Explain the Hewitt hate to me

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
In slight fairness to Hewitt about the St. Johns job, as I recall he indicated his family did not want to move back to NY and that wasn't just his wife but he had I believe teenage girls at the time who loved it here and in their schools. My point is that I still blame the contract more than his taking advantage of it. I can concede letting his ladies veto the move if this version is accurate. He never should have been given such a contract to begin with and that is all on Braine and Tech.

But I certainly agree with the impression that he was smug about losing and refused to take necessary steps to improve the situation.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
In slight fairness to Hewitt about the St. Johns job, as I recall he indicated his family did not want to move back to NY and that wasn't just his wife but he had I believe teenage girls at the time who loved it here and in their schools. My point is that I still blame the contract more than his taking advantage of it. I can concede letting his ladies veto the move if this version is accurate. He never should have been given such a contract to begin with and that is all on Braine and Tech.

But I certainly agree with the impression that he was smug about losing and refused to take necessary steps to improve the situation.

I remember that but I also remember those girls picked up and moved to Washington as soon as he had the GT check in his pocket.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I remember that but I also remember those girls picked up and moved to Washington as soon as he had the GT check in his pocket.
You mean once he was fired and took the Mason job? I think circumstances were changed enough then as opposed to his voluntarily taking the St. Johns job over (possible) strong protests from his family. And DC is not NYC.

I definitely hated that he didn't take the St. Johns job and I agree that had he done so it would have greatly salvaged his reputation in the eyes of the Tech fanbase, so it is too bad he didn't.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I kind of had a rift with "Coaching Changes" the other day on Twitter where at the end he proclaimed that our Hewitt hate was race related.
That's ridiculous. Did you blast him?

How many years was Hewitt retained again? And how many years after being fired will Tech have continued to pay him? Clearly only a racist institution and fan base would do all that.

Just look at the Memphis fans posting here about CP as proof otherwise. And CP had a similar contract, but yet did not stay as long and also has left and freed them of the contract.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That's ridiculous. Did you blast him?

How many years was Hewitt retained again? And how many years after being fired will Tech have continued to pay him? Clearly only a racist institution and fan base would do all that.

Just look at the Memphis fans posting here about CP as proof otherwise. And CP had a similar contract, but yet did not stay as long and also has left and freed them of the contract.

I laughed and let it go when he proclaimed that @dtm1997 was reasonable about the situation because he was a black fan, to which dtm replied.....

I'm not a black fan......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You mean once he was fired and took the Mason job? I think circumstances were changed enough then as opposed to his voluntarily taking the St. Johns job over (possible) strong protests from his family. And DC is not NYC.

I definitely hated that he didn't take the St. Johns job and I agree that had he done so it would have greatly salvaged his reputation in the eyes of the Tech fanbase, so it is too bad he didn't.

The point is that he was still getting paid by Tech and didn't need to move if keeping his ladies in Atl was the priority.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow

In fact, that's a false statement and perfectly demonstrates the way that dissatisfaction with the coaching job, etc., transforms into "hate". Looking at some of the recent replies - he got lazy, he never cared about Tech, he just wanted to stick it to Tech, etc. Supposition stated as fact, which I guess is SOP for online forums.

His oldest child was in 11th grade when he was fired. He moved to Washington, while his wife and kids stayed in Atlanta until the oldest graduated from high school the next year, then followed him.

I believe that they also had other family living in Atlanta, which might have been another factor in turning down St. John's.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In fact, that's a false statement and perfectly demonstrates the way that dissatisfaction with the coaching job, etc., transforms into "hate". Looking at some of the recent replies - he got lazy, he never cared about Tech, he just wanted to stick it to Tech, etc. Supposition stated as fact, which I guess is SOP for online forums.

His oldest child was in 11th grade when he was fired. He moved to Washington, while his wife and kids stayed in Atlanta until the oldest graduated from high school the next year, then followed him.

I believe that they also had other family living in Atlanta, which might have been another factor in turning down St. John's.

Which they could've done the year or two previous, and oldest child isn't only family member.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

I think his parents may have retired from NY to Atlanta, but it could be that he had a brother and their family here and the parents still in NYC. Either way, yeah, I think his claiming family reasons to just stick with the job he had are believable. But it woulda been sweet if he had taken it! This is why I stick with the contract being the biggest factor exacerbating feelings for him into hate. It gave incentive to his staying way past the point of no return.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I kind of had a rift with "Coaching Changes" the other day on Twitter where at the end he proclaimed that our Hewitt hate was race related.
It was not race related it there was definitely a racial element to it. Not necessarily from you, but from the segment of our fan base that was up in arms about his involvement with the association of black coaches. Go search through Stingtalk.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It was not race related it there was definitely a racial element to it. Not necessarily from you, but from the segment of our fan base that was up in arms about his involvement with the association of black coaches. Go search through Stingtalk.

Nah, I'm good. Of course there are some douchebags that would take it there. But as a whole, I don't believe it to be the case.