Evan Cole to Transfer

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I suspect basketball is not driving his decision. He may go someplace with a decent MBA he could get into.

slugboy

Staff member
I suspect basketball is not driving his decision. He may go someplace with a decent MBA he could get into.

The list of schools doesn’t mesh all that well with strong MBA programs (though UAB has a great medical program, and Cal-Poly is a heckuva school at what it’s good at)

Arkansas
San Diego
Santa Clara
Utah Valley
Cincinnati
Cal-Poly
Boise St
Cal State
UAB
Eastern Michigan
Cal Baptist
Santa Barbara
San José St.
Charlotte
GA ST
Kennesaw St

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, he talked to the AJC about his decision, and said:
"I just want to do what’s best for me,” said Cole, from South Forsyth High. “It’s really nothing against Georgia Tech. I’ve loved my time there for the past three years. I just want to see if there’s other options.”

and then:
“I’m just looking for more consistent minutes and a bigger role”

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
An article in the AJC on the Sjolund and Price transfers reminded me that Sylvester Ogbonda left after last year with one year of eligibility remaining. What he did at Ohio may be what Cole is looking for.

Annotation 2020-03-12 195224.png

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-12 195224.png
    Annotation 2020-03-12 195224.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 19

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
An article in the AJC on the Sjolund and Price transfers reminded me that Sylvester Ogbonda left after last year with one year of eligibility remaining. What he did at Ohio may be what Cole is looking for.

View attachment 7955
I don't disagree more and consistent minutes may be driving Evan's decision - if that is what he feels is best for him, then great! He graduated GT in 3 years which is no easy feat.

I watched three Ohio U games on TV this season because I wanted to see Sylvester Ogbonda and how he did.
-- He did get 25+ minutes in the games I watched ... definitely got consistent playing time.
-- He did not show me anything on the court we had not seen in the few minutes he got at GT the last season or two.
>>>>> He would not have gotten minuted at GT this past season beyond late game blowouts and being an emergency big.

Evan would get more minutes this coming season that Ogbonda would have - but I would be surprised if he averaged more than the low 20 minutes (more some nights, less others).
I wish him well.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems to me that for the first time in years we are concerned about who stays which means that
most of us, including myself, believe we have strong talent. The transfer business is beginning to worry me. It seems that
any school can now go after any other school's players. This may be banned but I don't see the NCAA keeping up to date on
all of the transfer portal activity. If Duke needs a capable junior or senior, I'm sure the grapevine will reach out to several
qualified candidates. I'm so glad to see that Tech has reached some degree of stability for the first time in years. Tech is now
managed by a coach who knows how to plan ( one can't predict everything) and can create the most out of good talent.
Pastner can, I think, become a great coach if we stay behind him.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Utah Valley all the way

He run that campus.

Sadly, for Evan, I believe he is making a mistake. The others not so much.

He would have benefited by being with Coach R another year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems to me that for the first time in years we are concerned about who stays which means that
most of us, including myself, believe we have strong talent. The transfer business is beginning to worry me. It seems that
any school can now go after any other school's players. This may be banned but I don't see the NCAA keeping up to date on
all of the transfer portal activity. If Duke needs a capable junior or senior, I'm sure the grapevine will reach out to several
qualified candidates. I'm so glad to see that Tech has reached some degree of stability for the first time in years. Tech is now
managed by a coach who knows how to plan ( one can't predict everything) and can create the most out of good talent.
Pastner can, I think, become a great coach if we stay behind him.

It's going to get alot worse once the NCAA approves and enacts the new transfer rules that allows one free transfer for an SA. (A SA can transfer one time and have immediate eligibility, after that transfer if they transfer again they have to sit a year, no exceptions). The only thing is whether it will go into effect this summer or later. Once it does, then you basically have limited free agency for the SA's.

Right now roughly 750 basketball players transfer each year (there are 353 Div 1 programs). i expect that number to increase significantly once SA's are given more freedom of movement.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's going to get alot worse once the NCAA approves and enacts the new transfer rules that allows one free transfer for an SA. (A SA can transfer one time and have immediate eligibility, after that transfer if they transfer again they have to sit a year, no exceptions). The only thing is whether it will go into effect this summer or later. Once it does, then you basically have limited free agency for the SA's.

Right now roughly 750 basketball players transfer each year (there are 353 Div 1 programs). i expect that number to increase significantly once SA's are given more freedom of movement.

If/When that happens it will be almost impossible to count on get old/stay old as a strategy the way we (and ND/UVA) try to do it. Spending a ship and a ton of development time on guys who are likely to walk out the door is going to be hard to justify/sustain. There will be exceptions obviously, but generally you will be looking for freshmen who can crack the top 8 or so and scanning the waiver wire to fill in the specific need you have for the coming year - shooter/big/whatever. It will be hard to count on the guy you spent 2 years on developing will still be there.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I look at facial expressions and body language on the bench. I fret over guys who are wearing "The Look." Price played early but his minutes tapered to zero and it didn't look like he was enjoying it. Moore also had periods where he had "The Look." Not Didenko, though. He looked to be enjoying his time on the bench.

But the truth is I don't know squat and I feel a little grimy trying to guess who might be on the outs.

I noticed "that look" on Price's face too towards the end of the non-conference schedule. Also Price was 17 for much of the year and away from home the first time. Tech can be a pretty daunting experience for an 18 year-old or even older student is a regular student and not a SA. IF Price was overwhelmed by it all, I'm not surprised. Georgia Tech ain't for everybody and everybody ain't for Georgia Tech.