Expectations for Strength & Conditioning this off season

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
This is a fetish around here. Actually, our OL was almost always bigger then the DLs we went up against. And usually the opposing DLs were about the same size as ours. This is the way it usually goes. I had a little time on my hands so I looked at the starting lineups for Tech and our opponents. Here's a selection that includes our usual starting lineup (it's the one for UNC) before injuries on DL really hit us and those of our Coastal opponents, OL first then DL:

Tech| 295, 314, 305 (Lay), 305, 310 / 275, 285, 302, 258 (that's with Dawson and Owens)

Duke| 295, 315, 305, 315, 305 / 265, 285, 305, 255

da U| 285, 345, 301, 310, 300 / 256, 306, 290, 260

Pitt| 320, 310, 305, 315, 320 / 260, 290, 295, 265

UVA| 285, 315, 305, 305, 300 / 225, 300, 295 (they use a 3 man front)

VT| 311, 316, 305, 305, 300 / 239, 290, 288, 245

NCSU| 308, 300, 305, 323, 290 / 289, 315, 291, 256

Now, let's look at Clempson and Ugag:

Tiggers| 345, 330 310, 325, 315 / 249, 295, 295, 265

Ugag| 320, 335, 330, 318, 340 / 300, 304, 274

I think the problem here is that everybody is predicating how big our lineman should be based on two outlier cases: Clemson and Ugag. Those outfits have bigger then normal OLs and DLs. And, yes, it would be nice to have linemen like they do. But … so far, despite heroic efforts and finding some top grade linemen on both sides of the ball, Tech hasn't been able to recruit them regularly. Compared to our Coastal opponents (btw, I had to leave out UNC; no data), we stack up ok in terms of size though some outfits (Pitt, especially) have more size in depth then Tech does. And some of those players do need to beef up and probably will. Overall, however, the complaints about line sizes simply don't hold up when the data is considered.*

* One caveat: the sizes given for linemen by programs are notoriously inaccurate. The best that can be said is that the weights given are probably what the players are carrying when the season started. It's not unusual for that figure to fluctuate down, sometimes by as much as 15 pounds. No way to tell, of course.
Source: https://ramblinwreck.com/2019-football-game-notes-depth-charts/

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
Great to see this comparison - thanks for your hard work . You list weight but not height which is also important especially at Defensive End and D Tackle since those guys are involved in pass defense.
Depth and experience are also important - hopefully the experience our under class-men got this season will pay dividends in the future

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Great to see this comparison - thanks for your hard work . You list weight but not height which is also important especially at Defensive End and D Tackle since those guys are involved in pass defense.
Depth and experience are also important - hopefully the experience our under class-men got this season will pay dividends in the future
Thanks; it wasn't all that hard. The data is all arranged very nicely at the source.

Heights are comparable as well, however, except for Pitt. Like Tech, other schools tend to put their taller guys up first, but it isn't a hard and fast rule. When Cooper wasn't injured, only one of our usual starting OLs (Hansen at 6'2") was below 6'3". Losing Kenny wasn't a good thing, though Lay came along quite well as the season progressed. But it really was sorta mix and match out there due to the on-and-off injuries that several players (Minihan, Clark, Hansen, Maye) had. With any kind of luck (and stopping all this scrimmage during the season crap) we will see some continuity and, maybe, with some frosh help (though I'm hoping it won't be needed) better OL performance from the start next year.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe they just aren't very talented. But they sure worked hard and played hard.

New scheme and completely different techniques. The OL weren't going to master it in a year. It did help towards the end of the year when the same guys stayed in the rotation.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I never know how accurate the listings are but the weight on the Oline impressed me at the start of the season. Ultimately the Oline was going to experience some growing pains in the new offensive schemes and due to seeing new defensive schemes. The injuries also really set them back at the start of the season. An experienced QB could have helped mitigate some of the Oline struggles but that wasn’t an option for tech this year.

I believe the bigger growth will be on the defensive line. The ATL chart for the defensive line often included 7 freshman. One week 7/10 were freshman. I’m not sure if they will all gain 10 lbs but I’d expect them to be stronger. Someone like Chico Bennett could come back looking like a different player from his current 6’4” 228 lb frame.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Look for our team to continue lifting dumb bells in pregame warmups next season.
I didn't know we were doing that. This is almost as stupid as knocking once the season starts. Before a game you need to stretch, not tighten up. And, needless to say, this does nothing to build either strength or endurance.

And, yes, I do think I know more then the training staff, if this is their doing. But I doubt it is.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know we were doing that. This is almost as stupid as knocking once the season starts. Before a game you need to stretch, not tighten up. And, needless to say, this does nothing to build either strength or endurance.

And, yes, I do think I know more then the training staff, if this is their doing. But I doubt it is.
BTL players only?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
He still had a SDE size build to me. What’s his weight at now? I know they want him at DT

The last I heard was 285+. He’s at least 6’-4” (maybe taller) so there’s room for more weight. From what I remember he was a basketball player with only a year or two of high school football experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk