Expectations

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Not typically impressed by ESPN analytics, so take this with a grain of salt

I see 5 wins on that remaining list maybe 6 if BK can get me an upset. I’m still predicting 8 or 9 wins with the bowl game.

I don’t know much about Syracuse but being on a Penn St forum a few of these dudes believe Syracuse is pretty good and will keep getting better. They brought in a few good players and it’s working. It was a tough game Saturday and we lost on the road but imo it was t a bad loss.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, at 2-1, we're right where I thought we would be at this point. We just took a surprising route to get here.

If we get to six wins and a bowl, I think we will have done well this year given the schedule.

I was suggesting an "Ivy League" approach to football just a few years ago, so this is an amazing turnaround from the president's office on down. The staff and the recruiting classes have me feeling very optimistic about the future.

I still have concerns about the future of college football and advocate for the relegation system, but recent events have me thinking that a seat at the Big 10 table is still possible.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, at 2-1, we're right where I thought we would be at this point. We just took a surprising route to get here.

If we get to six wins and a bowl, I think we will have done well this year given the schedule.

I was suggesting an "Ivy League" approach to football just a few years ago, so this is an amazing turnaround from the president's office on down. The staff and the recruiting classes have me feeling very optimistic about the future.

I still have concerns about the future of college football and advocate for the relegation system, but recent events have me thinking that a seat at the Big 10 table is still possible.
I hope you’re right about the big 10. Can you imagine Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Washington and the other big 10 teams playing in Atlanta I would think most of these games sell out and that’s a huge win for Ga Tech football and the fans. I get excited thinking about it 😂 it also would be a big win for the big 10 because they’re going to get Ga Tech one of the best schools in the country plus better recruiting for most sports but especially football.

Last edited:

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I said going into this season that my expectations weren't going to be based on a win-loss number. We play a brutal schedule - in opponent strength, how it lines up and in the travel/away draws we got. What I wanted to see was progress in our team playing like a good football team. We're not going to be the biggest, fastest, most talented team week in and week out. But do we play clean, protect the ball, play well on special teams, have good technique in tackling and blocking? So far, we look better in most of those areas. Not perfect. But our tackling has been mostly better. Outside of (BS IMHO) holding calls against GSU, we've played pretty clean. Few turnovers. Special teams has been great - nearly helped us manage a miracle comeback last Saturday. Birr's misses have been on long kicks.

The hype machine got a little ahead of the wheels after the FSU game. Syracuse ended up being an unexpectedly tough draw on the road. McCord is a great passer. But I'm pleased with where the team is at. We kept competing and very nearly made a huge comeback.

Just two years ago, we couldn't get punts or kicks off, couldn't cover, couldn't block or tackle, threw more INTs than TDs, made stupid self-defeating penalties. Go watch the UCF game from 2022 and then try to be mad about where we're at now.

Expectation? We'll continue to compete in every game. Some weeks, the other team will be better. We'll pull off some upsets. We might drop a game we feel like we should win. We'll get better as the season goes, but the W/L column might not show it, since we play some legitimately very good teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I said going into this season that my expectations weren't going to be based on a win-loss number. We play a brutal schedule - in opponent strength, how it lines up and in the travel/away draws we got. What I wanted to see was progress in our team playing like a good football team. We're not going to be the biggest, fastest, most talented team week in and week out. But do we play clean, protect the ball, play well on special teams, have good technique in tackling and blocking? So far, we look better in most of those areas. Not perfect. But our tackling has been mostly better. Outside of (BS IMHO) holding calls against GSU, we've played pretty clean. Few turnovers. Special teams has been great - nearly helped us manage a miracle comeback last Saturday. Birr's misses have been on long kicks.

The hype machine got a little ahead of the wheels after the FSU game. Syracuse ended up being an unexpectedly tough draw on the road. McCord is a great passer. But I'm pleased with where the team is at. We kept competing and very nearly made a huge comeback.

Just two years ago, we couldn't get punts or kicks off, couldn't cover, couldn't block or tackle, threw more INTs than TDs, made stupid self-defeating penalties. Go watch the UCF game from 2022 and then try to be mad about where we're at now.

Expectation? We'll continue to compete in every game. Some weeks, the other team will be better. We'll pull off some upsets. We might drop a game we feel like we should win. We'll get better as the season goes, but the W/L column might not show it, since we play some legitimately very good teams.
💯 percent.

We will be competitive in every game and, if not, it won’t be for lack of effort. Over the last two years there has been consistency in how we approach each game. This is very different from where we were and any opponent trying to overlook us will pay the price.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I still think we get to a bowl game. The team is better than last weekend, and we only lost by 3 at an away game. There will be improvement.

I already see the end of the year coming in nicely. Texas and Tenn will beat the mutts, then we spoil this new 12 team playoff at the end of the year by being their third loss

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that we have a better chance of beating ND and Miami than of beating Louisville.
They made the ACC Championship game last year, have looked good (albeit against poor competition), and it's on the road. Road games are hard to win in the ACC, doesn't matter whether you're playing Stanford or Clemson.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck

This is important for fans to understand. The way we got here is probably not how most thought we'd get here, but IIWII. The football gods will vigorously enforce destiny upon us!

I do think our defense is better than last year. It feels like our offense may have regressed from last year, but I honestly just think our expectations have changed and thus, it feels like we've regressed. I don't think we actually have regressed. 'Cuse has definitely provided a blue print to stomp us - but teams will still need to have the players in place to do it. On our remaining schedule, I think only UGA and Miami have the type of QB to do what 'Cuse did. I think many fans think it's easy to dink and dunk the ball in the passing game - but it's not as easy as it seems. The QB has to have perfect timing and placement.

Anyways, I say all that to say this: we SHOULD be bowl eligible at the end of the season. ND, NC State, VT are all much more winnable games than everyone thought before the season started. UNC and dook look very beatable. Things are headed in the right direction and Key's hard work and influence are beginning to show. The culture change is still ongoing, but it's evident.