Evan Cole to Transfer

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Whenever a player transfers or leaves early, there is always the loss of what was and the loss of what could be.

What hurts about Cole leaving isn't what he gave us this year being gone. It's that he was an option for a whole that we have, that now we have one less option for. I liken it to when Haywood transferred last year. Would Haywood, as he was last year, have helped us much this year? No. I doubt he would have played much over Usher or Bubba with how he played last year. However, he had the potential for more, to give a sharpshooter off the bench that could provide a scoring threat that we ended up lacking. That's what we lost. Another option that could have stepped up. If Cole isn't here next year, I doubt very much that we miss the production he gave us this year. But it's very likely, as it currently stands, that we'd miss having him as an option to turn to, because now our hand is pretty much forced.

Of course, this does open up the discussion of what other players could we bring in, recruit or transfer. Maybe a nice 4* shakes loose late and our late surge helps us get an in. Hell, maybe Clemson fires Brownell and PJ Hall reconsiders his decision. At the very least it opens up one more thing to talk about to help kill time in the offseason.
I think it also possibly points out one of the difficulties in a "get old, stay old" model, particularly with a coach who tends to play only 7 or 8 per game. With the number of transfers every year, can you really develop players over time and have them stay to contribute once they've gotten old?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The team will still be very experienced with six Seniors and Juniors and four returning starters that are either Seniors or Juniors. I don't think we have had enough attrition to start questioning the "Get Old, Stay Old" strategy, at least on that basis.

slugboy

Staff member
It's a bit of speculation on my part but could it be possible that Cole had no other choice but to leave? I'm no expert but if he is graduating in a couple of months, wouldn't that mean he'd have to be enrolled in Graduate School at Tech in order to have eligibility at Tech next season? Getting into Graduate School at Tech isn't the easiest of tasks for anybody and a lot of guys don't make it. I'm told that The Hill doesn't do many favors as far as Grad School athletes are concerned. So......

Any first hand knowledge about whether he could get admitted is going to be rare in most places. When a player transfers to GT or away, it’s worth thinking about playing time as well as what they want to study at the new school. If Cole is thinking about continuing in basketball after college (better odds in Europe, maybe), then he’s had three years with Reveno—maybe another front court coach is what he could use right now. Or, a grad degree from a different school for a career after basketball. Maybe just a place by the beach where he can be a BMOC for a year or so.
Unless he just blossomed in the offseason, he wasn’t going to be the central player here next year. I’d love him to come back and for me to be wrong on that. Devoe and Jose are the central two, Moses is thriving, and Usher is the slashing player with a ton of potential. In some respects, his numbers are better than Usher’s, but I see more of a role for Usher in whatever offense we’re going to run.
I don’t think he’s going to play center in the ACC, and his minutes might not go up a bunch at PF next year. I don’t think we’d roll out a Wright-Cole-Usher-Devoe-Alvarado lineup as our base.
I’m not sure what we will roll out, though.
Getting a transfer big does sound really good, if wishful thinking. I’m not sure what we do at 5 next season.

====================
Late addition: Seguira interviewed Cole about the Transfer Portal: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ins-transfer-decision/aowPdq38aZznHJEwexJwwL/
Partially looking for more playing time, but Pastner wants him to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think it also possibly points out one of the difficulties in a "get old, stay old" model, particularly with a coach who tends to play only 7 or 8 per game. With the number of transfers every year, can you really develop players over time and have them stay to contribute once they've gotten old?

I actually think timely transfers are a key part of the get old stay old strategy. No coach bats 1.000 when it comes to recruiting regardless of strategy. Sometimes a player just won't develop like projected and it's probably better for the program they transfer early rather than stay all 4 years. The key is replacing them with a quality recruit to begin developing. For instance, when Haywood transferred last year, I don't think it really hurt us all that much this year, but it would have been real helpful had we landed a center in last year's class that would be a rising sophomore right about now.

Likewise, even if we don't land a replacement for Cole down low, if we land a quality PG that could be big for helping us overcome the loss of Jose and Bubba next year and the loss of Mike the year after.

I don't think get old, stay old means never play youth at all, but rather you always want to have a core group of juniors and seniors to build around. I don't think Cole changes that. Our core group next year will be Jose, Mike, Moses, and Jordan. Having that core group can help cover for playing a guy like Saba early. And the experience Saba gets next year will pay off down the road, because just being old isn't enough. Being experienced is a big part of that and you have to play to have experience.

Look at UVA. Last year they played a freshman Clark 27 mpg. He wasn't a tremendous player for them, but they had the players to cover for him as he learned, and it payed off this year with him stepping up. A similar thing is happening this year with Casey Morsell getting 22mpg.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think @ChasonBaller has been double agent'ing us this whole time.

Chason: Evan...go to GT, play some ACC ball, get that world class degree...then transfer to GA State your senior year and we can run this school! Batman and Robin...

Ohhh, techster throwin that high-key (not low-key) shade.

Lemme get my popcorn while I wait for @ChasonBaller to scorch your earth.

:D

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Is he able to go to another ACC school? If so, I think I remember he committed to Keatts at UNC-Wilmington before Keatts went to State. I wonder if that would be an option for him.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Where at? He didn't even start for us and we didn't make the tourney any of his years here. I was thinking this is a weird decision because he won't be finding more playing time than he would be getting here next season unless he drops down a level. Just my opinion.
Start for us and we look likely to be a tourney team. That’s what I meant.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was looking for Evan to improve over the off-season and be a major factor for us.

With that being said, Khalid+Usher+Moses probably gets more minutes than Usher+Moses/Cole. He'd probably get most minutes from relieving Moses. And then we have the new guys.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
Is he able to go to another ACC school? If so, I think I remember he committed to Keatts at UNC-Wilmington before Keatts went to State. I wonder if that would be an option for him.
Yes - no restrictions on grad transfer. Pierre Jordan who played for GT as grad transfer a few years ago was at Florida State before coming to GT.
What you are thinking of is a regular transfer ... while NCAA does not prohibit players from transferring in-conference, the ACC (and some others) have policies which discourage transferring to another school within the conference.

As I stated earlier - Even should do what is best for Evan ... we don't know for certain what is important to him. I hope that he is happy and successful no matter what he decides.

I view this as an opportunity to land an upgrade (would be nice to land a 'center' with a little more size that is equal or even a little better than Evan).
The opportunity to play immediately if the person is good enough makes GT an attactive place for a big to come next season even if for one year.
There is article in the AJC

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ins-transfer-decision/aowPdq38aZznHJEwexJwwL/

In it, Pastner says he would like Evan back ... and Evan is welcome back ... but Pastner is going to recruit to land someone in that spot. Evan says he completely understands CJP needs to recruit behind him in case he leaves... so if Pastner lands someone he wants before Evan decides he would want to come back there won't be a spot for him. If Evan decides he wants to come back before we land someone in his place, he appears to be welcome back.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
What if! What if the unreliable NCAA finally acts on our appeal (ironically after our post season decision) and leaves a 12 man roster ruling intact. Then we wouldn't be able to fill his position, as best that I can see. Hope this doesn't happen, of course.

bos

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Pastner knew Cole was transferring after this season, which is why he signed 2 bigs while going hard after another (Kai Sotto). It likely has more to do with education than basketball, considering Cole is not expected to play pro anywhere. I don't think this will be the last transfer we see. I'm expecting a couple more.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Cole played better last year in his limited minutes. I hope things mutually workout, whether that's Cole finding a good situation elsewhere or returning. As senior / junior heavy as we are, I would rather use this scholarship to bring in a high-potential prospect. Maybe not someone who is Day-1 ready, but someone who can take the year to develop. I actually think development is a relative strength of CJP's - particularly among big men.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I feel like Pastner knew Cole was transferring after this season, which is why he signed 2 bigs while going hard after another (Kai Sotto). It likely has more to do with education than basketball, considering Cole is not expected to play pro anywhere. I don't think this will be the last transfer we see. I'm expecting a couple more.
We dont really have anymore to give, so I'm not sure where you think the transfer is coming from. Losing Cole hurts, dont want to lose a Moore or Sjolund

bos

Helluva Engineer
We dont really have anymore to give, so I'm not sure where you think the transfer is coming from. Losing Cole hurts, dont want to lose a Moore or Sjolund

regardless of how much Tech has to give, kids will transfer. There are a few kids on scholarship that don’t belong in ACC and a couple more that have graduated/close to graduating