Fall Camp News

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope White is the real deal. We have not had much of a rush end in a decade, and we lost some with promise to other schools. It has just killed us in recent years that we cannot hurry a quarterback without blitzing. And our blitzes tend to be picked up and don't make much difference.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Thought I heard White himself say he was 285 lbs now, not sure because I cannot ever hear the damn questions. GT is it's own enemy so many times, they have to know we cannot hear the questions at least by now, yet they do nothing about it, has to be fixable, surely.
Question? Does any one know if we're expecting Josh Robinson to be a factor on the DL this year, have seen some things from him that looked pretty good to me?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Thought I heard White himself say he was 285 lbs now, not sure because I cannot ever hear the damn questions. GT is it's own enemy so many times, they have to know we cannot hear the questions at least by now, yet they do nothing about it, has to be fixable, surely.
Question? Does any one know if we're expecting Josh Robinson to be a factor on the DL this year, have seen some things from him that looked pretty good to me?
No they’re just waiting until week 10 to get a mic going. As they do every year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Collins said White was going 20 mph in practice. Since the average athlete runs about 10 mph (Usain Bolt once peaked at 27 for about 2 seconds) what did Collins mean?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Collins said White was going 20 mph in practice. Since the average athlete runs about 10 mph (Usain Bolt once peaked at 27 for about 2 seconds) what did Collins mean?
The soccer teams were I teach wear these vests that measure speed in mph. 20 mph (in bursts) is really great in soccer (iirc) at the HS level and that is without pads. The kids who run this fast are getting futbol schollies for the most part. The best players in the world in the European top level leagues are at 21-22 mph. So, if the numbers reported are true, 20 mph in football gear would be pretty impressive (imo).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They have gps units that track position - thus velocity. I guess peak speed would matter for a defensive end as long as it's within a short distance.

Collins has a bad habit of believing data is truth.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Where did you see the average athlete runs at 10 MPH? That’s a 6 minute mile pace, which certainly wouldn’t be a sprint. The average person may sprint at 10 MPH, definitely not the average athlete.

20 MPH is elite level speed. There are only a couple dozen Major League Baseball players who have eclipsed 20 MPH this year out of around 500.

In a small burst 20 MPH is definitely achievable. But he absolutely wasn’t holding that pace for much more than 10 yards, if that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Collins has a bad habit of believing data is truth.

This is not an endorsement for our Coach (put the pitchforks down please) but I have always had the similar fault...I always trust data.

Reminds me of the guy who was the Maintenance Manager and Plant Engineer at a place I was responsible for. Dave always said "In God I trust...everyone else must bring data". Dave was a smart guy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The fastest 40 time for a defensive linemen in the combine since 2003 was 4.36 seconds which is a little over 18 mph. That guy was nearly 50 lbs lighter than White. Let’s just assume it’s an overestimate.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The fastest 40 time for a defensive linemen in the combine since 2003 was 4.36 seconds which is a little over 18 mph. That guy was nearly 50 lbs lighter than White. Let’s just assume it’s an overestimate.
Also Collins has been prone to over estimate the correlation of data ( rotate dbs, dl; effort index, no injury report, group prepared game plan) for team in transition to being a winner.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That’s a 40 yard time, and is just a calculation of average speed across the 40 yards. It doesn’t take into account the fact that he started at 0 and probably reached speeds over 20 MPH within that timeframe. Collins didn’t say, “White ran 20 MPH for 3 minutes straight.” He said he got up to 20 MPH, which could’ve been for 3 minutes, but was most likely only for a second or 2. That in no way negates the statement, “Keion White ran 20 MPH.”