Exhibition Game vs Alabama

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rather than bitching and moaning, I will offer up a true concern, Big James. He has been virtually invisible on the offensive end in the first two exhibitions.

He should have dominated against Georgia College, and he 6pts/8boards against Bama. We are going to need a lot more from him on that end of the court.

He’s one of my favorite players on the team, and I’m sure he will come around, but he has to assert himself quickly.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why stop with Banks? Moses has 1 rebound. DeVoe only gets up three 3 pointers. Moore gets starter minutes and 2 points on one shot. There is more than enough "wealth" to spread around here

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What makes people believe in the off season we can go from a bottom of the barrel team that lost on the first day of the ACC tournament to a good team? We lost to an injury depleted Notre Dame team in our last game and now some think we are going to be good. I don't see it. This was only an exhibition but it is an indication...... Also if you are a good team, then you can be experimenting with different combinations of players. If you are a bad team, you need to be creating a belief you can be good by being the best you can be always and building confidence that you can compete. The Alabama game really built confidence - getting blown out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What makes people believe in the off season we can go from a bottom of the barrel team that lost on the first day of the ACC tournament to a good team? We lost to an injury depleted Notre Dame team in our last game and now some think we are going to be good. I don't see it. This was only an exhibition but it is an indication...... Also if you are a good team, then you can be experimenting with different combinations of players. If you are a bad team, you need to be creating a belief you can be good by being the best you can be always and building confidence that you can compete. The Alabama game really built confidence - getting blown out.

Never react heavily to scrimmage results.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just love when people make uninformed absolute statements such as this one. No team has ever outperformed their record from the previous year. Laughable that anyone could draw a conclusion from a game that they didn’t even see..lol

In fairness, I think a lotta people haven't truly assessed what we've added to the team.

Honestly, it's probably general frustration with the direction (perceived or otherwise) of the program seeping into their "analysis".

To my credit, I'll at least wait until I watch games before I go full-on Negative Nelson mode. (y)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What makes people believe in the off season we can go from a bottom of the barrel team that lost on the first day of the ACC tournament to a good team? We lost to an injury depleted Notre Dame team in our last game and now some think we are going to be good. I don't see it.

Bottom of the barrel? We finished 10th in the ACC last year. Not good, but not bottom of the barrel (not even bottom third).

Anyways we return our top 3 players, all of whom showed flashes of great, not just good, play last year. Consistency was the biggest issue with all 3, and going from a soph/fr/first year being a big time contributor to a jr/soph/second year big time contributor should help with that. In addition one of our issues was having to play Jose and Mike too much and we added another quality PG to help out. That PG, Parham, was also a very high volume 3 point shooter who also made them at a 40% rate which addresses another big issue from last year when Heywood could never find his stroke. Otherwise we had a young team last year and a year of experience should help. Guys like Moore, Sjolund, Wright, and Cole will all be better able to handle the roles they are asked to do, and were asked to do too soon in years past.

. Also if you are a good team, then you can be experimenting with different combinations of players. If you are a bad team, you need to be creating a belief you can be good by being the best you can be always and building confidence that you can compete.

A scrimmage is one of the few times you can play around with different combinations in real game scenarios without risking anything. The idea that only good teams will benefit from trying out different combinations is silly. If anything it's teams like us who most of all need to know whether we can go small, or can get away with only one ball handler, etc etc.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't know much (never pretended to with regards to basketball) but will admit I don't feel encouraged by the two scrimmage results. I would have thought that simple talent would have carried us along better in both games than the results showed....but what do I know? <shrugs>

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well - I did not see the game nor am I featured member - but I did see most of the games last year and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night - Losing on the first day of the ACC tournament qualifies as bottom of the barrel at Holiday Inn. And this team lacks size beyond Banks, shooting and ball handling not good either. Hope they finish with 20 wins.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well - I did not see the game nor am I featured member - but I did see most of the games last year and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night - Losing on the first day of the ACC tournament qualifies as bottom of the barrel at Holiday Inn. And this team lacks size beyond Banks, shooting and ball handling not good either. Hope they finish with 20 wins.
I disagree with your assessment. I think we have good shooting (we'll have at least 4 kids shooting over 35% 3pt), good size (at least 4 guys 6'9"/6'10" and good size on the wing), decent to good ball handling (Alvarado, Phillips, Devoe, Parham) and will hold our own in the ACC and with the rest of our schedule. I believe we are a high mid-tier ACC team. Not only are our players from last year a year older, bigger, stronger, and developed, we have a number of new pieces that fit well. I watched the GC and am comfortable with the offense. We'll see regarding defense. The Alabama scrimmage was just that, a scrimmage. Scrimmages are where you work on things, not try to make a statement.

GT11

GT Athlete
I disagree with your assessment. I think we have good shooting (we'll have at least 4 kids shooting over 35% 3pt), good size (at least 4 guys 6'9"/6'10" and good size on the wing), decent to good ball handling (Alvarado, Phillips, Devoe, Parham) and will hold our own in the ACC and with the rest of our schedule. I believe we are a high mid-tier ACC team. Not only are our players from last year a year older, bigger, stronger, and developed, we have a number of new pieces that fit well. I watched the GC and am comfortable with the offense. We'll see regarding defense. The Alabama scrimmage was just that, a scrimmage. Scrimmages are where you work on things, not try to make a statement.
Correctly stated

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Its just a scrimmage but there is almost nothing that looked good in this game except maybe Cole's shooting.
If we were playing our famous zone --we aren't getting it done.They KILLED us on 3s and then the boards by 12..The Offense was pathetic 8 assts and 24 TOs. Parham ,our 3 pt savior was 0-2. Devoe--o assts and 4 TOs.

True,we will see what happens but we have a lot of experience now -enough not to look like this.