Excellent article comparing Justin Thomas & Tracy Ham

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting and encouraging. I have seen a lot of both, although the Ham memories are getting fuzzier all the time. The greatest similarity is that both seem to be playing at a different speed than everyone else on the field. It always looked as though Tracy Ham was a 45 rpm record when everyone else was set at 33. Same for Justin.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
JT is faster than Tracy. Tracy is probably a little better passer. Both with strong arms (maybe Tracy's was a touch stronger - watch that throw to Frankie Johnson to win the 85 national championship. If the Sylvania Flash doesn't catch it, it was going through the wall) and Ham had some serious touch. Without even peering at that article, having seen both of them play many times, they both have that confidence in themselves and that confidence from their teammates that they will find a way to make something good happen.

One big difference. I don't think the first thing said in every huddle with JT is "Don't drop the snap." Tracy would drop the snap a lot. Of course, he'd pick it up and turn it into a 20 yard gain.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Interesting and encouraging. I have seen a lot of both, although the Ham memories are getting fuzzier all the time. The greatest similarity is that both seem to be playing at a different speed than everyone else on the field. It always looked as though Tracy Ham was a 45 rpm record when everyone else was set at 33. Same for Justin.
In the past I have seen posts from guys who saw Ham at GSU and were musing then, 3-4 years ago, what Johnson could do with his offense if he had a Ham clone. Now it seems we know. I've seen other tape of him and can understand how he was elected to the College Hall of Fame. I thought at some point I read that he was helping Johnson a little bit as he was working in Atlanta. Anybody know if that is true?

Declinometer

Banned
Both good but not to many similarities other than both running the sa me offense.
Ham became a MVP Canadian League professional QB as well as a Grey Cup champion. JT is not that type of QB

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I just watched some YouTube, and they have at least three things in common: great vision, remarkable feet, and a gunfighter-type throwing motion that seems almost shortarmed but gets the ball out in a hurry.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The potential combination of Thomas and Snoddy reminds me more of Greg Hill and Bennie Cunningham at Southern. Hill was fast but Cunningham could fly...as evidenced here.

That play was the combination of 3 things: a) good offensive execution, b) poor defensive execution, the mlb allowed himself to get sucked into the trash, anticipating dive, and 3) good speed.
I've seen it a thousand times at GT.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
That play was the combination of 3 things: a) good offensive execution, b) poor defensive execution, the mlb allowed himself to get sucked into the trash, anticipating dive, and 3) good speed.
I've seen it a thousand times at GT.

I don't think PJ has run much Twirl since he's been at Tech. That was my favorite play at Southern. Great job by Bennie taking that pitch almost off his shoulder pad without breaking stride. He still gets grief for getting in AP's way at the end of The Run.
Bennie wasn't even the fastest guy on the team. I think that honor belonged to either Greg or Mark Myers. That's how fast that 99 team was. Just glad Greg got to go out a winner. One of the nicest guys in the world.

to compare JT to Greg Hill might be more apt because of their speed. But JT has a stronger arm than Greg. Greg worked very hard to be an effective threat throwing the ball. JT's already there and past that.