Existential Crisis?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It was the 1979 catalog that eliminated it as a requirement. My wife knows well as she withdrew from the class once and is convinced she could never get the rings and would never graduate. But the catalog was changed in 1979 and she graduated in 1980.

And it was in the Navy ROTC building.

An existential crisis differs from a run of the mill crisis in perceived importance. I've tried to make jokes about it but keep erasing them since neither are funny to those experiencing them. I guess a run of the mill crisis is when a crisis is someone else's and existential when it's yours. I currently just accept IIWII (and that GT baseball will never again advance to regionals.) (Too heavy for a GameDay, but the different life cycle crisis and some conceptual frameworks are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_crisis ).
Created a method of water survival called Drown-proofing at Georgia Tech in 1938 at the request of the U.S> Navy.
The class was a requirement for graduation from 1940 through 1986.
• Lanoue was also the diving and swimming coach and won many conference titles over the years.
• The program was adopted by other schools and was featured in Life Magazine in the 1950s.
• The method won acclaim from the military during World War II.
• The method is used to train the U.S. Navy Seals today.
• Lanoue was an amateur inventor and constantly came up with gadgets related to underwater adventures and experiments.
• He was very frugal and bought his clothing from secondhand stores.
• He taught physically handicapped children how to swim.

Link to GT website source

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about this more, we may both be right and the requirements vary by college. My wife was in health systems.
I have no idea. I do know that Summer of '87, I took Fitness: Theory and Evaluation (one of two courses that met the PE requirement for graduation at the time). I had a senior in my class who was of Chinese heritage. He sank like a rock. He was an AE major and was finally taking this because he had put off and put off and put off Drown-proofing. He said they finally made it not mandatory. After your story, I figured he had just lied to me. Now, seeing above, I think he was truthful. I don't know if it varied from college to college, but apparently in the College of Engineering, the 1985-86 catalog was the last required catalog for drown-proofing. I came in under the 1986-87 catalog.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Created a method of water survival called Drown-proofing at Georgia Tech in 1938 at the request of the U.S> Navy.
The class was a requirement for graduation from 1940 through 1986.
• Lanoue was also the diving and swimming coach and won many conference titles over the years.
• The program was adopted by other schools and was featured in Life Magazine in the 1950s.
• The method won acclaim from the military during World War II.
• The method is used to train the U.S. Navy Seals today.
• Lanoue was an amateur inventor and constantly came up with gadgets related to underwater adventures and experiments.
• He was very frugal and bought his clothing from secondhand stores.
• He taught physically handicapped children how to swim.

Link to GT website source
Getting out in '86, I do remember it being a requirement. Thank you for providing evidence I was not nuts for thinking it was the case. Definitely not a "fun" elective most would choose.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Getting out in '86, I do remember it being a requirement. Thank you for providing evidence I was not nuts for thinking it was the case. Definitely not a "fun" elective most would choose.
I took the swimming (drown-proofing) class at Ugag and I'm pretty sure it prevented me from drowning once when I got caught in a rip tide which carried me way out into water over my head.
I can barely swim in the conventional style (front crawl) but learned how to swim on my back in that class and that's how I made it back to shore, after I remembered to go parallel to the shore to get out of it.
Everybody should know how to survive in the water. Some people swim like fish, but I swim with great splashing and thrashing about, to little result - until I turn over on my back.

slugboy

Staff member
I graduated in 89. I had the option to graduate under my original catalog with drownproofing or a newer one without it. I took drownproofing.
To this date, I have not yet died of drowning.
One of the basketball players had do drop—his body fat was so low he couldn’t float to save his life or his grade. It was the older pre-Olympic pool, and he went straight to the bottom of the deep end.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It's not as easy as it looks.
Sure it is, jumping is easy, you just have to be committed. ;)

Jumping In GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos