a lower rated defensive efficiency. It got somewhat better the COVID year where GT was ranked better than 15 P5 defenses, last year it was 2.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'd settle for our defense just getting anywhere close to the median. GT's defense hasn't been in the top 2/3 of the FBS in defensive efficiency under Collins and has been really bad in terms of P5 defenses.
In 2019 only 6 P5 schools had a lower rated defensive efficiency. It got somewhat better the COVID year where GT was ranked better than 15 P5 defenses, last year it was 2.
This is sad to say but if we at least see all 11 guys on defense actually being on the same page then that, by itself, should help us improve a bit. That's a pretty low bar because it doesn't depend on talent and mostly doesn't depend on depth (yes I know when there's an injury and one guy comes in to replace others it does change a dynamic but what I'm talking about is just everyone on the field knowing the play and knowing what they are supposed to do on that play AND getting the play called in a timely fashion).

If we also see some improved play at a few positions, even just a few guys taking a step up, that could make a huge difference, too. I have very low expectations right now because we kept Coach Thacker but let's hope the changes made around him are what the doctor ordered to heal the patient.