Excellent Article from SBNation

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I just look back at last year for an answer. On offense, we were starting a new QB that the consensus said was too small and fragile to last the year plus his passing had not turned any heads when he was a R-FR. Byerly would be the starter by mid October. We were also starting three new OL; a R-FR with no experience at RT, a R-SO at C coming off a year rehabbing, and a LT that most thought was a non-entity. We were hoping that Devine would beat out Braun, but he showed up 100 lbs overweight. We had also lost our best A back (Godhigh) and our starting B Back, Sims. Waller had been a major disappointment at WR as had Perkins, Zenon, and Bostic at A Back. Those that thought playing Days at A Back was ridiculous were right. We hoped Laskey and Connors could hold down the fort at B Back so we could redshirt Leggett. About the only two players we were reasonably confident about were Smelter and Shaq. Yet somehow................
This is exactly how I remember it.
I wrote on FTRS that objectively speaking Tech had 7 major question marks going into last season and that, even though I was optimistic, it normally only takes 3 or more question marks to sink a season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think other teams are going to try to put a hat on JT every play and see if he'll last. He's fast and elusive, so it'll be hard to hit him square, but I watched FSU demolish Lil' Joe 2 yrs in a row with late hits and cheap shots. That's the only way they beat him, both years. I guarantee there'll be cheap shots and late hits all over the place. They will try to get physical with him. I hope he's plenty slippery.
If they want to hit late, I'm all for it. Refs are all about protecting qb's these days, even after they take off and run with it. You're spot on with FSU and lil' Joe, but those were different times.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Another thing, if we're holding the '12 season's offensive production up as a benchmark for this year, heaven help us. We'd be taking a major step down.

yards/play:
'14: #10
'12: #38

We were significantly better in scoring and ypg, too.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-play
Not exactly a fair comparison. Our QB and OL were WAY better last year than 2012. Put Tevin at the helm of last year's offense and we'd probably be closer to 38th than 10th in yards/play.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think other teams are going to try to put a hat on JT every play and see if he'll last. He's fast and elusive, so it'll be hard to hit him square, but I watched FSU demolish Lil' Joe 2 yrs in a row with late hits and cheap shots. That's the only way they beat him, both years. I guarantee there'll be cheap shots and late hits all over the place. They will try to get physical with him. I hope he's plenty slippery.
Early in the year JT was very aggressive about initiating contact at the end of his runs, and showed more power than I expected. After the Duke injury I think him and coach had a talk about winning the war, not the battle, and you started to see him go OOB way more when he was getting roped in. After all, that extra yard or two doesn't mean jack if you have to miss the game.