EX-GT FB Player Tidbits

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some nice complements for a couple of ex-GT players from those guys in Boston:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...deflategate/B0xQCYqRyxeZvQ4VKk5tQP/story.html

Demaryius Thomas just missing the cut as a top 10 NFL player in the writer's opinion:

The NFL Network commenced its annual ranking the top 100 players in the league earlier this month, with J.J. Watt taking home the No. 1 spot and Brady ranking No. 3 (behind Aaron Rodgers) in a vote of players. For what it’s worth, here’s how we rank the top 10 players in the NFL: Rodgers, Watt, Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Joe Thomas, Justin Houston, Tyron Smith, Dez Bryant, Cameron Wake, Richard Sherman. Just missed the cut: Antonio Brown, Ben Roethlisberger, Sheldon Richardson, Ndamukong Suh, Demaryius Thomas

Shaq Mason

Now that Dan Connolly has retired, it increases the likelihood of one of the Patriots’ rookie guards earning a starting spot this year. The money here is on Tre Jackson, the Florida State product who is more pro-ready than Shaq Mason and has an instant rapport with center Bryan Stork, Jackson’s college teammate. Mason has great athleticism and is a mauler in the run game, but after playing in the triple-option attack at Georgia Tech likely needs time to develop his pass-blocking skills

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting analysis of Aaron Donald versus our boy Shaq Mason in the 2013 Pitt/GT game:

http://dragplus.com/post/id/30938057

As you recall, Donald absolutely lived in our backfield all game. I remember him embarassing Mason a few times, but this analysis was able to single out the 1v1 matchups and Mason actually more than held his own against Donald. Considering all the factors the author lists, quite a few pro scouts were probably sold on Mason after watching that tape if they weren't before. Donald had an absolute monster rookie season in the NFL. Hopefully, we'll say the same thing about Shaq next year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Interesting analysis of Aaron Donald versus our boy Shaq Mason in the 2013 Pitt/GT game:

http://dragplus.com/post/id/30938057

As you recall, Donald absolutely lived in our backfield all game. I remember him embarassing Mason a few times, but this analysis was able to single out the 1v1 matchups and Mason actually more than held his own against Donald. Considering all the factors the author lists, quite a few pro scouts were probably sold on Mason after watching that tape if they weren't before. Donald had an absolute monster rookie season in the NFL. Hopefully, we'll say the same thing about Shaq next year.
Read his analysis of every single play and was quite impressed by how well Shaq neuralized Donald on plays where they lined up against each other. Shaq is definitely one the best offensive linemen to play college football in the last few years.

Also found myself thinking all over gain about Shaq's statement that the most difficult tackle he faced all year was JHD. Roll that around in your mouth and let it settle into your brain.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Some nice complements for a couple of ex-GT players from those guys in Boston:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...deflategate/B0xQCYqRyxeZvQ4VKk5tQP/story.html

Demaryius Thomas just missing the cut as a top 10 NFL player in the writer's opinion:

The NFL Network commenced its annual ranking the top 100 players in the league earlier this month, with J.J. Watt taking home the No. 1 spot and Brady ranking No. 3 (behind Aaron Rodgers) in a vote of players. For what it’s worth, here’s how we rank the top 10 players in the NFL: Rodgers, Watt, Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Joe Thomas, Justin Houston, Tyron Smith, Dez Bryant, Cameron Wake, Richard Sherman. Just missed the cut: Antonio Brown, Ben Roethlisberger, Sheldon Richardson, Ndamukong Suh, Demaryius Thomas

Shaq Mason

Now that Dan Connolly has retired, it increases the likelihood of one of the Patriots’ rookie guards earning a starting spot this year. The money here is on Tre Jackson, the Florida State product who is more pro-ready than Shaq Mason and has an instant rapport with center Bryan Stork, Jackson’s college teammate. Mason has great athleticism and is a mauler in the run game, but after playing in the triple-option attack at Georgia Tech likely needs time to develop his pass-blocking skills

I am not sure I put much credence into the opinions of a writer who doesn't include Megatron in his NFL top 10 or just missed the cut. No way is Gronk, Bryant, or even D Thomas better than CJ.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure I put much credence into the opinions of a writer who doesn't include Megatron in his NFL top 10 or just missed the cut. No way is Gronk, Bryant, or even D Thomas better than CJ.

While Megatron is still the most physically gifted WR in the league, his production was down last year, and he's had some injury issues the past couple of seasons. Still very productive, but Bryant and BayBay have paced the league in WR production the past 2 seasons.

It's not a knock on Megatron...it's just these subjective rankings are very much a "what have you done for me lately" exercise.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
While Megatron is still the most physically gifted WR in the league, his production was down last year, and he's had some injury issues the past couple of seasons. Still very productive, but Bryant and BayBay have paced the league in WR production the past 2 seasons.

It's not a knock on Megatron...it's just these subjective rankings are very much a "what have you done for me lately" exercise.

i agree with what you say, but a knowledgeable football writer/opinionist not only looks at production but how the other team has to react and role coverage to that WR. I guarantee you, while bebe is a top 10 WR, none of those guys on this list demand the double and triple coverages calvin sees and calvin still puts up baller numbers. Sure, bryant and bebe will get doubled or bracketed time to time, i am not saying they don't....just saying CJ its a ridiculous amount.

everyone in the league would put him in the top 10, no question IMO. But if you are the writer and go purely on stats then it is what it is..injuries combined with some ridiculous coverages. Heck, I think the Saints put 3 guys on him every time on the goal line or something LOL

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Wasn't it just two seasons ago that Megatron set the single season yards record? One subpar (for him) season and everyone wants to call him washed up. Anyone who thinks he's falling off is going to eat those words at the end of the year.
Btw, anyone else frustrated at the Lions? They wasted the career of the best RB I've ever seen play and are on the way to doing the same with the best WR of this generation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And perhaps to add the obvious point to the comments about Megatron......
If every team in the NFL had to replace a wide receiver on their team, and they could choose any wide receiver in the league for that replacement, who do you think would be their first choice?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i agree with what you say, but a knowledgeable football writer/opinionist not only looks at production but how the other team has to react and role coverage to that WR. I guarantee you, while bebe is a top 10 WR, none of those guys on this list demand the double and triple coverages calvin sees and calvin still puts up baller numbers. Sure, bryant and bebe will get doubled or bracketed time to time, i am not saying they don't....just saying CJ its a ridiculous amount.

everyone in the league would put him in the top 10, no question IMO. But if you are the writer and go purely on stats then it is what it is..injuries combined with some ridiculous coverages. Heck, I think the Saints put 3 guys on him every time on the goal line or something LOL

Oh I agree...that's just one guy's opinion. I was just giving some color as to why he would leave Calvin off. I read an article the other day when they were discussing Bryant's and DT's new contract, even though Calvin has been a bit injured recently and his production has fallen off, if you're a GM, the first WR you pick is Calvin...and that's no debate. There is still no one like him even after all these years since he's been drafted.

I think the thing with CJ is that he's so freaking gifted people measure him with different set of standards from other WRs. His bar is set higher, so when he doesn't get 90+ catches and 1500+ yards a season it's a disappointment. Nevermind the fact that, as you point out, his value is found in other ways people don't see in the stat sheets. You give CJ Peyton Manning or even Tony Romo, and he's going to put up MONSTER numbers...I'm not sure Stafford has the mental acuity to manipulate defenses to take advantage of a weapon like CJ. It's amazing how much better of a WR DT has become, and how fast his learning curve accelerated after Manning came to Denver.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Oh I agree...that's just one guy's opinion. I was just giving some color as to why he would leave Calvin off. I read an article the other day when they were discussing Bryant's and DT's new contract, even though Calvin has been a bit injured recently and his production has fallen off, if you're a GM, the first WR you pick is Calvin...and that's no debate. There is still no one like him even after all these years since he's been drafted.

I think the thing with CJ is that he's so freaking gifted people measure him with different set of standards from other WRs. His bar is set higher, so when he doesn't get 90+ catches and 1500+ yards a season it's a disappointment. Nevermind the fact that, as you point out, his value is found in other ways people don't see in the stat sheets. You give CJ Peyton Manning or even Tony Romo, and he's going to put up MONSTER numbers...I'm not sure Stafford has the mental acuity to manipulate defenses to take advantage of a weapon like CJ. It's amazing how much better of a WR DT has become, and how fast his learning curve accelerated after Manning came to Denver.
you watch Staffords highlights, and it's endless throws into a double and sometimes triple covered megatron. Guys an animal.